• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake finish question?

demofficer1988

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Cleveland, TN
I am a new member to the forum but have been checking this place out for a while my info together for my first bolt action build and finally picked up a 700 AAC-SD .308. I was originally looking at the JP Bennie Cooley Brake because I want one that tapers downs to match the outside diameter of my barrel without me having to have that done when I get a brake and also there great brakes but I found a lot of great things about the Ross Schuler brake and was strongly considering getting one of these because is does the same thing. However, the only thing that is holding me back is that it only comes in stainless finish and I want my brake to be black and match my barrel. So, who here has either painted or had the Ross brake coated somehow? What did you use to do it? Also how has it held up? I don't want to paint or coat it and it flake or chip off after shooting. I know there are plenty of high temp paints but didn't know what would hold up to all the pressure and gas coming out of the end of the barrel, what is normally used on brakes. If there is a solid way to have this done please let me know. I know I would need to sand it and everything to rough it up before applying but what to use is the question? Thanks guys.

Good question. I used Brownells Alumahide after prepping a Schuler brake with 220 wet and dry and alcohol. After a couple hundred rds. it started to peel around the ports. I'm interested in the replies to follow.

I have a PWS PRC my 700 AAC. It looks good and works great. Also, the finish is pretty close to the color of the barrel.

I used krylon flat camo on my Ross Schuler brake, never blasted off. It did wear at the very edge of the muzzle from putting the rifle in a soft case, but never around the ports. Nothing a few more shots of paint cant handle. The heat really cures that paint pretty good.

I did not know if cerakote would hold up on it after a lot of rounds that was my first thought and I also though about using a krylon or vht high temp paint but figured it might chip