• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mueller Tactical or Vortex Crossfire???

Shiraz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Land of the Free
ok, so trying to sort these scopes out.

Vortex Crossfire 4-16X50 has 100MOA of adjustment, 30mm, illum, $219

Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 has 75MOA of adjustment, 30mm, illum, $219

Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 has 75 MOA of adjustment, 30mm, not-illum, $199

Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 has ??MOA of adjustment, 1 inch, not illum, $99(anyone know how much adjustment these have?)

Mueller 4.5-14X40 APT has 75 MOA of adjustment, 30mm, non-allum, $145

Mueller 4.5-14X50 has xxMOA of adjustment, 1 inch, illum, $219(anyone know how much adjustment these have?)

Mueller 8.5-25X44 APT has xxMOA of adjustment, 1 inch, non-allum, $159(anyone know how much adjustment these have?)

These all will return to zero, seem to have decent amount of internal adjustment, so.....................

Which has better glass?
Which is a better scope and why?
Is the $99 Vortex worth it?

Both have good:

target turrets
mildots

If you were to pick between these, what would you want?

My budget is $225

thanks

Re: Mueller Tactical or Vortex Crossfire???

Rifle you are putting it on and its intended use?

At first glance, not knowing the above, I'd say this one.
Vortex Crossfire 4-16X50 has 100MOA of adjustment, 30mm, illum, $219

I am shopping a similar list, in my case for a .22 project, and would love more feedback on the relative clarity of the Crossfire. It's fancy brothers get all the press...

If I never wanted elevation beyond 100yds, the Clearidge RM. Otherwise it's the APT, Crossfire, or go beyond $300 fast.

Other than the Mueller 4.5-14x40AO, they all have capped target style turrets.

Has anyone had the chance to look through both? Is the glass comparable?

I've read the reviews, they both seem like a good choice in this price range.

Also the turrets seem to have the same level of click crispness.

I have a Mueller APT (4-14x40), and it's pretty solid.

The glass is okay, it gets a bit fuzzy around dusk. The glass is noticeably darker than my Nikon, but on par with my Bushnell 3200 and Nikon Gameseeker.

I was pleased with the turrets, resettable knobs, and return to zero of the scope. The mueller knobs are only resettable to 1/2MOA, although they are 1/4 MOA knobs. So you might be off a click.

I put it on a one piece Leupold STD base with 30mm rings, and shimmed the rear of the base 0.025", giving me 60 MOA of up elevation at 100 Yd zero.

Overall I am satisfied with the build and features of the scope, everything works as advertised.

Attached is a picture of the box I shot at 100 yds last weekend with it.

mueller_box.jpg

I love my apt. It is really clear and tracks well. I have nothing bad to say about it.

I have a Mueller Tac and love it. Holds zero perfectly and the glass is very good for the price. Also the illumination is nice and even and doesn't get fuzzy, even on the highest setting. The only thing I don't like is that you have to range on the 8x setting which is just wierd. Otherwise this is a truly good buy.

No Vortex Crossfire shooters around?
Does anyone buy these then?

Their upscale scopes get good reviews, interesting.

There tends to be a lot more high-end scopes around this forum.

I've heard good things about the crossfires, but no personal experience with one.

I know the higher end scopes get more luv, but not everybody has big $$ for a budget.

It is these price point scopes where the competition is.

Guys only spending $200 to $300 are really looking for the most for their $$.

thanks though.