• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRAD or Custom Rifle

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I tried this post on the Barrett thread, however, it was very quiet. I am debating whether to spend my hard earned money on an MRAD or a custom rifle. I already have an AI AXSA in 308. My next rifle is going to be a 6.5 CM. I know that I could easily change the barrel on the AI, however, I came into a little fun money and want to spend it . What better way than to support the firearm industry. (All of us here have a gun problem) As such, the question becomes which one. I do really like military pedigree rifles, and thus, why I am considering the MRAD. My custom specs would be foundation, impact, bartlein from somebody like Stuteville, SAC, or one the many other fine builders. Obviously, the Barrett is more cashola, however, gives me the option down the road of a magnum caliber. With the custom I am stuck at 6.5CM. As such, anybody have both and can you give me your thoughts. Even if you want to call me an a-hole that is acceptable too :ROFLMAO: Thanks

Nice problem to have.

I have a friend with that impact set up and its so nice.

I got to shoot the MRAD in 300 Norma and 6.5 creed last year at the Precision Rifle Expo and really loved those as well. I don't know who set those two MRAD's up but they just fit me so well and shooting them was really fun.

Can't go wrong with either one. It would come down to what you want to do with it to make the decision I think.

Reactions: pnorris
Well, I went with the MRAD, got a killer deal on one and man am I impressed. I will actually be taking advantage of the multi barrel setup on this one. The rifel is just very well thought out. There's a reason the army, marines and navy all ditched everything to go to this. M24, M40, M2013 even the M107 --all replaced with this one rifle. Chassis is very light too, all the weigh is in the barrel. CF 6.5 would probably only weigh like 12lbs. And of course there's .338LM or Norma. It's a .5MOA rifle at 1500m they advertise in .338LM.

Barrel swaps are 2 screws and a bolt head swap. Not even the whole bolt assy., just the bolt head the size of the end of your finger. So barrels/bolts are way easy to lug around and change in the field even. If they're CF barrels, well, even easier. And Barrett makes barrel extension and bolt head kits so you can have your own barrel spun up, not just stuck with theirs.

Mine has the single stage trigger but I guess I'm getting used to those, the DTA HTI came with one and I setup a Kidd .22 with one --if they're done right they're just as good as 2 stage really. Bolt action feels like it's spring loaded, it's fast. Uses AR grips so pick one.

If you get the MRAD, just make damn sure you get one with the small bolt assy. or that'll be another $400-$500. You'll need that for barrel swaps. Mine has the Gen1 chassis but came with the small dia. bolt assy. so it may not be so obvious. But due to the cost it's worth making sure it has that to begin with. If you want Mlok cuts on a gen1, I understand LRI does it. Don't know how much, I sent 'em an email though, it's mostly cosmetic but I wouldn't mind having it brown too so if both operations aren't too bad combined I may do it.

I think I'd have liked a nicer bolt knob? It's a textured plastic ball. It works. Maybe there are/will be options but it's not so important really, and if that's my biggest bitch then I'm grateful. The stock attaches to it so the only option would be material/texture anyway.

I say get the MRAD. It's sorta the one and done bolt gun if you want it to be. Plus it was the Remington killer, the rifle that put a halt to both the venerable M40 series and M24's...