• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Muzzle brake for 0.338 Lapua Magnum

gol1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
ISRAEL
Looking for recomendations on a muzzle brake for my 0.338 LM
I need something that will not make too much noise and not blind night vision sights and still be effective.
Thanks
Gol

Re: Muzzle brake for 0.338 Lapua Magnum

Muzzle brakes make the rifle louder, what you need would be a can.

Look at the brake that PGWDTI make. The flash is at the side and not up or down.

This is my PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM.

HPIM1296.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toygunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surefire!!! </div></div>
Surefire is a good one. I've used it a lot for the 338.

ftebrake002.jpg

Badger's FTE is what I run on my .338LM...resembles the Timberwolf design as it diverts the blast sideways and not down. Not pretty but very effective...

There was an article somewhere (can't remember) that tested quite a few brakes, Sako, AR-30, Vias, and a few others. The test rifle was a .338LM, and I think an AR-30. They did have threaded adapters made, to cover the different sizes, and had some kind of electronic thingy mouted on the stock top measure recoil? I do recall, that the AR-30 brake came out on top. It's big, and ugly, but maybe that's it works so well.

R.

Badger FTE rocks! Outstanding recoil reduction

i have a modified badger im useing on my 338 and 6.5 06 and 7mm i like the design and its very effective has three ports on top center with side slots all pushing up and away seems the is no muzzle ground signature when fired from the prone position and recoil is reduced greatly
DSCN0104.jpg

+1 on the AR-30 brake. If you don't want a can, it is the best for recoil reduction. But it is big and ugly as fuck.

Thanks for all the information, after I did some checks I found out that it will be impossible to import a muzzle brake from the US or Europe for an Israeli citizen every body told me to just forget it.
So I decided to build one of my own my initial plan is to make one on a Lathe and CNC machine with 3 ports which go 30 degrees up and 45 degrees back the external diameter will be 40 mm and total length of 80-100 mm I already bought a piece of 4340 steel and I will upload pictures of the process of making it and final results.
if someone can give me some input regarding my design I will really appreciate it

Thanks
Gol1

Forgot to add that the brake on the Timberwolf is similar to an FN FAL.