• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Mule Deer in MT

dyoung

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
CA
Thought I would share the results of a very special mule deer hunt with two good buddies of mine

Dougsbuck.jpg

KimandDoug.jpg

Kimsbuck.jpg

Re: Mule Deer in MT

I have to fess up. Did not get a chance to exersise the GAP 338LM this trip. It was close. Pretty stupid during full rut. It was beautiful.

Damn Doug, Nice pics!! Who's the photographer?.......grin!

It was fun and I'm looking forward to next year...

kimdoug060.jpg

This one turned out pretty good..

When the tags were filled we played with the rifles for a few hours under near perfect conditions. Doug put on a clinic with his GAP .338LM. I was most impressed with a 5 shot group at 710 meters that went into a 3" circle. 300gr scenars are working well in that rifle!

Both, are great looking bucks. Congratulations and good job behind the camera PGS.

Yeah the photographer did good...not a bad guide either..here are some pics with the guide and photographer..

DougandPatlowres.jpg

KimandPatlowres.jpg

Wow! Very nice! Congratulations to all. Looks like your guide knows what he's doing...
whistle.gif

You guys did real well...nice deer and good shooting. Looks like a very good time!

Yeah, I've heard about that guide fella, gotta watch him, he does crazy things. Shoots large game animals, crosses large bodies of water at night in very windy conditions with an overloaded boat. He's quite a character.

Here is the exit wound of the 300 Scenar. Target bullets are no good for game:)

338Sexit.jpg

Hey since this is my post I will hijack it and ask you guys some advice. I was in
TX hunting (4500 elevation 90 degrees) and verified several points on my chart...had to tweak the BC and velosity on Exbal to match actual point of impact. On Exbal I am inputing temp and elevation (not checking use std pressure)...so I assumed it was going to be spot on when I went to MT ...Then when Pat and I went rock hunting some of the longer shots were a few clicks too high.

What's up? The software should correct for elevation and temp...why was I off?

Doug

Did you have the same humidity as your Texas range card? I usually factor in 40-50% humidity out here..

Looks like you guys had an awesome hunt Doug, I hope you don't mind but I drooled on your horns at the taxidermist shop. I heard from a good source that your .338LM is a tack driver
wink.gif

Hi Owen
That was the best move I ever made in building that rifle...now I have the infectionn and have 3 more builds in the works.

It was a good hunt but I have to say we missed seeing you. Just felt weird you were not there. Hope to cross paths again someday.

Doug

Pat
I played with the humidity and I do not think it could account for the 2 or 3 clicks I was off. I was told to just set it at 78% humidity and call it good.

Is this true or not?

Some nice deep forks on your buck dyoung. Looks like it was a good hunt. Rifle seems to work too;) Congrats!!

Nice animals, How wide is that first one? 21"?
I sat and watched one yesterday with a similiar width- not as tall though. Let him walk, if he makes it to next year he'll be a very nice deer.

Good job

That second buck is exactly what I have been after for my entire hunting life..both are very nice

Thanks guys...It was a great hunt with good friends. gong to try er again next year if we can. Honestly we did not measure the width of my buck...he was not wide .....it was an old deer and we took him because of that and his unique forks, and good mass. We rough scored him at 177.