• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mrs FPGT72 we ruined your tire......thoughts from the collective.

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
That was the phone call from the wife got on Friday. Last week we go out to leave for work and her tire is flat as can be. I air it up and tell her if she feels it funny to call me. She has raced before and knows how a car feels. She has also spent time under a car, and had carbs apart on kitchen tables.....she is not an idiot when it comes to vehicles. She gets to work fine and is in meetings all day with folk from over seas. During lunch she runs out and flat. This time she can see a nail on top, so at least we know now. One of the other girls there has a 12v pump and they air up her tire, she will follow my wife to the tire shop and give her a lift back. She has a pump of her own, but now wants one of these, its faster. Its ok, I am a tool junkie as well.

Phone rings an hour later and she thinks her car is done and ready to pick up. Nope.

Tire dude: ahh, Mrs FP, we tore up your tire trying to get it off the rim, all our fault.
wife: well the tires are old, I was just trying to hold out till july.
Tire dude: We will give you a new tire.
wife: Ok I want xyz, model abc.
Tire dude: well I don't have those in stock, I can get them monday (friday remember)
Wife: well give me one to drive on till monday.
Tire dude: well we can't, you car is AWD and it will screw stuff up.
Wife: let me call my husband
Tire dude: What if we give you 4 new tires
Wife: that does not sound right me knowing I needed them anyway, let me call my husband.

She rings me and tells me the entire deal, yea cars don't like having one different tire, even if it was the same make it could be bad, one being new and the others being REALLY old. She tells me he has this other tire and asks if they are ok. Yea they are fine name brand and a good tire. So should she do it, yea just replace all now, pay for three, and get him to toss in a free alignment.

She calls back lays it out for him. I am told he is in shock she is not ranting and raving. Says she will do it, pay for three if he can toss in an alignment. He says sure, and he will give her the other three tires at cost. Her last question was how soon. He knew she was having a real busy day, he could have the tires done in an hour, but he would need another hour for the alignment, he can do that next week, but don't wait too long. She got the car back in an hour and taking it back on Tuesday.

Guy was in shock she was so mellow about it all, she told them she knows about changing tires both her and I drove race cars, and built one from scratch, yup that little 100lb 5' nothing female. He thanked her up and down and it is a done deal.

So thoughts from the collective. I see it a little like the shopping cart rule, it was just the right thing to do.

Not that I really care, but just interested in what the collective thinks.

Sounds like everyone is a winner in that situation.

But yeah, we’re gonna need pictures of her or it didn’t happen.

Reactions: Yasherka and 101st
I’m just shocked you found a shop that didn’t cross thread and overtorque all the wheels back on. Every time I take our car in for an oil change or tire work I’m almost to the point of expecting them to fuck something up.

I would leave them a glowing review in as many places as I could to help repay their integrity. Maybe not put in how they hooked you up (then all the local freeloaders will start bugging them) but just that they are fair, honest, and do great work.

Glad y’all got taken care of.

Well, technically the vehicle does have differentials to accomodate for things like small differences in tires and different wheel speeds. I get that from tire shops all the time, even after we have put brand new tires on a couple of months earlier.

I think most shops are just total shit, and most of the guys in them don't know what they are doing or are going to try to extract every single dollar out of you they can. I know, I literally deal with probably over 100 shops a day for various companies. It's really rare to find a shop that will not try to rip you off any chance they get.

That was the phone call from the wife got on Friday. Last week we go out to leave for work and her tire is flat as can be. I air it up and tell her if she feels it funny to call me. She has raced before and knows how a car feels. She has also spent time under a car, and had carbs apart on kitchen tables.....she is not an idiot when it comes to vehicles. She gets to work fine and is in meetings all day with folk from over seas. During lunch she runs out and flat. This time she can see a nail on top, so at least we know now. One of the other girls there has a 12v pump and they air up her tire, she will follow my wife to the tire shop and give her a lift back. She has a pump of her own, but now wants one of these, its faster. Its ok, I am a tool junkie as well.

Phone rings an hour later and she thinks her car is done and ready to pick up. Nope.

Tire dude: ahh, Mrs FP, we tore up your tire trying to get it off the rim, all our fault.
wife: well the tires are old, I was just trying to hold out till july.
Tire dude: We will give you a new tire.
wife: Ok I want xyz, model abc.
Tire dude: well I don't have those in stock, I can get them monday (friday remember)
Wife: well give me one to drive on till monday.
Tire dude: well we can't, you car is AWD and it will screw stuff up.
Wife: let me call my husband
Tire dude: What if we give you 4 new tires
Wife: that does not sound right me knowing I needed them anyway, let me call my husband.

