• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multiple Rifles - too few optics

hack405

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2020
    Gardnerville, Nv
    What is your experience/process to minimize time and effort from moving your optic between guns or multiple guns?

I did it for the first time today and the difference between guns was an elevation difference of 6 mils high. I had expected to be within a mil or 2.

One thing I am thinking is the first gun has a zero MOA Rail and the second has a 20 MOA Rail. Both muzzle velocities are ~ 2850 fps.

Scope is Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 in a Spuhr mount. I mounted the optic on the bench in the Spuhr. Moved assembled unit from gun to gun.

I like to have a dedicated optic for each rifle. I'd also like to avoid buying another optic.

I run same action on multiple rifles. Regardless you are always going to have to re-zero.

Thanks guys.
    I figured on having to re-zero. Thanks CShooter92. Easy math that I should have done first, but I often get distracted thinking something is a bigger problem than it is.

You’re all right. I’d rather move one good scope around than have 10 shitty ones.

Swapping optics is a pain.

If I found myself limited to one optic, I would seriously consider just consolidating everything to one rifle with multiple barrels. If going between small cartridges and magnums, I would be looking at a system like the DTA. While I have a few rifles and optics, one rifle has 3 barrels, so I do swap barrels somewhat regularly as needed - you can consider doing this with one of your current rifles if feasible.

You would still have to zero with barrel changes, and like @Huskydriver stated, a TT with tool-less zero would excel in that role.

Sorry, not really a quick solution to your question. But certainly something to consider.

Reactions: DIBBS
    There is some really decent cheaper optics. I keep higher end optics on the rifles I shoot more and cheaper stuff on the stuff I don't shoot as often

Reactions: FWoo45 and Modoc
    I play musical scopes all the time and don't mind doing so.
    If you have the ability to rezero them each time and it's not a hassle then it's really not the end of the world.

If you can't rely on being able to re-zero make sure you keep good notes on what offsets each rifle requires and make sure you know what scope is zeroed for which rifle.

I find it easiest to have all offsets based of my 22lr zero, as if I do end up getting lost it's the easy for me to re-zero the 22lr in my backyard.

The main reason I play musical scopes is I like using different scopes for different uses. I'd need to double or tripple up my arsenal to achieve the same thing.

Swapping optics is a pain.

If I found myself limited to one optic, I would seriously consider just consolidating everything to one rifle with multiple barrels. If going between small cartridges and magnums, I would be looking at a system like the DTA. While I have a few rifles and optics, one rifle has 3 barrels, so I do swap barrels somewhat regularly as needed - you can consider doing this with one of your current rifles if feasible.

You would still have to zero with barrel changes, and like @Huskydriver stated, a TT with tool-less zero would excel in that role.

Sorry, not really a quick solution to your question. But certainly something to consider.
    This is what I did. I bought 2 Zeus quick change actions with 308 bf, a SA magnum bolt, and 5 different barrels. One setup is a lighter NRL hunter setup and the other is my heavy PRS rig. So I have options to shoot and only need 2 scopes.

Last edited:
    Each of mine are ready to grab and go right out of the safe. Optics, lights, levels, slings, bayonets, weights, whatever...each has its own accessories that stay with it. Targets at 500 and beyond? Grab one of several, some ammo, the LRF and spotter. Prairie Dogs? Grab and go with maybe 3 or 4 at the same time. No wasting time moving shit around and then find the new zero.

Each of mine are ready to grab and go right out of the safe. Optics, lights, levels, slings, bayonets, weights, whatever...each has its own accessories that stay with it. Targets at 500 and beyond? Grab one of several, some ammo, the LRF and spotter. Prairie Dogs? Grab and go with maybe 3 or 4 at the same time. No wasting time moving shit around and then find the new zero.
    I'm not rich enough to own 5 ZCO's so I consolidated. I used to have a scope on a bunch of rifles but sold them all to have better quality toys that just require barrel swaps

I'm not rich enough to own 5 ZCO's so I consolidated. I used to have a scope on a bunch of rifles but sold them all to have better quality toys that just require barrel swaps

As nice as it would be to have dedicated alpha quality rifles and glass for each task, not everyone has that kind of coin. Myself included.

