• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multiple rifles in one caliber

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    What do you guys do when you have multiple rifles in one caliber? More specifically the full sizer... The bushing can be replaced very easy only for different brass, however the issue is with bumping each only .002 back. Currently I have the die all locked up to push my main rifles brass .002. If I was to loosen it up, I would have to consistently spend time remeasuring every time I was to set up to reload for a different rifle.

Any easy solutions out there other than just buying separate dies?

Redding competition shell holder set. The shell holder set are ground .002"- 010" and you can adjust shoulder bump by using the different shell holders. With the set, you can adjust the amount of shoulder bump without changing the setting on your sizing die. Redding Competition Shellholder Set #1 (308 Winchester 30-06

You can also do it with a set of "Skip's die shims". The Skip's shims are less expensive than the Redding set. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...es/skip-s-die-shim-kit-7-8-14--prod33197.aspx

Redding competition shell holder set. The shell holder set are ground .002"- 010" and you can adjust shoulder bump by using the different shell holders. With the set, you can adjust the amount of shoulder bump without changing the setting on your sizing die. Redding Competition Shellholder Set #1 (308 Winchester 30-06

You can also do it with a set of "Skip's die shims". The Skip's shims are less expensive than the Redding set. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...es/skip-s-die-shim-kit-7-8-14--prod33197.aspx

Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you

Sell that Rump Ranger ride in your sig line and buy another die:p I've never messed with shims, they'd work, but I just buy the second die, for what we have in these rifles?????????????

Sell that Rump Ranger ride in your sig line and buy another die:p I've never messed with shims, they'd work, but I just buy the second die, for what we have in these rifles?????????????

Actually replaced it with something else a while ago, I've just been lazy to update the signature haha

I'm gonna try to Redding set and see how that works out

I think each rifle deserves it's own cases, and if you need to adjust a die, I don't consider that a big deal. If it is, then go ahead and dedicate a set of dies for each rifle. I wouldn't. BB

IMO, if you're using $25 plain jane dies, get a set for each rifle. If you're going for micrometer/bushing/high$$$ dies, you can try to use a set for mutiple rifles but it might involve headaches.

Each rifle should have it's own dedicated die set and brass. I treat each one as if it is a separate caliber. It is not just the sizer die, but the seater too. I set em once and leave em alone until they need adjustment again.

My seaters a Forester Competition, so they have micrometer adjustments. Super easy to adjust between loads....

Until recently I had one load that worked great in three guns. I have since backed load down for new rifle. All bolt guns so far. I have tried loading for the M1A but had chambering issues. Only running surplus ammo in it. Varget in all loads so far.

Last edited:
    For the most part I load for the rounds to fit the case gauge so no matter what I am shooting from beltfed to bolt action, they all work.

I have, over the years, accumulated more than one sizing die, so I am able to leave them set up to individual rifles, I like this!

If I was to do it over, I would just have custom sizing dies made for each rifle and not look back.

There is no problem with one size fits all as far as reliability goes, but not for maximum precision.

Last edited:
    I buy a set of Lee collet dies and Redding FLS die for every dedicated barrel conversion and just lock them down. Saves tons of time and just makes my busy life easier!

The best option would be to have a die and brass for each rifle. At a minimum you can adjust the die for the tightest chamber and set the FL die for that. You need to keep the brass separate. You will find that custom barrel rifles will be on the tight side and factory guns will be on the loose size. the effect is that you will be sizing the brass slightly excessively for the factory or "big chamber rifles" there is no danger in this and provided you keep the brass separate I don't think you will see a difference.

I try the easy route first and see what happens, provided the easy route produces acceptable accuracy I just go with that. Most excess overly complicated and time consuming practices will produce little additional accuracy gains in factory guns or the requirements for an increase in .25 MOA are not worth the time and effort required. For example 2 MOA ammo is just fine for my short range .223 3 gun ammo.

For my .223 AR-15 3 gun "short range" ammo and .308 battle rifle ammo, I don't worry about sorting brass. I have one loading set up with tight dimension dies that I use as I pick up range .223 and .308 brass for these guns and don't bother sorting the brass.