• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mueller All-Purpose Tactical - Favorable review

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
I wanted a zoom scope with exposed target knobs. I've been using my Bushnell 3200 series, but it was a fixed 10x. Based on a few favorable reviews and a lack of any terrible reviews, I picked up a Mueller APT as something to tide me over until I save up to get a better optic, and took it out today to test it out. I wasn't expecting a whole lot (brought a backup), but it was surprisingly good.

MT451440.jpg

I figured I'd share my experience in case anybody else shares my low budget for optics, but wants a decent scope to practice with.

The Good
1 - The clicks were dead on, I tested it from 100-400 yards and back repeatedly. This is a biggie in my book, I've had scopes that don't return to zero and they are pretty much useless for long range shooting. The APT's clicks were consistent and agreed with previous dope and my shooting partner's NXS. Both good signs. It shot the box at 100 yards and returned to zero, with 1/2" groups all the way around (see attached pic).

2 - The knobs were solid and easy to use, good tactile clicks and resettable to (almost) zero. Overall a good design.

3 - The adjustable objective was accurately marked and performed well. I tested it out from 25-410 yards and there was very little parallax

4 - The zoom range is from 4.5-14x, and up to about 12 the clarity was good to very good. From 12-14 it got a little fuzzy around the edges as many budget scopes do. I was able to shoot 3" balloons at 400 yds without trouble resolving any details on them at 14x. It was a bright day, I didn't test it in the critical dusk time when the glass coatings really pay off.

5 - The mildot was accurate and labelled correctly for use at 10x. At 100 yards a 11" tall sheet of paper measured exactly 3 mils, which is very close.

The Bad
1 - The scope definitely is not forgiving on eye position. If you move off axis much at all it shadows. This tends to be a problem for lower cost scopes, and this one had it. With proper eye position it wasn't bad, and with a good installation this can be mitigated and may even assist in learning to develop a consistent cheek weld. I found it annoying though when spotting for my shooting partner.

2 - The resettable knobs are only resettable to 1/2 MOA, despite being 1/4 MOA click knobs. So if you're unlucky then your knobs will read 1/4 MOA off at zero. I was lucky on the elevation which reads zero at 100 yds, and unlucky on the windage which now reads -1 at 100 yrds zero.

Overall this scope serves my purpose of ranging and shooting at targets out to 600-800 yards in daylight conditions. I was impressed by the consistency and accuracy of the elevation and windage adjustments, and the ability to return to zero consistently. Based on my experience I would recommend it to anybody who is looking to do this type of shooting.

Here's the box I shot at 100 yds. The box is 6" x 6" box, the target is marked in 3" graduations.

mueller_box.jpg

Here's a video shooting a rock at 400 yds
Youtube

Re: Mueller All-Purpose Tactical - Favorable review

I forgot to post, I got the scope from SWFA and it cost me $155 shipped.

I later found you can order them from some guy in Alaska and get a free sunshade with it for about the same price.

Re: Mueller All-Purpose Tactical - Favorable review

Yeah I got it from Mizzou Mule guns in AK and got a free sunshade.

Glad you liked the scope, I havent really gotten to test mine out as good as I wanted.