• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

much difference in accuracy?

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
Unless i totally missed this somewhere (i looked)

Is there much difference in accuracy between a 16" and 18" out to 200 yards?

Also will Chrome lining (ive heard theres a minimal effect) have any impact on accuracy out to this range also?

I want to go 16" with a 3x9 optic....just wondering if im losing much not opting for the 18"

Re: much difference in accuracy?

Which rifle platform are you asking about ?

A 16" barrel will get you well past 200yds accurately, granted you have a top tier barrel such as Shilen, Bartlein, Rock Creek, etc.

A barrel being chrome lined will have minimal effect on accuracy but it can extend the barrel life and also make cleaning much easier than a standard or stainless steel barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which rifle platform are you asking about ? </div></div>

Whoops! sorry, AR15....Will be in a Larue 13.2 Free Float Quad rail..

Barrel length isn't directly related to accuracy. The additional length will give you a little more velocity which in turn gives you a flatter shooting round. In .223/5.56, I don't think the 2" of barrel will make any noticeable difference at 200 yards.

My colt 6920 (16" chrome lines barrel) shoots well all the way to 530 yards which is the farthest I've taken it. 2" of barrel aren't going to make a huge difference in velocity. I'd buy the setup you like best and shoot the hell out of it. You'll get a lot more enjoymwnt out of your rifle that way.

From what I have been told, the velocities between the two are marginal at best. However, between the 16 and 14.5 and under, the FPS really start to drop at a rapid pace. a chrome lined 16inch should be sufficient enough, if you are really worried about it, go with the 18 inch