• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MPVO for AR15/10

rauchman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2011
Greetings,

Long time lurker now having a desire to get into shooting an AR platform (both AR15 and AR10) past 100 yards. I joined a range in northeast NJ called Cherry Ridge, which goes out to 300 yards, and also have limited access to a friend's range going out to 600 yards. At some point, would like to get into something like 2/3 gun as well.

• What is the platform for the scope? - AR15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .223 / 5.56mm and .308 / 7.62x51mm
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Up to 600 yards range, hoping to get into competition
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight, Nighttime, etc. or any combination thereof
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 300-600 yds, 100-300 yds, under 100 yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, Parallax, MPVO, Light
  • What is the price range you can afford? Preferably below $1k, but up to $1.5k
Currently, the best scope I own is a Delta Stryker 1x6. Zero complaints with the scope, but I'd like something with more magnification, without as much focus on 1x. Something better suited to longer range, FFP, as light as possible but sturdy, low end magnification of 2-4 / high end magnification of 10-16, Xmas tree reticle with the reticle itself being usable on the low and high magnification and preferably illuminated. Seems to be a tall order. I may use an MRDS in conjunction with this scope.

Personally, I'd prefer non China, but if the offering hits what I'm looking for, I have zero problem with getting that optic (another of saying, please keep the politics out of this thread).

I've read a bunch of threads on this site and others and it seems there are a few offerings that come in at my price point. If there are other options, or options that are north of $1k, but less than $1.5k, please suggest them. Below are the options that I've come across that appeal to me. They all are a compromise in some way or another, but they seem to be in the general ballpark of what I'm looking for. Having zero experience with these, any detailed feedback on the pro's/con's of these offerings would be greatly appreciated. I do kinda question how "good" the $500'ish offerings are. Are they worth the money spent, or will I be falling victim to "I should have bought something more expensive but "better"" buy once, cry once? And yes, the keyboard commando in me wants something worthy of being durable enough to survive the zombie apocalypse. I'm envisioning the scope to be able to make quick hits out to 600 yards, but can also do more precision work as well.

US Optics TS 2-12 - $500'ish, 18oz, FFP but the reticle looks questionable for usage at low mag, and not illuminated. I love the form factor of this one

Athlon Helos Gen 2 2-12 - $500'ish, FFP, usable reticle at all mag's, on the heavier side of what i'm looking for at 25.4oz

Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12 - $500'ish, usable reticle at all mag's, on the heavier side of what I'm looking for at 26oz

Arken ELP 4-16 - $400'ish, non Xmas tree type reticle, but the weight is decent at under 24oz

Primary Arms GLX 2-10 or 4-16 - $750'ish, with what my inexperienced self sees as the most optimal reticle for low/high mag, weight is decent at 22/23oz, however I've read the FOV isn't too great

Vortex PST Gen2 3-15 - I see this one referenced often, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to the current "standard" for this type of scope when found on deal at $600'ish. My only real gripe with this scope is the weight at 28oz

One offering that intrigues me, but is not FFP, nor does it have an Xmas tree reticle, is the Leupold Mk3 3-9. The weight is ridiculously low and it has Aimpoint type illumination.

I see there are decent offerings from Trijicon, such as the Credo 2-10, however, I do want parallax adjustment. Vortex has their 2.5-10 PST Gen2, but at 26oz, it's getting porky. Not sure what else is out there that is not noticeably heavy and has the feature set I'm looking for. I'm hoping the optics companies start producing something for this market, as from the various threads I've seen on this type of offering, there is definitely interest.

So again, for the scopes listed above, please provide some detailed feedback and comparisons if possible, as well as recommendations preferably under $1k, but up to $1.5k.

Greatly appreciated....

Last edited:
Reactions: Trimax56
Tagged to see what folks suggest, you are in my opinion asking for the near impossible and setting up for disappointment.

Good glass is expensive, I wouldn't want to shoot 300-600 with cheap glass personally, not saying go all out for a S&B but I think your price point is challenging. When you add in that you want light weight good glass at that price......... well I will be curious to see what others say.

Ive been impressed with the glass on the Trijicon Credo line but you have ruled it out already.

Reactions: rauchman

That’s right in the middle of your budget and will fit the bill perfectly. 10x on the top end is more than enough for 600 yard target shooting and a true 1x red dot on the low end will be great for the close 3 gun stuff. I recently put one on my SPR and it’s a phenomenal optic, I have not one single complaint about it. The only better LPVO I’ve used is the S&B Dual CC 1-8 but it’s not 3x the price better.