She rings me and tells me the entire deal, yea cars don't like having one different tire, even if it was the same make it could be bad, one being new and the others being REALLY old. She tells me he has this other tire and asks if they are ok. Yea they are fine name brand and a good tire. So should she do it, yea just replace all now, pay for three, and get him to toss in a free alignment.

She calls back lays it out for him. I am told he is in shock she is not ranting and raving. Says she will do it, pay for three if he can toss in an alignment. He says sure, and he will give her the other three tires at cost. Her last question was how soon. He knew she was having a real busy day, he could have the tires done in an hour, but he would need another hour for the alignment, he can do that next week, but don't wait too long. She got the car back in an hour and taking it back on Tuesday.

Guy was in shock she was so mellow about it all, she told them she knows about changing tires both her and I drove race cars, and built one from scratch, yup that little 100lb 5' nothing female. He thanked her up and down and it is a done deal.

So thoughts from the collective. I see it a little like the shopping cart rule, it was just the right thing to do.

Not that I really care, but just interested in what the collective thinks.

I think.
Well I think this is the strangest way ever to brag about you and your wife being gear heads....cause...I mean you both know your way around and under a racecar.

Congrats to both of you for having something good come out of a bad situation. Doesn't happen all that often, but apparently it does happen.

I think most shops are just total shit, and most of the guys in them don't know what they are doing or are going to try to extract every single dollar out of you they can. I know, I literally deal with probably over 100 shops a day for various companies. It's really rare to find a shop that will not try to rip you off any chance they get.
Dont ask me about Merchant's Tire and Auto in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Only once? Ive jammed hundreds of plugs in tubeless moto tires. Only threw one out that I can recall. I dont even use the rubber cement.
No rubber cement? Damn you're radical.
I think I had three or four in that tire when it was finally replaced.
A few months ago I had new whitewalls put on my old Heritage Softail. I watched the guy pinch the tube between the beed. Then he tried to charge me for a new tube.

Only once? Ive jammed hundreds of plugs in tubeless moto tires. Only threw one out that I can recall. I dont even use the rubber cement.
when I was young and single I rode a crotch rocket and put a new rear tire on my cbr and the next day I had a nail in my rear tire.I rode with a plug in if for the life of the tire at outrageously fast speeds with no problems

No rubber cement? Damn you're radical.
I think I had three or four in that tire when it was finally replaced.
A few months ago I had new whitewalls put on my old Heritage Softail. I watched the guy pinch the tube between the beed. Then he tried to charge me for a new tube.
Yep, a real rebel without a clue. 😂

I just always thought the conventional wisdom of never ever ever ever put a plug in a moto tire was over the top.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
You just described "The Exception To The Rule"...........
Happens so infrequently..... But it did happen.
You got your once in a life time.
Enjoy

I didn't see the question.
Could you repeat it please.....for us slow ones ?

Anyway.
The best way to thank the shop is to give them further business, refer your friends to them, use them in the future when there is a need you personally have.
Fuck social media, word of mouth is always better.

Just remember, whenever you walk into a room, your penis has preceded you by a split second since he's out there in front.
Make allowances for him and don't be so rude as to not introduce him to all in attendance.
Then do what is required of any act these days.
Film it.
Post it.

9 hours and still no pics of wife.

1677555769947.gif

sounds like you maybe found the only honest tire shop left on the planet?
Hopefully they properly installed the new tires and hand set the lug nut torque properly.

I am sure most people would insist on taking the 4 free tires. Most people suck

I agree with others above, I would have pulled out the plug kit from the trunk and plugged it. I have a kit in each car.

Never just air up a tire and send your wife on her way. I don't build race cars though so maybe I am missing something

I got a nail in a brand new rear motorcycle tire 300 miles into having it installed. Pissed me off to no end, but I avoided all good advice and plugged it anyway. Ran it another 4000 miles and never had any issues, it never leaked air (more than the front anyway). When I finally had that tire replaced, the guy that did it laughed at the plug in my old tire and told me I was lucky I didn't die and to never do that again. I have never had a plug that I set myself wiggle loose. Not one. I think the issue is a lot of people are not good at putting in plugs (including people that work at shops).

I carry a plug kit in all vehicles but I run into a lot more nails than most given my line of work... glad it worked out for you and them.

