• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multiple Reloading Tools Advice

SHKyle

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
I'm looking to add some other tools to my reloading bench. I currently am reloading for 7mm Rem Mag with the redding competition type S bushing dies on a forster coax. I'm looking for recommendations on (1) what expander die (K&M, Sinclair, 21st Century). Is it worth going with the coated dies over the stainless? Am I correct that the turning die sizes 0.002" under and the expander is 0.001" under nominal bullet size? (2) What anvil micrometer you are using to measure brass thickness at the neck to select a bushing size. (3) Is it worth investing in the larry willis die for sizing above the belt? (4) What concentricity gauge would you recommend for measuring your loaded ammo? (5) What brass are you buying for 7mm Rem Mag? I'd like to find some better quality stuff than the Winchester I've got. Thanks in advance.

I don't have experience with some of this but I have been studying it for when I do.

All three of those expander dies will do a fine job, the k&m and 21st have a more... devoted (?) following from the comments I've seen. Not sure about coating but I do know that people recommend carbide if you can stomach the upcharge.

I have a generic rcbs micrometer meter and I feel it does a good enough job. I think k&m offers a service where they grind the anvil at an angle to get an even closer to the shoulder measurement but I opted to go cheaper on a sale.

Ive never heard anything bad about the Larry Willis and I've only ever heard it recommended.

The 21st conc gauge is top notch and I would like to get around to having one but the Sinclair is nice too and I'll probably cheap out on that too as it won't actually offer me any time savings. I like how the 21st works which gets you the runout on the bullet from the case where as the Forster has the base and tip mounted and you measure the runout of the case from the bullet tip centerline.

Hope I've provided some jumping off points and that others will correct where I'm off base. Accurateshooter.com deals with these more so than Ive seen here at the hide.

Last edited:
spife, thanks for your advice. I'll look into the RCBS micrometer.

I'm looking like a 21st Century fanboy lately. Got their concentricity gauge a while back and like it (except for the slippery spinner wheel that turned out to be a waste of $). Recently got their neck turn lathe which includes an expander die. I assume you're talking about the ball type anvil micrometer as opposed to the v-anvil type? The RCBS vernier ball micrometer is good bang per buck. I've gotten lazy and have moved to digital calipers and micrometers but there is not a huge selection of digital ball mics. Mitutomo has one for ~$400... I was tempted to just plunk down the cash for the Sinclair but the reviews are lousy.

I would recommend a bushing that is .002 smaller than the measured OD of a loaded round in conjunction with a carbide expander ball instead of a mandrel. Use calipers to measure loaded round neck, no need for a ball micrometer. I have one and don't use it. You know that you've chosen the right bushing size when the expander ball creates a neck OD that is around 0.0005 to 0.001 larger than with just the bushing and no expander. Minimal expansion will help keep concentric results. Main advantage of this approach will be cheaper and quicker, don't have to run the brass twice. Sinclair concentricity gauge works well and is reasonably priced. I've heard very good things about Larry Willis die but haven't used it myself.