• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MSR 10 308 quality, reliability, precision?

Schleifalot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2006
Bavarian Forrest, Germany
Hello fellas

What are your experiences with the MSR 10 in 308 regarding quality, reliability, precision?

They start to arive over here, and i consider buying one as a silencer hunting rig.
Price and features are quite atractive, but i have to sell my other AR10 first.

In the past i have seen a lot of defect rifles. Really seen with my own rheumy eyes.
HK MR308 with serious shifting groups, Sig with dug in cam pins, custom AR10 and 15 with broken boltheads and ruined chamber, even broken AKs and Glocks.

As the turnaround time between germany, the US and back is measured in decades instead of weeks, please give me the true gospel.
Not some once a livetime groups of 0,2MOA at a mile you see on the web.

Thanks a lot

As soon as I get back Stateside I'll be picking up the new Savage LR 6.5 CM.. it really looks like they did some homework on it.

Savage 22" 5R barrel & +2 gas.
Quality Trigger
PRS GEN 3 Stock
Adjustable GB

True free-floating handguard (handguard connect to the receiver, not the barrel nut) kinda like LaRue
Non-reciprocating side charging handle
Savage made some tweeks and shrunk down the receiver area a bit making it a completely proprietorial and feels closer to a AR15 but, they left the barrel extension and receiver area DPMS standard, so you can drop in whatever barrel you want down the road. And at $1700.. that's a heck of a deal.

Last edited:
I can't share specific on the 308 version but I do have an MSR10 18" Hunter model in 6.5 Creed. Here is my review and info I have gathered since tinkering with it: Review

Reliability had been *good* but I still get occasional stove pipe issues with factory Hornady 140 ammo. 1 in 20/40 will have ejection issue but I shoot mainly reloads, which have run near flawlessly.

For my money it's been a great platform to build from and shoots average of .6MOA from both the factory and aftermarket barrel.

Reactions: NY700
Thank you, I read your review before I posted my question.
Good writing, better shooting.
I heard from a MSR over here with a crooked barrel. The owner run out of clicks both on iron sight and scope without shots on paper.
The source is reliable.

If this happens, the rifle is away to the manufacturer for at least six month. That is the only reason why I hesitate.

Reactions: Subwrx300
Thank you, I read your review before I posted my question.
Good writing, better shooting.
I heard from a MSR over here with a crooked barrel. The owner run out of clicks both on iron sight and scope without shots on paper.
The source is reliable.

If this happens, the rifle is away to the manufacturer for at least six month. That is the only reason why I hesitate.

I can definitely appreciate that concern. Tough to say if that's the 1 in a million issue or a 1 in 10 issues. Savage seems to be a good company and I'm sure the positive experiences from their products outnumber the negatives but then again I only own two Savage rifles.

The worst part of this is there aren't a ton reviews out on the interwebs so it makes it difficult to feel "warm and fuzzy" about buying a newer platform.

Keep us posted but maybe a local shop will let you put rounds through one before buying.

I don't think it's going to be a problem at all either. The only complaint I've heard so far is the trigger is to light for people who wish to shoot with gloves on, and a couple of the rifles had had loose barrels.. but that's nothing new especially for a new platform. There's always going to be some Growing Pains. In regards to accuracy every review I've read is showing the platform is easily shooting .75-.5 MOA which is extraordinary with a large frame rifle.

The amount of features that come stock on the MSR 10 6.5 creedmoor long range is insane!! I've never seen this much detail in a first generation rifle..

Match Grade SS Savage 5R barrels

Muzzle brake

Quality trigger

Dual Charging Handles ( Left Side non reciprocating charging handle)

Advanced Adjustable Gas Block (design to work even with extreme carbon build up)

PRS GEN 3 Stock

True free-floating handguard, similar to LaRue.

Standard DPMS style barrel extension and receiver fit, so installing any DPMS barrel of your choosing with ease.

The Carrier is machine from one solid piece, including the gas key.

The bolt has dual injectors and it's very similar to the KAC SR25 design.

All this at $1,700!!

Bigjake, I live in Germany. Sending back and forth with customs hassle included six month is on the sunny side.

I don't want to badmouth savage, i have just seen too much broken or just bad stuff even with company's with excellent reputation.

