• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRP and Spikes conversion

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    I scored a killer deal on a LMT MRP/CQB 16" in 5.56 (complete rifle, w/all assecories and a case $1100). While I'm waiting on it I'm oogling a 6.8spc barrel and now see that Spikes makes a .22 LR MRP barrel and bolt.
    Anyone have any experience with the Spikes setup?

Thanks In Advance,
    Halfnutz

Re: MRP and Spikes conversion

I have a 11.5" LMT 6.8 barrel and BCG that I am going to sell pretty soon...so stay tuned!
    grin.gif

I also have Spike's 10.5" .22 caliber barrel and BCG....it is too cool and worth ponying up the $ for.

my extractor doesn't grab, so I have another on order. Hopefully it will work. After a few hundred rounds of "why does everyone complain about the reliability?" mine entered the non-working zone.

Watch the gunk like a hawk. With the wrong ammo(aka the right ammo for reliability) you can get an out of battery discharge pretty easily because the round can't fit in the chamber without a second bolt charge due to buildup after 200rnds (being generous with my particular event). I did not notice anything until the out of battery because I do not look at each and every round feed on the bolt before pulling the trigger on an AR.

You also need a sissy charging handle latch spring to ensure the first round of each mag chambers and doesn't OOBD.

DK-Love to have both, only no go in the suburb of Chicago called Illinois. If it wasn't for my kids being here I'd be gone.
    Evidently the Spikes is running well for you, that's good to hear.

I have the 22 kit in a standard AR 22 barrel, no problems to report. I bought it with a chamber adapter, and needed a dedicated adapter, so i went to their shop in Apopka, Fl they were very welcoming and had the part i needed even though i didn't make an appointment.

Mine has run well for me, but I haven't put copious amounts of ammo through it to really give a detailed AAR of performance/reliability...but thus far I've been happy with the plinking. Hopefully I'm not an anomaly and others are having luck with theirs. Like BugSniper said though, watch for buildup...I had a CMMG conversion kit and after a day of shooting it...I had a little mess of waxy shit that solidified on some areas.