• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPVO for ultralight rifle build.

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Maybe you guys with a wider scope of expierence can help me out.

Built a light weight hunting rifle for my 11yr old. An 18in 6.5CM on a BAT BumbleBee, Manners EH4, and Proof CF barrel. I want to keep the scoped rifle as light as possible.

I’m looking for a scope in the 2-10 or 3-9x range, but that also has a mil based reticle. Or Atleast turrets that track solid. He’s at the point where I want to teach him how to dial his turrets and measure his corrections through the scope.

I’m having trouble finding a decent optic that fits the bill.

Any recommendations? Budget is 2k or less

From my humble experience, it is quite hard to fully use a mil-reticle to its fullest when its only in a low magnification optic.
    At least I find it very hard to tell where you hit with the low magnification, and thus its hard to dial corrections.

On my previous target rifles I have had a 5-25x56 scope and I usually find myself around 15-18x magnification on the range. This way I can call hits and correct with the turrets or reticle. Below that it is just too hard.
    But I would not want to drag around a big 5-25x56 scope for longer periods of time, and I dont consider it to be a viable hunting scope.

This has led me to look at the Leupold Mark 5 hd 3,6-18x44. Which seems to be pretty much the perfect compromise. Its small and light enough to go on a hunting style rigg, and its more than capable of target work, with either turrets or reticle.

Dont know about the price though. But it might just fit the bill for you too?

Naturally you can hit stuff just fine with lower magnification. I shoot around 2 MOA at 300 meters with my SVD with its fixed 4x scope just fine. But I cant call corrections, its either a hit or a miss.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jigstick
    You should have a ton of options.

If when hunting you never plan on dialing and just using the mil reticle for holds 3-9 should do fine at hunting ranges.

I'm not a hunter but one (two) of my favorite guns are M40 clone R700s with cheap Leupold 3-9X mil reticle scopes.

At the zero range both are sub MOA and at distances I can shoot decent groups holding mils - say 2MOA or so especially if I use an aiming spot set at the mil hold as a crutch.

Hunting is helped by MOA ability but reality isn't the killing area in the chest about 8 MOA?

If you are hunting at more than standard Northeast ranges.......disregard.

Doesnt SWFA excel at this spec with accurate tracking and value price range.

SWFA 3-9x42 is a popular choice for your intended use if you want FFP.
    Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 is another options.

If you want SFP then its hard to beat the Leupold VX5/6 2-10/12, the ZL2 turrets generally track ok, doesn't have a mil based reticle though.
    NF NXS 2.5-10X42 is another popular option.

There are a few options in this magnification and price range.
    You probably need to try decide on a maximum weight you can tolerate.
    For the most part the nicer scopes start getting a bit heavy (24oz+) for a lightweight rifle.

Built a light weight hunting rifle for my 11yr old. An 18in 6.5CM on a BAT BumbleBee, Manners EH4, and Proof CF barrel. I want to keep the scoped rifle as light as possible.

I’m looking for a scope in the 2-10 or 3-9x range, but that also has a mil based reticle. Or Atleast turrets that track solid. He’s at the point where I want to teach him how to dial his turrets and measure his corrections through the scope.

NF 2.5-10x42

Thanks guys. Keep it coming. Despite shortening up the stock the length of pull still plays games with my son when it comes to eye relief and getting comfortable behind the gun. It’s just tough man. I’m trying to teach good form. Good technique. He’s an excellent shot. And he wants to keep progressing.

We hunt primarily in PA. Deer shots are anywhere from 50-500yds depending on what food plots were hunting. So there is some opportunity for him to stretch his shots out a bit. And I feel he’s ready for this. Just have to get this rifle dialed in for him so he has the best opportunity for success.

To get what you're looking for, the scope is most likely not going to be on the diet side of things, and will probably be at least 27oz minimum for a FFP scope with exposed turrets and MIL/MIL config. That said, here's a few of the lighter options I've found that would all be great scopes for your need, inside of your price range.

This is a bit hefty on the scope side, but it will balance well on that rifle, and I doubt he'll notice the few extra ounces... But it has what you're looking for, and the reticle would be excellent for hunting and targets, and it has a little extra magnification on the top-end, so that will help with target shooting, as well.

It's on sale right now for only $899. I have one in the 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 version, and it's a solid optic for the price.

Here's a couple other solid options...

There's a few there that might work. Less than 2k. Or the March...

You’re looking for the scope a ton of us are. Lightweight, usable for hunting at lower magnification, and FFP is implied since you want to correct based on the reticle.

See if you can find a used Bushnell LRTSi 3-12?

Barring that, I do like the Vortex LHT 4.5-22.

You’re looking for the scope a ton of us are. Lightweight, usable for hunting at lower magnification, and FFP is implied since you want to correct based on the reticle.