Well, technically the vehicle does have differentials to accomodate for things like small differences in tires and different wheel speeds. I get that from tire shops all the time, even after we have put brand new tires on a couple of months earlier.

The concern is that various types of limited-slip and automatically-engaging differentials (be it mechanical or electronic in nature) can be somewhat sensitive to tires with different diameter. Most systems can tolerate a difference of a few percent, but then you've got "exotic" stuff like the Nissan GT-R that has a recommendation to limit differences to something like 4mm (0.16"), and all of a sudden every AWD car gets a reputation for being super-sensitive to tire wear.

Generally speaking, I'm not enthusiastic about running tires with significant difference in tread depth on the same axle. But some of the hand-wringing on this topic gets a bit silly.

A tire plug kit and means to inflate a tire is an excellent idea for the safety/recovery kit.

Reactions: 308pirate

Differentials in an all wheel drive don't make up for anything. A small difference in tire size makes the vehicle think the tire speed is different and tries to engage the all wheel drive during normal driving which will cause bigger, more expensive problems.

All of the tech with wheel speed sensor, traction control and the engineers can't figure out how to disengage the AWD when it's about to get fucked up by someone that can't put a $5 tire plug kit in the glove box. Nevermind the guy that airs up a flat tire without seeking the cause and sends his wife out on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Kamerad and STex
All of the tech with wheel speed sensor, traction control and the engineers can't figure out how to disengage the AWD when it's about to get fucked up by someone that can't put a $5 tire plug kit in the glove box. Nevermind the guy that airs up a flat tire without seeking the cause and sends his wife out on it.

The engineers did figure that stuff out, and most AWD systems will be tolerant of reasonable differences in tire size (such as that which would be occur from tire wear). But the tech at your local Discount Tire and the lawyer at the corporate office don't know that.

The older mechanical diffs are going to be more sensitive. If you've got an Eaton Posi that was built with a lot of clutch preload (800lb spring pack for the win!), it's potentially generating clutch wear every time it slips. But tire size difference would be only one contributor to that problem.

Reactions: 308pirate
Sounds like you made lemonade from lemons and I am sure that the tire folks get a good amount of grief from people during the course of their day. Always nice to have polite and appreciative customers.

My take away is to order some tire repair kits for the cars to avoid future ridicule in The Bear Pit . We have a Discount tire and a Belle Tire near us but you never know....

Sounds like you made lemonade from lemons and I am sure that the tire folks get a good amount of grief from people during the course of their day. Always nice to have polite and appreciative customers.

My take away is to order some tire repair kits for the cars to avoid future ridicule in The Bear Pit . We have a Discount tire and a Belle Tire near us but you never know....

It was only a nail in the tire, It would have been an easy fix to plug it, or even slime it. I was just taken aback by the offer to give me 4 free tires. That was odd, and I think he was dumb founded when we told him they are old needed replacement and I would pay for three.

It just seemed the right thing to do.

I have also been on the other end of an angry customer. Lucky for me "all calls are recorded for training" type deal. When the boss listened to the recording where the customer was cussing me up one side and the other, I just told him I don't have to take that kind of language, talk to me like an adult or I will hang up. You mother fuc....click.

I just think with all the videos we see over people loosing their shit over cold french fries it was refreshing.

Reactions: davesa
If only there was a way to have a larger dia tire become a smaller circumference...,.,. Psi.

I did some research, I think this is his wife.

Attachments

• gettyimages-952076908 (2).jpg
    gettyimages-952076908 (2).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 9
If only there was a way to have a larger dia tire become a smaller circumference...,.,. Psi.
If only they built the system so tires could go slightly diffrent speeds without causing problems. Oh wait. They did. That's why it doesn't jump and bark when you go around a corner. Unless you have a locker or a spool or something.

Reactions: thejeep
I had a local tire shop spend 7 hours mounting a set of run-flats on my Vette. When all was said & done, the owner refused to charge me labor because it took so long. I got the tires from TireRack, so he didn't make anything off them, either.

We bought pizzas for the whole shop the next day, and they got all my business after that, and several recommendations.

I'm not disagreeing with the Intent of the op ., but for the ney sayers I have spool ,elock, brake bias , air locked, to mechanical lock, and even limited slips on my vehicles. Most with slime, most with different tires, and one with even a different wheel. They drive straight. They've got power, personal power, like a Cadillac
. Hell my fzj80 even has a smaller spare by a lot, which drove from sea to sea with one 32and 3 35s. There are work arounds for all. None of them have ever caught fire at least not from the drivetrain.