• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

MSA vs Sordin

db2000

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 27, 2020
    Not sure where to ask this so I'll throw it in the Pit.
    Could anyone explain the role of the two companies in the development and manufacturing of Supreme Pro-X ear muffs?
    Some are marked "Sordin" and others "MSA" but appear to be the same model. From what I've read they are both made in the same factory in Sweden but mostly am curious what role MSA played.
    Thanks.

Attachments

• MSA.jpg
      MSA.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 67
    • Sordin.jpg
      Sordin.jpg
      123.4 KB · Views: 57
    The short answer is "it's complicated":

Reactions: db2000
    Anyone experienced the unit turning off with direct recoil from the rifle stock?

Anyone experienced the unit turning off with direct recoil from the rifle stock?

Not in my set, but I would check out the contacts and springs in the battery box. Could be a weak contact and the battery bounces off the contact when you jar the headset.

Yep.
    Try cleaning the contacts.
    Mine did this after a fair bit of use in the rain.
    Moisture caused a little corrosion on the batteries.
    Also stretch the spring on the cap a little.

R

Reactions: db2000
    I've been using the Sordin Supreme Pro X (with gel cups) for several years. Bought 'em at SRS; nice folks. I do double plug if on an indoor range (one I frequent, although only 25 yards, allows rifles, and having a short AR next to you can get loud).

Mine have held up very well. Some shedding of the coating on the wiring, but no problem with performance. And with the gel cups, they're comfortable for long sessions.

No experience with the Peltors, but I'd highly recommend the Sordins.

Reactions: Keith E.
    Sometimes I'll wear double ear pro and turn up the volume on the muffs to MAX so I can still hear conversations. Do the Sordin's get loud enough on MAX volume to still hear conversations if wearing ear plugs? I've tried several other brands and some are too quiet even on MAX volume to hear with plugs.

Sometimes I'll wear double ear pro and turn up the volume on the muffs to MAX so I can still hear conversations. Do the Sordin's get loud enough on MAX volume to still hear conversations if wearing ear plugs? I've tried several other brands and some are too quiet even on MAX volume to hear with plugs.
    Pretty good with flighted plugs, not as good with foamies.

Keith

Reactions: Arc Light
    Yup

Needs a new battery box. Just had mine repaired for that. Tried cleaning and everything but didn't do much though you should give it a try if so inclined.

I had the battery box replaced by SRS Tactical and has never occurred again. $90 including shipping.

Yup

Needs a new battery box. Just had mine repaired for that. Tried cleaning and everything but didn't do much though you should give it a try if so inclined.

I had the battery box replaced by SRS Tactical and has never occurred again. $90 including shipping.
    They replaced mine free shortly after posting that, just paid shipping.

Reactions: Nik H
    I've been looking for some muffs to use for daytime shooting since switching our amps from helmet to headband is annoying. Not looking to spend amp or peltor $ so the sordins seem to fit the bill.

I'm not really clear on if the supreme pro x is coms capable. They sell a coms package but the description of the muffs makes it sound like it comes with a downlead but it's kinda vague. Our amps are go downlead/ptt/radio. Would it be like that but you'd need a lapel mic?