• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mr bullet feeder for pistol

j-moose32

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
I know it’s mostly rifle reloading here but I see some pistol stuff too so I figured I’d ask. I just setup a bullet feeder on my dillon press and did 500 rounds this morning. I got 7 upside down bullets out of the 500. I’m not entirely unhappy with this, but wanted to see how it works for others and if I need to or can tweak it more to get even less upside down bullets. Thanks guys

It takes bit to learn the adjustments. Try getting a magnetic angle finder and adjust the "tilt" in the mount. The profile of the bullet matters too. FMJ are more consistent than flat point for me. 7 in 500 isn't bad in my experience.

Yeah 7 out of 500 isnt bad, but as stated you'll have to play with the angle and tweak it a bit. Jmackey is right on bullet profile does make a difference, fmj by far are least finicky, when I switched up to jhp it was a bit more finicky but after a bit of tweaking it runs fine now with an occasional upside down one here and there.

I have another 1050 set up for .223 and the 62gr bthp are also giving me some fits here and there out of the bullet feeder...but I can deal with it as is considering how quick I can crank these rounds out.

Yea I adjusted it with an angle finder to 45* when I put it together. I found a video just now where he says to fill every hole on the plate with an upside down bullet and run it. If it flips them all, then tour properly adjusted. I’ll try that before work if I have time.

I’m using .40 164 grain CMJ. And yea I can deal with 7/500. A little annoying when it happens cuz the bullet gets seated upside down and a second one falls out, but I can deal with it too. Just wanted to see if my numbers are way off from what they should be compared to others

You should be able to tune it to zero. Make sure you watch where the bullet is either not flipping or getting flipped back. Some bullet profiles are more finnicky of the tune and some are impossible to mess up. 147 round nose in 9 were easy for me. If I tuned the feeder to 115's it would run 147s and 135's but I couldn't get 90's to reliably feed because of the short bullet.

Yep little bit of work up front but once you get it tweaked it's 100%

ok cool. I’ll adjust the nose guide ramp thing and watch where it flips of gets flipped back. 7/500 upside down isn’t bad but 0/500 is even better. Glad to see you guys got it working that well and now I’ll tweak to get it there 👍🏼

You should be able to tune it to zero. Make sure you watch where the bullet is either not flipping or getting flipped back. Some bullet profiles are more finnicky of the tune and some are impossible to mess up. 147 round nose in 9 were easy for me. If I tuned the feeder to 115's it would run 147s and 135's but I couldn't get 90's to reliably feed because of the short bullet.

So I tinkered with it a little. I filled up every hole in the plate with an upside down bullet and ran it. It flipped every one. I did it 3x so 30 upside down bullets in a row without issue varying the speed. I wonder if movement from the case feeder and actual press messes with it maybe?

So I tinkered with it a little. I filled up every hole in the plate with an upside down bullet and ran it. It flipped every one. I did it 3x so 30 upside down bullets in a row without issue varying the speed. I wonder if movement from the case feeder and actual press messes with it maybe?
Have two of them on XL650's, love 'em. You shouldn't expect perfection, you're going to get a few "flippers" every once in a while. Speed setting will (probably) also affect how many flippers you get. It's a pretty damned good system, but getting to perfection (no flippers) may not be practical or achievable. Mine 650's are mounted to a very stout bench and that rigidity probably does help. Just keep an eye on the drop station for flippers and you'll be fine.

Thanks @Threadcutter308 , I love it already as well. I can deal with the flippers, just wanted to see if I needed to adjust it more. Hopefully I can catch em in the feed tube and I’ll just put a cup under neath the die and press up with my hand to drop all the bullets into a cup lol

Thanks @Threadcutter308 , I love it already as well. I can deal with the flippers, just wanted to see if I needed to adjust it more. Hopefully I can catch em in the feed tube and I’ll just put a cup under neath the die and press up with my hand to drop all the bullets into a cup lol
Hmmm..............funny you should mention that........ :unsure: :)

(I mighta' done that once or twice. Just give the tube a tap, doesn't take much, you'll get multiple drops if you push it up for too long. Oh, and make dagged gum sure you have a cup underneath the drop tube when you do it. Otherwise, the trolls under your bench will get fed with some 9mm pills.....)

Actually, now that I think about it, it's easiest if you just keep an eye out for a flipper on the primed/charged (not seated) case in the shell holder and just flip the bullet over by hand.