See if you can find a used Bushnell LRTSi 3-12?

Barring that, I do like the Vortex LHT 4.5-22.

FFP isn’t even a “requirement” for me with the ranges of intended use. FOV, eye relief, and tracking are more important to me. Finding a scope with those good attributes for distances under 500yd is what I’m after. Even a SFP scope at 10x isn’t unreasonable. So if it’s a SFP scope I’d just have him set it at max power so he can read the reticle at say 300yds to start learning how to measure. Hope that makes sense.

NF NX8 2.5-20 or Mark V

You can easily get away with a SWFA and save yourself a chunk of money (but last time I looked they were all on back order)

FFP isn’t even a “requirement” for me with the ranges of intended use. FOV, eye relief, and tracking are more important to me. Finding a scope with those good attributes for distances under 500yd is what I’m after. Even a SFP scope at 10x isn’t unreasonable. So if it’s a SFP scope I’d just have him set it at max power so he can read the reticle at say 300yds to start learning how to measure. Hope that makes sense.
    Kids outgrow stuff, I honestly wouldn't bother spending $2k on a "forever optic" for an 11 year old. That really sounds like you are buying something for yourself (?).

A $5-700 optic is plenty inside 500yd if you are taking limited reps (ie, hunting w/tags in PA). If the glass isn't good enough, buy a swaro SLC (bino) for observation. Teach your kid not to drop the rifle. Zero it frequently. Etc.

When he turns 18 or 21 buy him a Nightforce. At that stage his body growth/geometry will be sorted out. And he'll be more mature to pick his own stuff.

And not to mention, maybe by then also they will finally have launced the ZCO 2-16x :love:

If you want a scope with a long eye relief to help him out, the Burris XTR-II 5-25x50 has the longest eye relief that I've ever used. It's close to 4.5"... Great scope, and not super heavy, but the magnification might be a bit more than what you're wanting, but it's on sale for only $599 right now at EuroOptic ($1,499 MSRP, $1,000 retail). They're good scopes, I have 3 of them, and plan to get a few more to replace lower-priced scopes on my guns, while they're on sale.

I’m certainly not “buying for myself”. I threw my budget out there because that’s what I’m willing to spend. If it costs $400 so be it. But my research skills haven’t been productive. I appreciate all the recommendations so far. There’s optics being mentioned that I haven’t considered / came across on my own.

A bit out of the box...but fixed power generally weigh less than zoom. SWFA 6x has a reputation for sturdiness and afordability and a decent reticle.
    FWIW I quickly realized that the 6mm deer rifle i built for my kid was only going to be used for 1 or two years before being outgrown/retired...

The Trijicon Credo has be intrigued. It’s seems pretty dam close to what I’m after. And as he outgrows the optic and needs more magnification I could swap the Credo onto one of my AR uppers. The Leupy MK5 I really like, but the $500 assfuck for illumination is a hard pill to swallow.

Reactions: beetroot
    The Trijicon Credo has be intrigued. It’s seems pretty dam close to what I’m after. And as he outgrows the optic and needs more magnification I could swap the Credo onto one of my AR uppers. The Leupy MK5 I really like, but the $500 assfuck for illumination is a hard pill to swallow.
    The only Credo I looked though, belonged to a buddy of mine, and it was very unimpressive glass-wise. It was the Credo 1-10 LPVO.

A bit out of the box...but fixed power generally weigh less than zoom. SWFA 6x has a reputation for sturdiness and afordability and a decent reticle.
    FWIW I quickly realized that the 6mm deer rifle i built for my kid was only going to be used for 1 or two years before being outgrown/retired...
    This isn't always the case. A fixed power and a variable optics' only differences is having a mag ring around the same erector, in likely a very similar eyepiece ocular housing. The difference (if there is any) will likely be within 1-2 oz tops.

Throwing the USO FDN FX10 in the mix, with a GAP reticle. USO FDNs have been solid for me for the last two years in PRS. Sight picture is great too.
    I didn't include the variable FDN 10x because it was too high above the price range in the OP, but it looks like Eurooptic has both the FX10 and 10X available in the stated price range.

If its for a fast shot when you need to see the reticle well in a FFP scope then you'd be pleasantly surprised with Athlon's Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42 in mil.

I have two of them. One is on my 6mmFatRat AR that I use on steel out to 1122Y and one is on a $3000 semi auto pcp air rifle.

It's a very unique scope and reticle loaded with most of the modern features and with exceptionally distinct feeling locking turrets.

It's hard to describe the feeling but I find it a fun scope.

It's on the bottom airgun. The top airgun has Athlon Midas TAC 5-25x56 on it.

Attachments

• 20210322_144143.jpg
      20210322_144143.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 52
    • 20221204_134238.jpg
      20221204_134238.jpg
      659.9 KB · Views: 46