We are still waiting for a true MPVO scope that does what you describe. At this point the MK5 3.6-18, NX8 2.5-20 and XTR III 3.3-18 are the options in your price point.

I have owned the MK5 and NX8 and they each have their own strengths and compromises. Have heard good things about the XTR III. You should be able to get the MK5 or NX8 used in your budget if you’re patient. The XTR III is closer to $1k.

The current scopes are great but compromise in depth of field, reticle use ability at low or high mag. The PST II is a great scope and the weight has not bothered me a bit

Tagged to see what folks suggest, you are in my opinion asking for the near impossible and setting up for disappointment.

Good glass is expensive, I wouldn't want to shoot 300-600 with cheap glass personally, not saying go all out for a S&B but I think your price point is challenging. When you add in that you want light weight good glass at that price......... well I will be curious to see what others say.

Ive been impressed with the glass on the Trijicon Credo line but you have ruled it out already.

Appreciate the info. Aside from the Credo (which I'm not ruling out, but would prefer parallax adjustment), are there others that are under $1.5k that you'd suggest?

Honestly, I cant think of anything I would recommend at that price point for going out to 600 yards, maybe you are younger with better eyes LOL (I am 55) but I am running trijicons on my 15's partially due to individual price, partially due to not wanting to drop S&B money on multiple uppers and partially due to the fact most of my shooting at my closest range is 100-200 yards. All that in mind the Trijicons are excellent and excel, however depending on the size of the target and how small a grouping you want at 600..........I really think you may need to up your budget especially if it is only on two guns, buy once and cry once.

Curious, of these scopes that are listed, correct to assume the Vortex PST Gen2 3-15 would be the preferred choice?

Curious, of these scopes that are listed, correct to assume the Vortex PST Gen2 3-15 would be the preferred choice?
In my opinion, they are hard to beat for the price ($500 - $700). If you can put the rest into ammo that is a win. You do get better performance with the higher dollar optics if you decide that is how you want to go

I wouldn’t touch that or a single other optic on your list period. All Chinese or Phillipino junk. Look for something made in Japan, US, or Europe.

Interesting, I've seen a lot of references to the PST G2 3-15 being a good entry/ mid level choice for this type of setup.

Suggestions? My absolute max is $1,500 and would prefer to stay under $1k. Not looking for magnification over 16x and I want light, as in under 30oz, preferably under 25oz. This isn't a benchrest setup, but something along the lines of 3gun / DMR.

Last edited:
I'm running a Vortex Viper 1-6 and love the red dot in the center, at 1x it's wicked fast. For me capped turrets were a must
The Vortex warranty is the second reason I chose this optic...
I've read repeatedly how good of a value the PST Gen2 1-6 is, however, for my LPVO, I wanted something lighter. I went with the Delta Stryker 1x6 for LOW glass and 18oz.

For the purpose of what I'm asking about here though, something in that next step up in magnification.... 2/4x - 10/16x, while retaining light weight with an FFP Xmas tree reticle....3Gun'ish/DMR'ish

Interesting, I've seen a lot of references to the PST G2 3-15 being a good entry/ mid level choice for this type of setup.

Suggestions? My absolute max is $1,500 and would prefer to stay under $1k. Not looking for magnification over 16x and I want light, as in under 30oz, preferably under 25oz. This isn't a benchrest setup, but something along the lines of 3gun / DMR.

A lot of people buy stuff and don’t use it or use it seldom but will tell you how great it is. If you run a PST much it’s going to fail, there’s lots of reports of it. I’ve been down that road when they came out and got a couple turds.

The Eotech 1-10 that I linked previously is a perfect optic for your setup and is a hell of a deal at $1250.

Greetings,

Long time lurker now having a desire to get into shooting an AR platform (both AR15 and AR10) past 100 yards. I joined a range in northeast NJ called Cherry Ridge, which goes out to 300 yards, and also have limited access to a friend's range going out to 600 yards. At some point, would like to get into something like 2/3 gun as well.

