• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Multiple suppressor waits

Casey_H

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2019
    San Marcos TX
    Silly question for y'all. So I'm looking to purchase my first suppressor, gonna be a Thunder Beast for 22lr. After I go through the wait time and buy the tax stamp for the first one, is the wait time still applicable for every suppressor I order after that?

Basically, is the wait time for the suppressor itself or for the tax stamp? Once I have the tax stamp does that allow me to purchase another suppressor and pick it up once the order comes in?

The wait is for the stamp if you buy an in stock suppressor. If you order directly from TBAC you'll have to wait on the can too. You'll have to submit a form 4 for any other purchases and wait again.

Yea, you have to buy a new stamp for every can you get, and wait for each stamp. The dealer will hold the can for you until stamp is approved.

Can't buy the stamp to start the process until your dealer has the can physically in hand, so like onebravo said, if you order from TBAC if they have the can in stock they will get it sent to your dealer, once your dealer has it in hand you can buy the stamp and the wait will start.

If TBAC doesn't have it in stock you will have to wait for it to be manufactured then sent to dealer then you can buy stamp and wait will start.

You must wait, every time.

Yep, assuming you buy a can in stock, you submit your Form 4 stamp and $200 dollar check immediately. Your check is cashed, usually within a few weeks. Your Form 4 sits at the ATF until your examiner works through all the forms assigned to them that were submitted before yours, then they start on yours, submit you to the FBI for a basic background check, then if you're immediately cleared, process your form in a few days. The vast majority of the wait time passes as you are waiting for the examiner to process all the forms ahead of you, thus, every time you submit a form, you have to wait for the folks ahead of you at that time to get processed first. There's nothing special or particularly time consuming going on, the ATF is not funded and manned to the levels required to process all the forms submitted in a reasonable time, so you wait until they work down to where your form is in the stack... every time you submit a new form. Congressional mismanagement at work.

~ One exception that seems to be in effect now is that if you submit a bunch of forms, even if they are over a few months, you may wind up having all of them processed at the same time on the same background check. It's not just 2-3 forms that will trigger batch processing though, the magic number of forms appears to be ~9 or more.

Last edited:
    Reactions: spife7980
    Yep, assuming you buy a can in stock, you submit your Form 4 stamp and $200 dollar check immediately. Your check is cashed, usually within a few weeks. Your Form 4 sits at the ATF until your examiner works through all the forms assigned to them that were submitted before yours, then they start on yours, submit you to the FBI for a basic background check, then if you're immediately cleared, process your form in a few days. The vast majority of the wait time passes as you are waiting for the examiner to process all the forms ahead of you, thus, every time you submit a form, you have to wait for the folks ahead of you at that time to get processed first. There's nothing special or particularly time consuming going on, the ATF is not funded and manned to the levels required to process all the forms submitted in a reasonable time, so you wait until they work down to where your form is in the stack... every time you submit a new form. Congressional mismanagement at work.

~ One exception that seems to be in effect now is that if you submit a bunch of forms, even if they are over a few months, you may wind up having all of them processed at the same time on the same background check. It's not just 2-3 forms that will trigger batch processing though, the magic number of forms appears to be ~9 or more.

Wish I would have known this. I had 4 (5 if you count the free can I am supposed to get) and would have worked toward that magic number if I knew the later orders would get processed with the first.

Reactions: chiroz
    It took 6 weeks to get a CCP, and I'm in my 9th Month of waiting for My Tax Stamp. Fortunately, one CAN will work for all the rifles I intend to suppress. I hate having cash tied up like that, so my desire for a 22 caliber CAN died. Fortunately, I purchased from a dealer who owns a range, and the CAN was in stock. Paperwork was sent two days after the purchase. I get to use it weekly to check out my subsonic load development. I call it my conjugal visit. I don't have the patience to let that much money sit in another mans safe again.

Reactions: Casey_H