• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Multiple Shots at a Whitetail......

Tripwire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
VA
Bang......

1copy.jpg

2copy.jpg

Bang, bang bang.......

3copy.jpg

4copy.jpg

Bangedy bang bang ba bang......

5copy.jpg

6copy.jpg

7-1.jpg

Button buck, one of four baldies that got REALLY close this morning. Had this one at ten feet, scrounging for acorns, but couldn't get the phone out of my pocket without getting busted. Cell phone pics suck, but he's at 15 yards and didn't know I was in the world. Seems the little fucker needs to learn that a dude with rifle 10 feet from where he wants to eat isn't the key to a long happy life. Hope to see him in a couple of years, with some bone on his head.

Even took a couple cracks at a big Fox a little while later, one of three that seemed to want to sit in my lap this morning....

squirrel2.jpg

squirrel3.jpg

Re: Multiple Shots at a Whitetail......

GREAT shot of the fox squirrell!!! More exciting than the B/B. Don't see too many of those.

I had a Button walk up and sniff my ALICE pack about 12 years ago. I had it laying on the ground behind me while leaning against the trunk of a big Hemlock. He walked right past me with no hint I was in the world. Later that season I drug his big brother right past him, he was about 30 yards away in a thicket and never paid me a bit of mind.
Last day of the season some MFINGPOSSOB shot him from the road and left him laying by the entrance to my property.
Still awesome to sit and watch them like that though isn't it?

Speed there is no shortage of Fox Squirrels in our neck of the woods.

A man could eat VERY good for a long time on Fox Squirrels around here.....one ran down that log when the bb was at 10 feet and stopped just short of running right over my lap. Another foot closer and I probably could have grabbed his tail.

Love being this close to stuff, and to think, I quit tree hunting a while back, and I quit wearing rubber boots a couple decades ago.

The 8 point I shot last week was also at about 15 yards (on the same ridge), and never had a clue what a fatal mistake he had just made......

Have never hunted from a fixed stand, but having 360 acres of my own property allows me to do that. Most of the deer I've ever killed have been within 30 yards or so. It fun using "Addonexus" to reach out several hundred yards and drop one. Course at 62, it's not as easy to hump the boonies as it used to be, plus shooting at the extended ranges now has forced me into fixed stands, but I guess I can live with it . . . especially the hot coffee on cold mornings and an ass that isn't frozen solid.

Contradicted myself perfectly yesterday evening to the other extreme by going out with my farming buddy to his shooting tower, which over looks alfalfa, cow pasture, a wooded creek, pine thicket, cornfield, and his special 500 yard "fancy weed patch" in the middle of a brush lot out there...all in a beautiful valley at the foot of the mountain.

Yesterday my rifle season ended due to work so my goal was to end it with some sort of a long range kill, with the new rifle that Triple6 and I put together this summer....probably the biggest reason for letting the bb & co. go peacefully about their business in the morning.

Around 45 minutes before last legal light a big Doe came out from the brush thicket containing the fancy weed patch and into the cut cornfield out to our right. She began feeding in the grass in the middle of a waterway out there, and went full broadside for me.

My buddy's 1600 yard laser put her at 599, my 1200 laser put her at 601/602, so I dialed 8.5 up from my 300 yard zero and got ready to launch a 190 SMK to 600. She put a hind leg up to scratch an ear, I asked my buddy if he was ready in his scope, ears on, etc....he was, and as soon as the hind leg touched back down I squeezed it off center mass on the lungs.

It initially appeared I had missed as she launched like a rocket straight out the way she was facing and no sign of being hit, but, the tail never went up. She then turned arcing towards us, full tilt, and with her neck starting to stretch way out, like she was trying to reach for somewhere that her body just wasn't going to let her go.

She turned full circle and ended up back near where she was hit, stopped, leaned starboard for a second, then tipped over with a leg twitch or two.

Double Lung Soup, via 30-06.......

I notched my tag, we waited until last legal light to give him a shot if it presented, then drove out there to get her. We loaded it up to field dress it down by the road at the gate...my buddy won't gut 'em where we shoot 'em at. Convinced it messes up his next day's shooting. Just pick 'em up and leave, his policy.

Good thing I notched my tag like I'm supposed to because the Game Warden stopped by to check us out as we were guttin' her in the headlights. After the obligatory license/weapon/hunting permission check he asked me a favor and I ended up donating the head, as he needed one more sample for this county, for a statewide CWD study.

A good day yesterday, all around. Karma I figure, repaid for letting those 4 go undisturbed that morning, and, a worthy contribution to game management research made, to boot. Lot's of cool memories this Season, for recall later......

600yards.jpg