• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Spigot Mount Adapter for Magnetospeed Sporter

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Was really excited to hear about the spigot adapter that MPA came out with for the Magnetospeed so you could free float the chronograph and not have any POI shift when shooting or doing load development. However, the one they came out with was only for the full size V3 chrono and not the Sporter. I'm assuming that's because the Sporter model doesn't have enough room on the top to attach a rod and still have it get close to the barrel. The only way to make the Sporter work would be to mount from the bottom. I spent a bit of time figuring it out and I think I've got a winner. Really happy with how it turned out.

Parts list:
Quick Connect Picatinny Rail Adapter (knockoff of ADM style clamp) - $10 on ebay
Aluminum L channel - $4 from Home Depot
Screws, Nylon lock nuts, washers - $2.50 at the local hardware store
Sling stud/swivel - already had on hand

The QD clamp was a two piece clamp with screws already countersunk for the pic rail attachment. (see shortened ebay link here for the one I got - https://tinyurl.com/ya49qpu7 ). I removed the screws and drilled all the way through the picatinny rail to fit my longer replacement screws. The notched pic rail section rests against the edge of the L channel to help prevent twisting. I added enough washers to give me the proper standoff. At the other end I drilled a hole through the L channel to fit the screw from the sling stud, and located it so that the L channel rests against the side of the Magnetospeed to keep it from twisting. You can use the screw knob from the magnetospeed since it is the same thread pitch and also uses a sling stud swivel for the strap.

Clips on/off in seconds, really light weight, and is very rigid due to the L channel material which prevents twisting and flex.

Hope this is helpful to someone else. You should be able to make one in under 30 minutes with just a drill and a hacksaw to cut the L channel to length.

h0sO8Cj.jpg

TVk606M.jpg

1810ruG.jpg

Cool! I may just do this for my V3 anyway and save myself $90 and the wait.

Hi Sheldon. Any update on how well this is holding up? Any new mods you've made to make it better? I can't see spending $100+ on the similar mounts I've seen released lately and really like what you've done.

Hi Sheldon. Any update on how well this is holding up? Any new mods you've made to make it better? I can't see spending $100+ on the similar mounts I've seen released lately and really like what you've done.

It's been working great thus far, no changes. I've found that it's even easier to get on/off than the traditional magnetospeed strap. The QD mount is really handy.

I did find that the position of the sensor is such that you may need to adjust sensitivity to pick up the bullet. I'm running H1 sensitivity for 6mm 105g bullets. I tried it this week for the first time with 223 bullets and I think the position is just a tiny bit too far away from the bullet path to get a good reading. At H2 sensitivity and 75g bullets it wasn't getting consistent readings. I suppose I could tweak the washers/position to get it closer to bullet path, but I haven't bothered yet. May not end up doing so since I shoot primarily 6mm.

Old thread I know, but starting out in lr shooting and trying to get all kinds of stuff to handload, this is a great idea and really like the low cost of the attachment. Saved