• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake 101?

Snip-er

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
So still learning as I am getting into long range shooting. Just bought my Savage Stealth in 308. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a muzzle brake on your rifle. What exactly is it's job? It seems that they are louder with them on than not having one on. Is this the case? Also, whats the difference exactly between a $100-150 muzzle brake and a muzzle brake you buy on Ebay for $30. Just trying to understand the whole thing on what exactly a muzzle brake is for and if I really need to put one on my rifle. Thanks for your help and time.

Muzzle brakes will help reduce the felt recoil by pushing the gasses to the side instead of no muzzle brake which will push all the gasses straight forward and will cause for more recoil coming back at the shooter. The main advantage is being able to stay on target more easily after a shot and not having the recoil completing mess up your sight picture. It’s not foolproof though. You still need to have good recoil management practices in place regardless. The disadvantages is that it will throw a ton of gass to the side and most people at the range will complain about this and the additional noise when shooting next to you. It is also a nightmare to shoot in a small space (a concrete tube in PRS etc) since the gasses will blow right back at you after hitting off the walls and the sound will be greatly amplified. Most good muzzle brakes seems to be around the $100 range and you are paying for the machining tolerances and research to design it. The $30 EBay ones may be similar in design since they are probbaly copies but the tolerances may be lacking.

Muzzle brakes will help reduce the felt recoil by pushing the gasses to the side instead of no muzzle brake which will push all the gasses straight forward and will cause for more recoil coming back at the shooter. The main advantage is being able to stay on target more easily after a shot and not having the recoil completing mess up your sight picture. It’s not foolproof though. You still need to have good recoil management practices in place regardless. The disadvantages is that it will throw a ton of gass to the side and most people at the range will complain about this and the additional noise when shooting next to you. It is also a nightmare to shoot in a small space (a concrete tube in PRS etc) since the gasses will blow right back at you after hitting off the walls and the sound will be greatly amplified. Most good muzzle brakes seems to be around the $100 range and you are paying for the machining tolerances and research to design it. The $30 EBay ones may be similar in design since they are probbaly copies but the tolerances may be lacking.

Thanks Sogan, thats the info i was looking for. appreciate it.

my Stealth has a 5/8x24 threaded barrel. will any 5/8x24 work or does it have to be specific to my caliber?

Thanks Sogan, thats the info i was looking for. appreciate it.

my Stealth has a 5/8x24 threaded barrel. will any 5/8x24 work or does it have to be specific to my caliber?

Typically a 5/8x24 is on a 30 caliber or larger, but just make sure you buy one for a 30 caliber.

So still learning as I am getting into long range shooting. Just bought my Savage Stealth in 308. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a muzzle brake on your rifle. What exactly is it's job? It seems that they are louder with them on than not having one on. Is this the case? Also, whats the difference exactly between a $100-150 muzzle brake and a muzzle brake you buy on Ebay for $30. Just trying to understand the whole thing on what exactly a muzzle brake is for and if I really need to put one on my rifle. Thanks for your help and time.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...odelta-brake-30-caliber.6870538/#post-6890532