• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multitool for a Boy Scout

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
A friend of mine's son is crossing over to the Boy Scouts later this month. I thought a multitool would be a nice present for him.

Which model would you recommend for a Scout?

Thanks much,

CT

Re: Multitool for a Boy Scout

I'd personally recommend the SOG Paratool, or the SOG powerlock. Both of them are built like tanks and very functional. I've broken a number of leatherman, gerbers, etc... I haven't broken the SOGs yet (they've really held up to some serious beatings).

--Wintermute

I have one of the original Gerber Multipliers that is still going strong. It survived a long time in the corps and still rides in my patrol bag.

However the new Leatherman tools look like great kit. I have a MUT sitting here waiting on me. If the kid is into guns, it might be a neat option. The pliers, blades and screwdrivers are not gun specific.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of the original Gerber Multipliers that is still going strong. It survived a long time in the corps and still rides in my patrol bag.

However the new Leatherman tools look like great kit. I have a MUT sitting here waiting on me. If the kid is into guns, it might be a neat option. The pliers, blades and screwdrivers are not gun specific.

</div></div>

Hurry up on that review already so I can decide whether it's worth the $$$ lol...

I have carried the leatherman super tool for years. I have used it for hunting, fishing, and working on large equipment. It has saved the day more times than I can remember.

I just ordered a SOG myself. I went with the EOD with v-cutter and am changing out some parts for a wire stripper for electrical work.

There are some good options with SOG for more outdoors work and you can always pick up some accessory tools to change out.

I'll post up if I have any problems. As an aside, SOG is still doing a military discount and I think this extends to retired as well as active duty - call 'em up to be sure.

Gerber Clutch. It is multi-functional,not too aggressive and cheap. Anything more than that, his own dad needs to get it for him.

Don't the Scouts have special rules for carrying knives? If so, you may want to check what they are to see if he'd even be allowed to have a multitool with him doing Scout-type stuff...

I'm an Eagle Scout and an active Assistant Scoutmaster. In my experience: Multitools are ALLOWED, fixed blades are not (even tho I have a BSA stamped fixed blade in the desk). I'm not sure if these are BSA rules or just troop policy but it's what I stick to.
Now, the recommendations. Stick to the name brands like Gerber and Leatherman. I like the Leathermans (sentimental because that is what my father gave me) but I know the Gerbers hold their own. I would recommend something along the lines of the Leatherman: Blast, Wave, Skeletool, or Sidekick (or similar Gerber models). The most used tools are the pliers, the knife, the scissors, and the flathead. These models are more than adequate for 99% of the tasks a scout will encounter and will not put a huge dent in your wallet if they are lost. Being prepared is more about being resourceful than being overly equipped. Hope this helps.

Leatherman Wave. Simple, strong, pretty much everything you might need, can add a clip, lanyard loop, etc.

I'm gonna have to go w/ the boss on this one.. I never had the need for a multitool. Not even one of those fancy swiss army knives with all the doodads. I used a blade and maybe a can opener and that was about it.

I have a preference for Leatherman tools since my first PST, I've got about five of them and they're everywhere. I use a Leatherman Wave pretty much daily at work and the MUT goes with me to the range all the time. They've been very dependable tools that stand up to abuse and are backed by a pretty solid warranty IMO. I had a 1st-gen Leatherman Wave that was purchased in 1997 or 98 and ended up breaking one of the blades off about ten years later. I figured what the hell I'll see what they say so I sent it back to them with a note explaining everything. About a week later I had a package in the mail from Leatherman, a brand new Wave...no questions asked.

Blade locks are a consideration or some non-bloodly learned familiarly is required with blade. No matter what the experimental utility, having an innocent tool or pocket-folder blade collapse on pointer finger isn’t pretty. I assume we have all been there, I have a few times and seen it many. I rather pass this misfortune along as benefit and prevent it at experimental age. Give a boy anything cool and if they are not constantly fucking with it on thier own, they are in the wrong situation.

have you thought about giving a single blade knife with his initials engraving with date on it I have three that I love and I now can look back and remember the good old time I had in scouts

There is one knife that Victorinox used to make for the BSA which was a 2 blades, 1 small, 1 large with a can opener/flat blade.

