• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Murphy's law and the safety

Andrew Blubaugh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2003
Ohio
The other day while doing some range work with a new law enforcement officer on the AR15 I observed this between drills....

The weapon was empty and slung. We were discussing the next drill when I observed the officer's car keys inside the trigger guard. We double checked the chamber to ensure it was empty and placed the weapon on fire. I slowly lifted the keys and the hammer dropped. We set this exact situation up several more times and tried a several common movements such as; getting in and out of vehicles, climbing into and out of the back of a pick up and some weapons retention/DT situations. Out of the 20 different scenarios the hammer dropped 6 times.

This was a great learning point for all those involved. Equipment has a way of getting in places it shouldn't. I see an all too common practice from people taking the weapon off safe for extended periods of time in the name of speed. My "motor program" is the safety selector goes to fire after the shooter has identified the threat/target and is in the process of presenting the weapon system to the threat/target. When the shooter no longer has a threat or target they plan to engage the shooter can lower the weapon system and place the weapon on safe. It is such a simple procedure but shooters skip it all the time. In some instances they simply forget, in others, they choose to keep the weapon on fire so they "can be faster". Speed comes if you practice to be fast. Mistakes happen by cutting corners.

Paul Howe at CSAT has a great article on the use of the safety. I highly recommend it....
http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/published/the_weapon_safety.PDF

Great post, and nice catch. You can never be too safe when dealing with firearms.

Good eye sir. The little things make so much difference in most cases. This could be the difference between an easy safe day and an officer getting a trip to the ER and somebody having some esplainin to do!

We had one, luckily nobody got hurt. Safety was on but got bumped off on gear. Try to stress a handhold while loaded with thumb on underside until in a ready, then on top. I prefer a strong spring and good detent tip for a stronger engagement.