• What is the platform for the scope? - AR15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .223 / 5.56mm and .308 / 7.62x51mm
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Up to 600 yards range, hoping to get into competition
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight, Nighttime, etc. or any combination thereof
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 300-600 yds, 100-300 yds, under 100 yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, Parallax, MPVO, Light
  • What is the price range you can afford? Preferably below $1k, but up to $1.5k
Currently, the best scope I own is a Delta Stryker 1x6. Zero complaints with the scope, but I'd like something with more magnification, without as much focus on 1x. Something better suited to longer range, FFP, as light as possible but sturdy, low end magnification of 2-4 / high end magnification of 10-16, Xmas tree reticle with the reticle itself being usable on the low and high magnification and preferably illuminated. Seems to be a tall order. I may use an MRDS in conjunction with this scope.

Personally, I'd prefer non China, but if the offering hits what I'm looking for, I have zero problem with getting that optic (another of saying, please keep the politics out of this thread).

I've read a bunch of threads on this site and others and it seems there are a few offerings that come in at my price point. If there are other options, or options that are north of $1k, but less than $1.5k, please suggest them. Below are the options that I've come across that appeal to me. They all are a compromise in some way or another, but they seem to be in the general ballpark of what I'm looking for. Having zero experience with these, any detailed feedback on the pro's/con's of these offerings would be greatly appreciated. I do kinda question how "good" the $500'ish offerings are. Are they worth the money spent, or will I be falling victim to "I should have bought something more expensive but "better"" buy once, cry once? And yes, the keyboard commando in me wants something worthy of being durable enough to survive the zombie apocalypse. I'm envisioning the scope to be able to make quick hits out to 600 yards, but can also do more precision work as well.

US Optics TS 2-12 - $500'ish, 18oz, FFP but the reticle looks questionable for usage at low mag, and not illuminated. I love the form factor of this one

Athlon Helos Gen 2 2-12 - $500'ish, FFP, usable reticle at all mag's, on the heavier side of what i'm looking for at 25.4oz

Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12 - $500'ish, usable reticle at all mag's, on the heavier side of what I'm looking for at 26oz

Arken ELP 4-16 - $400'ish, non Xmas tree type reticle, but the weight is decent at under 24oz

Primary Arms GLX 2-10 or 4-16 - $750'ish, with what my inexperienced self sees as the most optimal reticle for low/high mag, weight is decent at 22/23oz, however I've read the FOV isn't too great

Vortex PST Gen2 3-15 - I see this one referenced often, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to the current "standard" for this type of scope when found on deal at $600'ish. My only real gripe with this scope is the weight at 28oz

One offering that intrigues me, but is not FFP, nor does it have an Xmas tree reticle, is the Leupold Mk3 3-9. The weight is ridiculously low and it has Aimpoint type illumination.

I see there are decent offerings from Trijicon, such as the Credo 2-10, however, I do want parallax adjustment. Vortex has their 2.5-10 PST Gen2, but at 26oz, it's getting porky. Not sure what else is out there that is not noticeably heavy and has the feature set I'm looking for. I'm hoping the optics companies start producing something for this market, as from the various threads I've seen on this type of offering, there is definitely interest.

So again, for the scopes listed above, please provide some detailed feedback and comparisons if possible, as well as recommendations preferably under $1k, but up to $1.5k.

Greatly appreciated....
This is almost custom made for your needs:

I own a few Vortex 3-15 FFP scopes and they hit way above their price point. Their FOV numbers are equal to or better than a TT 3-15. It’s optically better than their PST II 5-25, but that scope is no slouch other.

ILya / @koshkin speaks highly of the 3-15 too. And since there are so many Vortex products bought than other brands one hears more complaints. Vortex has a similar failure rate than other manufacturers, so says ILya.

I don’t like non-locking turrets. That’s my one complaint.

Last edited:
If the Credo had adjustable parallax it would be perfect.

For most stuff a 100 yard fixed parallax is just fine. For a DMR rifle it’s absolutely fine. I’d even argue a fixed parallax is an asset on a DMR rifle because you can’t accidentally bump it way down to minimum and have a blurred sight picture when you bring the rifle up for a quick shot.

Know Cherry Ridge well. Shot the Hathcock match there a bunch of times.

You should take a look at the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 with SCR2 reticle. Liberty Optics has some great prices on the newest illuminated version. Put it in the cart for the best price.