Very basic knife but I used it all the time and wish I still had it (stolen from my desk by a druggie roommate in college).

It went everywhere with me in scouts, whether I had my totin' chit or not. I was never in the woods without a knife.

The multitools are nice and you got some great advice on them, but I think that they're a bit much especially for a young scout. He's also not going to be allowed to carry it with him unless he already got a totin' chit when he was a Weblo I/II.

Be sure to encourage him, coming from another Eagle, there are times when quitting is easy and the biggest annoyance that I had when finishing up my Eagle was what I thought to be mountains of paperwork.

It's one of the accomplishments that I'm most proud of, I'm part of the 2% who finish Eagle. My brother barely finished his but when he did it was a great experience reading him the Eagle Charge at his Court of Honor. My dad quit when he was 2 merit badges shy and he has always regretted it.

Welcome him forward for the rest of us.

I'd suggest a basic leatherman for a youth. I've had many, I've lost most before any issues surfaced, have broken some blades, knives aren't prybars but you use what you've got. The Juice C2 and S2 look like good models for a youth, maybe the Blast or Sidekick in a fullsize. Remember these thing get out of control, kids know stupid big and heavy better than adults and won't pack what meets that standard long or often. I like the discontinued PST, just the basics, compact and relatively light.

As an aside, I have a MUT, nice tool, fairly self explainatory from the description online, probably should've gotten the EOD model with wiring tools. I take it to the range, its accompanied me on a few short treks in the woods. If I was packing allot of gear I don't know that it's make the cut, its awful heavy for what it is.

I have a Gerber Diesel, and a MUT. I love them both, for different reasons. The Diesel is as solid as they come, and it would have almost all the tools a scout would need

Give the little man something you can attach a lanyard to, and has a belt sheath.. That'll be important when he's out bush.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leatherman Wave. Simple, strong, pretty much everything you might need, can add a clip, lanyard loop, etc. </div></div>

+1, unless you're a big spender, then I'd go with the Charge.

I have used and owned various multitools from both Gerber and Leatherman over the years. The Leatherman Wave is by far my favorite. I like being able to use the blades without having to completely open the tool. It has a good combination of tools for general use without wasting space for tools that are so specialized that they rarely, if ever get used.

After owning several Leathermans and Gerbers over the years, I recently bought a Victorinox Spirit and it has become my favorite.

Gerber Suspension is a good tool, I've had mine for about 5 years and has never let me down. I like the fact that its spring loaded for staying open which aids in one handed operation greatly in tight spaces. Comes with a few driver bits as well that has its own carry slot inside the nylon pouch it comes with. As an Eagle Scout I give it my seal of approval.

Gerber-suspension__65729_zoom.jpg

the one that gathert pick would work perfect.
i was an eagle scout you need to make sure the blade is smaller then his palm (bsa rules).

also they can't care it till they earn there totin chip. the earn it 8 to 12 months after they cross over. he will get the knife taken away if he has a knife before he earns the totin chip.

i wouldn't get him a fancy knife right now his first, second, and third will be lost ruined and destroyed trust me. wait till he is 15/16 till you get him a nice knife.

chances are he will drop out in the first year its the most boring year of scouting after that the adults turn you loose unless the troop is focused on making every kid an eagle scout. those are the worst troops. they do have a high amount of eagle scout but the kids are usually forced to go and hate it. also avoid urban scouts at all cost. sadly scouting isn't the same it used to be.

The toughest and most usefull multi tool for the money is the Super tool from Leatherman.

It is not the lightest but it is the toughest and at a price point that you would not mind to use hard.

The Gerber multi tools uses softer steel and I have broken a couple of them when under stress....