• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mueller APT on a .308?

sims5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Central Ohio
Anyone using this NEW MUELLER APT (ALL PURPOSE TACTICAL) SCOPE.
4.5X14 40MM on your .308? I know it isn't a top of the line but I'm not going to be using this rifle for life/death situations and thought that this might be good. Price is $145 shipped and it has a 30mm tube.

Re: Mueller APT on a .308?

YO...I wrote the review...its going on almost 300 rounds on my .308 and doing just fine

What height rings and base did you use? I was thinking of using the Weaver tactical rings, the ones with the six screws, not sure about the base?

seaaggie, AWESOME review! If my .308 deal comes thru I know what scope will be on it!

Thanks

definately not...for me even medium rings are too tall

What is the advantage to the 20 moa base over the factory base? Anything other than the gain of the elevation?
Glad I asked about the ring height.

bummer just looked up the Weaver Tactical Rings two different places and they list only highs!

you will gain more up elevation from a 100 yard zero with a 20 moa base.

with the 20 moa base, my gun sits right at the middle of the adjustment range for the scope at 600 yards, so at 1000 yards i should have plenty of extra elevation. so i guess in a since with a 100 yard zero, you would have a percieved gain in elevation travel. (the scope gains none, its just angled off the bat)

The gun I'm looking at buying has the 2 piece Weaver base, probably use it and see if it works ok for me. Doubt I'm going to get much farther than 600, if I'm lucky to get that.

With that base and the Mueller APT should I get medium rings?

The gun also has the Choate Varmint stock.

I had one on my 22LR for about a week and a half. Sadly I had to return said scope as the elevation knob would not come off to set the turret to 0... and man did I try. The glass quality was very nice for the price, and the scope felt pretty nice... clicks were good with a little bit of play. I returned it and purchased a konus 4.5-16x40 for $250... I haven't gotten to shoot the new scope yet... but I have it mounted and I like it. I'd recomend either... both are good budget scopes. I don't necessairly like the design of the APT knob's from the inside (though they didn't feel too bad). The Konus knobs feel better... however I have to deal with 1/8 moa clicks (I'm gonna be clicking a lot on that little 22LR).

With a Weaver 2 piece base on the 10fp with a Choate Varmint stock and a Mueller APT, which height rings should I get? I don't have the gun yet but will soon, just trying to get it all planned out.

Thanks

According to a couple posts in the review from the above link done by seaaggie the vertical adjustment is between 70 and 84 and the windage was 92. Hope that is what you were wanting to know.

when i took mine off my gun the other day, it was 78 up/down, and about 74 side/side

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sims5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a Weaver 2 piece base on the 10fp with a Choate Varmint stock and a Mueller APT, which height rings should I get? I don't have the gun yet but will soon, just trying to get it all planned out.

Thanks </div></div>

Get rings that are about 0.9" to 1" in height. Works well for me on my Choate Ultimate Sniper stock with picatinny rail.

I put an APT on my .308 and shot about 100 rounds today. I was very impressed with the windage and elevation accuracy and return-to-zero. The glass was adequate for daylight use.

No trouble or complaints from me, its a good scope backed by a good warranty.

Sweet, I have mine and just waiting on the stock to dry and get the scope mounted. I'll probably post some pics tomorrow.

I have it on a one piece Leupold base, with "high" leupold STD rings. It would really be better with Medium rings, as it sits up a hair too high.

Warranty is good. My 4x16 sportdot didn't last long enough to get my 22lr sighted in,lol. They did send me a new one though.

Got my scope mounted today and the paint is dry so here are a few pics for ya. Thanks to all for the help and info.

Savage 10fp .308 20"
Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock (painted by me)
Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 with Burris XTR Med Rings.

I'll get some better pictures outside but couldn't wait to get these here.

Savage_10fp11.JPG

Savage_10fp3.JPG

Savage_10fp2.JPG

Savage_10fp4.JPG

Savage_10fp5.JPG