• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Muzzle brake/flash hider effect on suppressor

ScarlettRed

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2017
Colorado
Anyone know what effect muzzle brakes and flash hiders have when used with you suppressor? I may be forced to go from a brake to a flash hider as my TBAC ultra 7 continually locks on my brake and ends up twisting my brake off the barrel. I've been lucky so far and somehow it releases just in time although my 30 BA is still unusable as the brake is stuck in it. The flash hiders have a hex head at their base so you can at least wrench it. I use red locktite on the barrel threads. I'm not sure how much performance will be affected by changing as its inside the suppressor. I wish TBAC would leave a hex shoulder on their brakes as this problem is getting old.

Hi,

It really shouldn't come off using high temp permanent loctite on clean surfaces. Periodically use a stiff bristle brush to clean off the outside of the brake, and periodically clean the suppressor. We might be able to recommend a better loctite product.

If it gets stuck even with that regime, let us take a look at it, there could be some damage to threads somewhere.

We can also un-stick your 30BA.

The brake doesn't have any flats on the back in order to reduce added OAL to basically none (just the peel washer thickness). The flash hider has flats because structurally the shoulder cannot go back as far due to the tines.

I'll have to think about that. The problem may be that I hesitate to really crank down on my brakes when I tighten them because its hard to get perfect timing with shims/peals. Flash hinders don't care so much about timing. I always leave thinking I could have made them just a tad tighter, but then they would be out of time. Maybe I'm relying too much on locktite?

Do you ever shoot that rifle unsuppressed? If so, why? Lock that brake or flash hider on and don't worry about timing. Nobody will see it inside the suppressor.

I didn't know if the brake still may have any effect even though its inside the suppressor. I actually rarely shoot unsuppressed unless I'm trying out a suspect load or something. I just like the peace of mind that there is something on your threaded muzzle just in case you can't use your can.

I have a Silencerco Omega. I have used it direct thread (no brake) and with the Silencerco ASR brake and quick disconnect AST mount. Recoil is slightly less with the ASR brake, but not by much.

You might want to consider an Area 419 Hellfire brake. It is self timing. The brake has an adaptor that screws onto the barrel, and the brake screws on to the adaptor. They also make an adaptor that screws into your suppressor, then your suppressor screws onto an adaptor on the end of the barrel. It is pretty easy to switch from the brake to the suppressor. If I am zeroed for the brake, my point of impact does not change when I remove the brake then reinstall the brake. If I am zeroed for the suppressor my point of impact does not change when I remove and reinstall the suppressor. The point of impact with the brake and suppressor are not the same.

I have one of these on my match rifle. I have been shooting with just the brake this year, but it is pretty easy to pull the brake off and use my can if I want.

http://www.area419.com/

That is a really interesting concept. Any increase in weight? You have to be aware of caliber size so you don't put a 223 on a 6mm+. That would be really convenient.

That is a really interesting concept. Any increase in weight? You have to be aware of caliber size so you don't put a 223 on a 6mm+. That would be really convenient.

The weight is not really any different than running a brake and quick change adaptor designed by your suppressor manufacturer. I have a 30 cal suppressor and use it on my .308, .300 blk, .260, and .223. It works just fine on all of them. Just can't use a smaller caliber suppressor on a larger caliber gun. Well, I guess you could for one shot!