• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Must a rifle have a safety in order to compete?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Not looking for an ethics debate here...

From a rules/requirements standpoint, must a rifle have a safety in order to use it in PRS or NRL matches?

I wasn’t able to find any mention of a safety being a requirement in the PRS rules.

1.3 Safety SOP for the Conduct of a COF The following rules apply to shooters who are actively participating in a COF. 1.3.1 ECI’s will remain in the rifle until the RO gives the command of “Load and make ready.” 1.3.2 If there is no movement involved to the first firing point, upon MD’s stage design and discretion, rifles may be in a “Hot” status meaning a round in the chamber, magazine inserted, bolt closed, and weapon on “Safe”.

i'd say if you didn't have a safety you'd prob be ok starting with the bolt all the way back but you'd have to ask the match director at each match.

Typical match safe condition is mag out, bolt back, flag in chamber. Honestly, I think that three levels of condition safe are adequate.

Typical stage starting position is port arms, ready status with mag in, bolt back and flag out of chamber. Some stages vary.

Reactions: Jimgal62
There’s a handful (actually less) of matches I’ve heard of that actually require a safety on bolt rifle. Semi is absolutely required as most places you’re moving with a hot rifle (topic for another time).

So, I’d personally encourage one. But with the way things are currently run, a safety is hardly ever used (again, that’s a whole other conversation).

Reactions: lash
It’s probably a good thing to have but I don’t think the safety has been engaged on any of my PRS rifles in 3 years. My son has accidentally bumped his and cost him 15 seconds on a stage. Chamber open ECI in always down range

Have shot a bunch of matches over the years including the past few years that you needed a safety. All my rifles have them. Most all triggers used in matches come with them so why wouldn't it be there?

Competition Dynamics matches require a safety, and have a pre-match tech inspection to make sure it works. I’ve never been tech-inspected at a PRS match.

drop test? They take your rifle and throw it on the ground?

The likely just have you drop it a foot or straight down on the butt pad. Though a practical rifle should handle a decent drop on its side without any negative effects.

I’m fine with that. First off, I don’t set my trigger less than a pound and secondly, I drop test mine periodically anyway. I do have a safety, I’ve just never had anyone check for it yet.

Last edited:
Action cocked, safety on and drop on buttpad from 12"+.
If it fails you need to resolve or you don't shoot the match.
Stinky Stan gets a little carried away doing it too...

Man, I wanted to cry the first time I watched him drop my rifle.

• Haha
Reactions: delfuego