• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle blast on the short 6.5x47, Creedmoor, and 260's??

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Thinking about doing a short 6.5x47, 260, or Creedmoor. Like 16-18".

How is the muzzle blast and loudness? Probably be used by my son too in the next few years.

Maybe do a suppressor someday but don't have one now.

I'm running a 16.5" 6.5x47L with a badger thruster brake. VERY loud with a good deal of concussion and blast, but is a hoot to shoot! I am building all my rifles with short BBL's from now on.

I run a 20" 6.5x47 with a brake or CAN
With the CAN and full loads its more like a 22, sound wise you can shoot without Eps

The brake is not that bad to me thou others complain

123 @ 3000fps +

Went to short barrel in 08, they rock if done right

I run a 20" 6.5x47 with a brake or CAN
With the CAN and full loads its more like a 22, sound wise you can shoot without Eps

The brake is not that bad to me thou others complain

123 @ 3000fps +

Went to short barrel in 08, they rock if done right

What do you mean done right? That is awesome! I so wish the 6.5x47 was cheaper to reload for!

21" 6.5x47L here shooting a pointed 107gr SMK at ~3000fps. Rifle weight (important for felt recoil) 13lbs. No brake, no can.

Recoil feels like my bigger heavier 26" 6.5x47L (16lbs) shooting the heavier 130gr bullet at 2925fps, which is very manageable and easy to stay on 300+yd targets (will not stay on at 100-200). Muzzle blast isn't bad (use a fast powder that will burn itself in the barrel) nor is noise level. I don't think, for most shooters and with the correct powder, recoil, muzzle blast or noise is a major concern for the medium 6.5mm cartridges with a 20"-22" barrel. They might be with less than 20" barrels, I just don't have any experience there.

Why do you think the 6.5x47 is expensive to load for? The brass lasts a LONG LONG time, longer than your barrel, so as long as you keep the pieces, its not expensive. I guess if you shoot the "lose your brass matches", it is expensive.

Here's my 18" 6.5x47L that I done for hunting. Not horribly loud if hunting with 1 shot. I'm running mine with the can exclusively.

c3469fef-b1eb-4bfa-aeef-f05eaab5a18a_zps1b0dee90.jpg

KPK, not had a chance to run it over a chrono yet but going from my drop charts I'm getting 2900fps with 123 A-max's, but I'm running a custom chamber built for them.

Should have a chrono within the month and will confirm FPS.

21" 6.5x47L here shooting a pointed 107gr SMK at ~3000fps. Rifle weight (important for felt recoil) 13lbs. No brake, no can.

Recoil feels like my bigger heavier 26" 6.5x47L (16lbs) shooting the heavier 130gr bullet at 2925fps, which is very manageable and easy to stay on 300+yd targets (will not stay on at 100-200). Muzzle blast isn't bad (use a fast powder that will burn itself in the barrel) nor is noise level. I don't think, for most shooters and with the correct powder, recoil, muzzle blast or noise is a major concern for the medium 6.5mm cartridges with a 20"-22" barrel. They might be with less than 20" barrels, I just don't have any experience there.

Why do you think the 6.5x47 is expensive to load for? The brass lasts a LONG LONG time, longer than your barrel, so as long as you keep the pieces, its not expensive. I guess if you shoot the "lose your brass matches", it is expensive.

I know the brass lasts a long time, it is just the initial 1st purchase that would hurt in my opinion. But I am extremely cheap! I'd prolly end up saving money verses buying new brass for other calibers correct?

I have a Savage Striker .260 with a 14" barrel - it's pretty damn loud. It's getting re-barreled right now - 16" and threaded so I can run a can on it.

If ya want to save a lil coin on brass then run a 6.5XC
only diff large primer vs small
pert much identical case cap