Meopta Optika6 3-18x50. I have a Cronus BTR Gen2 which is a $2K scope and the Meopta's glass is as good, if not better, than the Cronus which uses Japanese glass. I picked mine up for around $700 over a year ago and they offer a number of reticles. I have the MRAD Mil/Mil reticle and I purchased it here where it's now $100 more: https://www.pyramydair.com/product/...le-scope-illuminated-mrad-mil-mil-30mm?a=9368

Their current reticle options. They also have a 56mm objective option. https://meopta.store/products/meopro-optika6-3-18x50-rd-ffp

If you run a PST much it’s going to fail, there’s lots of reports of it.
Thats not even a little bit true.
I have a 3-15 PST that I have used solidly for almost 4 years now (got it when they put the 7c in the PST line).
I've dragged it around plenty of events both on 22lr and centrefire and it's performed great, the turrets have had a lot of use as the scope has easily 5k+ of 22lr underneath it (probably considerably more than that but swap scopes between rifles frequently).

There have been a few cases of them failing specatularly but there are a heck of a lot of them out there so it'd not indicative of the failure rate at all.
I'm not going to claim they are bomb proof but they certainly don't all break at the first match they go to.

The combination of glass, FOV, turrets and reticle have been one of the best options for the money for a long time.
My biggest gripe with it is the exposed windage turret, for the OPs use I think I'd buy the XTR3i but it's near twice the price, just as heavy but has an even thinner reticle than the EBR-7c.

Look at the new T6Xi 3-18.
It hits [and exceeds] all of your needs accept weight and price.
There's a demo of sorts in the marketplace for $1900 right now.

Maybe just one more thread on this will wake up the real players on this feature set. I am tired of shouting it from the rooftops and getting looked at funny during product discussion meetings.
Looking at you ZCO!

My biggest gripe with it is the exposed windage turret, for the OPs use I think I'd buy the XTR3i but it's near twice the price, just as heavy but has an even thinner reticle than the EBR-7c.

Yes you might find a deal on the PST with older reticles but the price is $999 at EuroOptic for the 7C version. The 3.3-18 XTR III is $1199. Only $200 difference. At Liberty Optics both are a little cheaper still but not twice the price.

Also I had read the new illuminated reticle in the XTR is thicker than the old non illuminated which was around .02 mils from their site. Can’t really find the new reticle diagram but looking. The 7C is .03 mils.

The 3.3-18×50 XTRIII is money at this price point. Very good glass, crazy good eyebox and FOV. Bullet proof tracking and durability. 13", 29ozs, it checks every box you have. Under $1200 illuminated, under $1000 non-illuminated.

Reactions: rauchman and Rob01
Yes you might find a deal on the PST with older reticles but the price is $999 at EuroOptic for the 7C version. The 3.3-18 XTR III is $1199. Only $200 difference. At Liberty Optics both are a little cheaper still but not twice the price.

Also I had read the new illuminated reticle in the XTR is thicker than the old non illuminated which was around .02 mils from their site. Can’t really find the new reticle diagram but looking. The 7C is .03 mils.
I believe the new SCR2 is still thinner than the 7c, they thickened it a little but its still very thin.

I liked the 2c in the 3-15 the .052 reticle was well suited to the mag range.

I believe the new SCR2 is still thinner than the 7c, they thickened it a little but its still very thin.

I liked the 2c in the 3-15 the .052 reticle was well suited to the mag range.
I think the illuminated is .035 now but need to make sure. Should be about the same as the 7C.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Given the hatred for poors around here, this may not be a popular answer, but I think the PA GlX 2.5-10 is the best option in this space right now.

It is much lighter than nearly all other scopes suggested, has adj parallax, great reticle at 2.5x for getting shots on target quick. Add on offset dot and you have a great all round setup for an AR15.

I dont like the chevron for precision work and lack of wind holds beside the chevron, but if you hold instead of dialing you have the nice grid tree which resolves those issues.

I also have the Athlon 2-12. I like the reticle better than the PA for longer range work but the build quality is lower. For the price I think its a good deal, and would hold you over until someone finally comes out with a high quality lightweight MPVO.

I think the illuminated is .035 now but need to make sure. Should be about the same as the 7C.
I've tried to find out what the thickness is but the people I spoke to at Burris said it was unchanged (which i know is wrong).
I was hoping with more of the illuminated being in the wild someone would mentioned it but haven't seen a spec other than being told i
"It's thicker".

Reactions: Rob01
Given the hatred for poors around here, this may not be a popular answer, but I think the PA GlX 2.5-10 is the best option in this space right now.

It is much lighter than nearly all other scopes suggested, has adj parallax, great reticle at 2.5x for getting shots on target quick. Add on offset dot and you have a great all round setup for an AR15.