With optics i use european glass only. Turnaround time with Swarovski and Kahles is two weeks.
If i were in the US i would use US stuff exclusively. Same reason, short ways. It is good if you can drive over and scream (complain in person) at the guy who sold you a lemon.

A MSR10 hunter is backordered for me. In march is the IWA in Nürnberg, Savage is there. I will inspect the MSR very closely there.

Bigjake, I live in Germany. Sending back and forth with customs hassle included six month is on the sunny side.

I don't want to badmouth savage, i have just seen too much broken or just bad stuff even with company's with excellent reputation.

With optics i use european glass only. Turnaround time with Swarovski and Kahles is two weeks.
If i were in the US i would use US stuff exclusively. Same reason, short ways. It is good if you can drive over and scream (complain in person) at the guy who sold you a lemon.

A MSR10 hunter is backordered for me. In march is the IWA in Nürnberg, Savage is there. I will inspect the MSR very closely there.
No worries Brother...

Overall, I think the MSR10 Hunter platform 1100-1200 at real world pricing (retail is around 1500) could help bring prices for similar rifles down and even become a new "standard" similar to how RPR pushed the design/cost envelope for bolt action precision rifles. So I'm rooting for the continued success of the MSR10 line.

As long as Savage keeps higher tolerances and QC at volume, the community will have a great option to get into precision Semi-auto rifles. Some of the 2k-3k+ high end platforms, like JP, GAP and POF etc, are simply out of reach for guys building multiple rifles.

That fact that a $1200 MSR held .5-.75MOA (or better) consistently after a little bit of development and work speaks volumes to the advances of modern machining and cost effective builds. More options for us will ultimately drive better options in the future!

Let's hope more guys keep chiming in with positive experiences!

Hello fellas

What are your experiences with the MSR 10 in 308 regarding quality, reliability, precision?

They start to arive over here, and i consider buying one as a silencer hunting rig.
Price and features are quite atractive, but i have to sell my other AR10 first.

In the past i have seen a lot of defect rifles. Really seen with my own rheumy eyes.
HK MR308 with serious shifting groups, Sig with dug in cam pins, custom AR10 and 15 with broken boltheads and ruined chamber, even broken AKs and Glocks.

As the turnaround time between germany, the US and back is measured in decades instead of weeks, please give me the true gospel.
Not some once a livetime groups of 0,2MOA at a mile you see on the web.

Thanks a lot

I picked up the MSR lr in a 308 last August. I've had my ups and downs with this rifle. Finely sent it back to Savage at their request. Shipped it day before thanksgiving and got it back couple days after Christmas! The report showed work on the rifle, but not specific. Also said it was a 1/2" at 100 yrds, with FGMM 168!
I picked up a box and tried to duplicate their statement. Amazing! Two 5 shot groups less than a 1/2"! I'm trying to load 175 to 178 and get them to shoot. 42.1 grains of imr4064 with new LC brass (pulled and primed) LR 12 might give me the right combination hoping for 2600'. I do know I can't chase speed so I may have to go down in powder charge? Anyway the rifle (to me) is perfect and when you get with the right people at Savage they'll go out of their way to correct it. JMHO
Hope to have a range report soon

Short update
I got my Hunter 308, got a top deal.
The first rounds were erratic, shitty surplus as function check.

Sighted in the ironsights (Era-Tac front, KAC 2-600 rear), about 2 MOA, my average at this range due tobad lighting.
Mounted the scope, Swaro 1,4-6#42, some rounds surplus for checking the setup. Then sighting in with S&B 147grs fmj, about 1MOA. Adjusting the gas system like shown in the YouTube vid worked like a charm.

Changed over to the silencer
Sighted in the fmj, tuned the gas, tested a batch of 180 grs sp rn hunting ammo.
Slightly less than 1MOA.

The MSR works like a charm. No hickups, good accuracy, lightweight. I put about 100 rounds through it.
It is a keeper

I changed the stock to a CTR and put in a SSA-E trigger.

It is ready to go hog hunting

Here a group of five shots at 100m to verify after some banging around the rifle. I sight my hunting rifles 2cm high at 100m, so I have point blank from 30m to 150m.
Sellier & Bellot 180grs SP RN

Attachments

• 20190406_210833-1.jpg
    20190406_210833-1.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 79