• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRAD vs AI ?

Cowboyjoe67

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2011
Illinois
I am looking at buying a new Accuracy International 338 but the Barrett MRAD 338 has caught my attention. Does anyone have any feedback on the Accuracy of the MRAD?
I don't think the MRAD could hold groups like th AI but I don't know that for sure. Does anybody know.
The gun would be for targets from 1000 yards too 1500 yards, after that I usually just go to the 50bmg.
Thoughts?????

Re: MRAD vs AI ?

I'd go w/ the time proven design! Personally I don't think they are even in the same class.

I own an AI(not 338 however)and love it. I have never heard anything negative nor experienced anything negative about or with AI. But I haven't heard anything at all from people with MRAD's either. I don't believe either would be a bad choice, however look at the cost and features and decide what suits you best. However if I were you I would go with the AI. Built like a tank and laser-beam accurate and purpose built to stand up to more than a human being can withstand.

I own a MRAD and have about 40 rounds down the tube. It has proven very accurate thus far. In October I will be at Gunsite for the XLR class -- I think that will prove it out.

-K

That's kind of what I keep thinking. I just don't know how accurate the MRAD will be after 1500 rounds down the tube. I know the AI will still drive nails after that. The MRAD has the lightest recoil of all the 338's but that's not as important to me as the accuracy. The other positive about the MRAD is that it is easily converted to 300 win mag and 308 win. I already have both of those cals though so that is not a huge draw for me.

one thing to note ... the barrel changes are a snap .. so lets say after 1500 rounds you need a new barrel you don't have to ship it back .. just get a new barrel and two torx and its done.

One more thing... the MRAD is build on the 98B frame. Also the MRAD is shipping with a Full Bull Barrel not the fluted one that you see all over. It was a in production change.

-K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one thing to note ... the barrel changes are a snap .. so lets say after 1500 rounds you need a new barrel you don't have to ship it back .. just get a new barrel and two torx and its done.

One more thing... the MRAD is build on the 98B frame. Also the MRAD is shipping with a Full Bull Barrel not the fluted one that you see all over. It was a in production change.

-K </div></div>

Has anyone actually gotten a new barrel for the mrad yet?

Good point Poison....No ... but they have the best of intentions...

LOL

but that does remind me I will call in the AM to find out.

I also sent a email to Lin to see if he know.

-K

<span style="font-weight: bold">Unfortunately I can't speak from experience so take from this what you will...</span>

After weeks of researching and scouring the internet / mags it seemed to me that the MRAD was a solid option, not just because it's something different... The M98B has got good reviews and the MRAD has been built loosely around that concept with major upgrades.

Some of the benefits are the light weight (cheaper) polymer box magazines, interchangable pistol grip (AR type), smooth sleek design contours and high modularity I think it'd be a nice change of pace from the AI's that everyone has.

Captive bolt design is also nice, short throw action. Comes with the folding stock with quick adjust controls.

What's not to like?

I spent months on Australian Customs / Federal Police Balistics Division tryin to sway them into letting me import one to no avail.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

5792_snipers-inc-25_04700300.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

url]

url]

url]

url]

You can watch the Barrett Codo for more MRAD info also mate.

http://www.airsoft2day.com/news/263-barrett-documentary-on-national-geographic-television.html

Well, it gave me the answer I was looking for.
Thank you to everyone who answered with positive input!