I dont like the chevron for precision work and lack of wind holds beside the chevron, but if you hold instead of dialing you have the nice grid tree which resolves those issues.

I also have the Athlon 2-12. I like the reticle better than the PA for longer range work but the build quality is lower. For the price I think its a good deal, and would hold you over until someone finally comes out with a high quality lightweight MPVO.

Thanks for that info. Do you find the smaller FOV on the GLX a hinderance? I like the Athlon too, but the weight is starting to creep into PST Gen2 3-15 territory.

I've tried to find out what the thickness is but the people I spoke to at Burris said it was unchanged (which i know is wrong).
I was hoping with more of the illuminated being in the wild someone would mentioned it but haven't seen a spec other than being told i
"It's thicker".

Yeah it’s definitely something Burris should add to their site as all they have is the old specs.

You might take a look at this scope:

I'll bet Scott at Liberty Optics could probably swing you a deal to put it within your budget range.

For an AR platform it's a very versatile scope.

As stated by @Rob01, .035 is the accurate line thickness of the illuminated SCR2. I've posted side by side photos of this reticle in its illuminated and non-illuminated versions. The illuminated SCR2 is clearly thicker.

I have the illuminated version on my hunting rifle and have been tromping over hill and dale with it since early October. Even dropped it on some rocks just for good measure. Everyone's eyes are different, and I'm no spring chicken at 56 years young, but my default magnification is 6x, and I have zero issues seeing the reticle on that setting.

I've beat the heck out of this scope this year. It's been a rough season so far, and its not over.
Heading out again for four more days. Been snowed on a LOT, which equals how many times my ass has hit the ground. Busted the illumination cap, the battery is somewhere in hyperspace. She's still holding zero and working as intended..🙃

Last edited:
Reactions: rauchman and Rob01
Thanks for that info. Do you find the smaller FOV on the GLX a hinderance? I like the Athlon too, but the weight is starting to creep into PST Gen2 3-15 territory.
I think you need to decide what is more important to you, speed at close range and low magnification use or precision at longer distances.

If you'll be spending most of your time past 300yards shooting small targets it'll be worth the weight penalty going for the PST G2 or the XTR3.
If you anticipate most of your shooting being close range on lower magnification then take a closer look at the PA or Helos G2.

I've not used the PA but based of the FOV specs and the (kinda shit) reticle I'm not sure I'll be rushing out to buy one. The Helos G2 2-12 isn't a bad scope but the glass in the one I had was a very long way off the PST G2, the looking turrets were nice and the reticle was a bit more usable on low magnification but ultimately the PST is considerably better all round.

In the MVPO market there aren't really any stand out options as being the go to scope, I'd be deciding on magnification range to help make my decision.

As far as narrow FOV being a hindrance, that's personal opinion. Some people don't seem bothered at all by it so don't even check FOV specs, other people (like me) seem "sensitive" to it and can't help but notice it every time they look through the scope.

No I do not. If im shooting offhand the scope is likely at 2.5x and I shoot both eyes open so dont notice it. If the scope is zoomed in I can first put my red dot on the target as I settle into the scope. However, YMMV, depends on how your RDS is set up and the type of shooting you are doing.

XTR II at Natchez. They have 2-10 and 3-15 for a MPVO. They might have a deal for Black Friday. I’d definitely take a look at the XTRIII also.

You can get a new nx8 2.5-20 for $1600, used should be a bit cheaper if you’re willing to go that route.

This checks all of the boxes, but is on the higher side of your budget. It’s worth it though, besides a little flat image…it’s an excellent scope. I have one a 16” AR, used for target out to 600 yards, coyote hunting, etc.

US Optics TS20X. 34mm tube. pick your reticle. 2.5-20x. Not great at anything but decent all around.
Read somewhere only model in TS line that has Japanese Glass.
Hard to beat street price of around $700.

US Optics TS20X. 34mm tube. pick your reticle. 2.5-20x. Not great at anything but decent all around.
Read somewhere only model in TS line that has Japanese Glass.
Hard to beat street price of around $700.
Where have you seen this for $700?

If the Credo had adjustable parallax it would be perfect.

You shouldn't let that hold you back if you think everything else about it is perfect. A 36mm objective is not going to be that bad with parallax error to begin with, if it had a 50mm or larger obj I'd say that a parallax adjustment should have been included.