So I completely understand. My Mausingfield has 3 barrels, and have considered selling my dedicated .300NM rifle for a multi-cal platform like a DTA.

As nice as it would be to have dedicated alpha quality rifles and glass for each task, not everyone has that kind of coin. Myself included.

So I completely understand. My Mausingfield has 3 barrels, and have considered selling my dedicated .300NM rifle for a multi-cal platform like a DTA.
    I get that. I couldn't afford it either till I sold a bunch of basic rifles to buy a couple nice ones

Operator AF

Is it really any easier to have a switch barrel setup?

The problem with scope switching is making sure you remember the correct offset and keeping track of what is zeroed where.

A switch barrel setup has this same issue unless. I've got a switch barrel setup on a Tikka and the zero difference in barrels is 2mils in elevation, enough that it warrants rezeroing the scope.

It's probably easier to move a scope than it is to switch barrels.
    Assuming your scope RTZs reliably, which in my experience all good rings/mounts do

On a switch barrel you have to switch the barrel and rezero the scope. Sounds like more work not less.

Is it really any easier to have a switch barrel setup?

The problem with scope switching is making sure you remember the correct offset and keeping track of what is zeroed where.

A switch barrel setup has this same issue unless. I've got a switch barrel setup on a Tikka and the zero difference in barrels is 2mils in elevation, enough that it warrants rezeroing the scope.

It's probably easier to move a scope than it is to switch barrels.
    Assuming your scope RTZs reliably, which in my experience all good rings/mounts do
    All of my barrels are within a few tenths of each other. I always check zero before shooting anyway so it's pretty simple to make a minor adjustment and go shoot

Reactions: beetroot
    With a good switch barrel setup and consistent technique they can be 100% consistent for POI shift which makes it as simple as logging the zero shift between barrels and dialing that when swapping. On all of my AI's I could swap barrels, move the turrets, and cut the center out of a target.

With that said, with a good optic in a good one piece mount on a action with a straight rail (ideally custom action) you can swap optics around pretty consistently too but from my experience not as consistent as a solid switch barrel.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    I have some nice guns with good optics, and some regulars with optics that I purchased used or on clearance. A couple of the scopes were as low as $250 but are more for fun than serious stuff, and have not given me an issue.

Reactions: Aftermath
    Operator AF
    More like I just don't want to fuck with moving shit around and waste time and ammo rezeroing. I know I can lift one out of the safe, pick up the ammo, look at the card taped on the stock and go hit shit. I don't have ZCO or TT level shit though. I stick with NF, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Bushnell and Burris for conventional optics and red dots. I do have one ACOG. I might have a few extra decades of gathering shit than many others here.

Reactions: Hennig
    I appreciate all the responses. I have been off playing musical optics and I really don't like it. Not much for switching barrels either. I think I'll gather some lower end or used optics for the rifles I don't shoot that much.

Thanks

Reactions: CSTactical
    I appreciate all the responses. I have been off playing musical optics and I really don't like it. Not much for switching barrels either. I think I'll gather some lower end or used optics for the rifles I don't shoot that much.

Thanks

Feel free to give me a call at 916-628-3490 and we can go over some options to get some scopes in your price range :)

Easy to swap barrels and bolthead

More like I just don't want to fuck with moving shit around and waste time and ammo rezeroing. I know I can lift one out of the safe, pick up the ammo, look at the card taped on the stock and go hit shit. I don't have ZCO or TT level shit though. I stick with NF, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Bushnell and Burris for conventional optics and red dots. I do have one ACOG. I might have a few extra decades of gathering shit than many others here.

I agree - I did the switch barrel and swapping scope thing early days and wouldn’t go back. If I want a new rifle I just accept it needs new glass. I don’t get to shoot as much as I used to pre-kids, so don’t want to think about rezeroing every time I go out.

Reactions: Aftermath
    I agree - I did the switch barrel and swapping scope thing early days and wouldn’t go back. If I want a new rifle I just accept it needs new glass. I don’t get to shoot as much as I used to pre-kids, so don’t want to think about rezeroing every time I go out.
    You, too, are “Operator AF”. 😂

If you aren’t “Operator AF”, GBPSE.

Reactions: Hennig