• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle blast in a 20" - 260 vs 6.5x47, anyone?

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
Has Anyone shot them side by side or owned both in short bbls? Noticeable decrease in the 47...or not?

Haven't shot them side-by-side, but my 20" 260 isn't as bad to me as a 16" 5.56 AR.

My 20" .260 has no muzzle blast...

rc65is.jpg

Cannot suppress for hunting in my state...thanks. Have shot the 260 in 22.6" .....figure the 20 should be louder, and the 47 less due to smaller charge.

Making final selection of the two, though a CM has not been ruled out. Thanks guys and anyone else who wants to chime in.

The difference in powder capacity is so low that I don't think you would be able to measure a difference in sound with a proper meter much less your ear. Shortening the barrel by 2" may or may not make much difference either. If you're trying to decide between the 2 cals by sound I don't think it will be an easy decision....they won't be much different.

Frank

I have a 21" 6.5x47 and she kicks, even with the 107gr bullets, compared to the 26" barrels that I am used to. Rifle and attached kit weigh in at 13lbs. I attached a Mini-Muscle brake (from Bugholes.com) and that did the job of taming it very nicely. I agree with Biffj - you will not notice any difference between the three cartridges at 20-22", at least any differences that will actually matter to you.

My 21" 6.5x47 moves a 130gr bullet at 2800fps, is a joy to shot with the brake and its light weight/slime profile.

best of luck w/ your build.

Frank, lower decibels is always nice to my tinnitus, have had a desire to build a 47 since intro'd at the Shot show years back....I may be wrong, but my Creedmoor seems tame in a 24" sporter, it might have a tad less bark than the 260s I have run, just none side by side to compare right now. Blast is one deciding variable, certainly do not like magnums, recall a Mohawk 308 years back being pretty loud. If our state gets ok for hunting, I might invest in a suppressor down the road. Thanks all.