• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake for .223 or go "naked"?

A braked rifle will stay on target better than either a bare or suppressed rifle. A suppressed rifle will be more pleasant to shoot than either. A braked rifle has an advantage over both in comps that put emphasis on spotting your own impacts in compromised positions. A suppressed rifle is LOOONG, and kind of a pike to wield while navigating obstacles. Most comp shooters shoot braked rifles, though you do see the occasional suppressor. This is because they (braked rifles) stay on target better. It’s not even a discussion. Just an undeniable fact. Bare muzzles are almost unheard of. Flash hiders? GTFO with that. They have no civilian application outside of shooting under night vision. I would only consider a bare muzzle for a hunting rifle.

I have a couple of unthreaded rifles and I would rather they be threaded. I have chosen to attach muzzle brakes that double as suppressor mounts to my rifles. For a long barreled gun used in a squadded competition (NRL/PRS/etc), I would choose a brake. You’re already using ear pro, probably doubled up, and the extra length of a suppressor is a hindrance. I have chosen suppressor use for ‘run and gun’ events because they are not ‘squadded events,’ and I can reduce my level of ear pro when not shooting next to others. And, I can offset the length of the suppressor with a shorter barreled gun. I prefer a suppressed rifle for hunting from a blind, though a bare rifle is lighter and shorter for the hunter packing in and out.

Tony I agree. I have had a couple suppressors for about 15 years now and while cool and having tried them in matches they don’t go on my match rifles. Brakes are much more effective.

I still remember some folks rather stridently telling me in several threads that I didn't know what I was talking about and that a suppressor was just as good or better than a brake at reducing recoil on their rifles.

I still remember some folks rather stridently telling me in several threads that I didn't know what I was talking about and that a suppressor was just as good or better than a brake at reducing recoil on their rifles.

That's obviously a silly notion.

It obviously depends on what your objectives are. Muzzle brakes are better at recoil, but that doesn't come without a price. To some it's worth it, others, not so much.

Shooters in F-T/R shoot 223's with 30 inch barrels.

Yeah it tells you a lot about a poster when they post things they read on the internet but don’t know for fact. Anyone who thinks you lose velocity in a .223 with a 26” barrel needs to do some more research.

go naked , take it off and let that freak flag fly proud you nut bag lol .

That's obviously a silly notion.

It obviously depends on what your objectives are. Muzzle brakes are better at recoil, but that doesn't come without a price. To some it's worth it, others, not so much.
robert de niro suave as fuck. gif | WiffleGif

That price is more than I want to pay, Id rather enjoy my shooting.

Edit: that price Im not willing to pay is putting up with the muzzle brakes obnoxiousness, I dont care about the recoil negatives.

Last edited:
I like suppressors just for hearing retention... but at 26", if you don't have a can and don't care for one just leave it as is and save the $ for ammo and have fun shooting!

I'm not against brakes, but it's kind of like putting an expensive exhaust and header system on a Honda Civic... there are gains but...

Brake, suppressor is only fun if you’re going subsonic, a 223 meh

If I still have to wear ears, what’s the point, and I have good electric muffs, so if I’m wearing them I don’t care how loud it is anymore, 223 doesn’t recoil much, but with a brake it’s a laser gun.

Brake, suppressor is only fun if you’re going subsonic, a 223 meh

If I still have to wear ears, what’s the point, and I have good electric muffs, so if I’m wearing them I don’t care how loud it is anymore, 223 doesn’t recoil much, but with a brake it’s a laser gun.

I personally find a suppressor to be much, much more pleasant than a brake, even if I have to wear muffs.

I live in Australia and New Zealand ( up until Covid we split our time between the two countries, but we haven’t been back to New Zealand since it began ) I own Firearms and I’m licensed in both countries.
Suppressors are legal in New Zealand but banned in Australia.
My New Zealand rifles wear suppressors and I like them but they add bulk and weight.
My Australian rifles wear muzzle brakes and I like them but they are obviously louder.
I always wear hearing protection when shooting no matter what is screwed to the muzzle so the noise decrease of the suppressors is nice but not a deal breaker.
The only time I find the noise of the muzzle brake a problem is when I’m in the company of others . They tend to have a problem with it not me .
I only hunt alone and most of my target/ range time is also by myself at our property.
The actual recoil decrease of a muzzle brake is noticeable compared to a suppressor and to be honest in my personal situation I lean towards the muzzle brake as my preferred option.
I totally understand the move towards suppressors that is happening and if I hunted with others or used public ranges then my decision would be different.
The concussive effect of a muzzle brake on the shooter must be taken into account, but then again I’m not shooting for long periods of time and a session at targets at home is never more than 25 rounds .
If I was shooting a magnum at a comp where you are doing many rounds throughout a weekend I could see it detrimentally wearing on you .
Horses for Courses .

I personally find a suppressor to be much, much more pleasant than a brake, even if I have to wear muffs.

I have MSA muffs as well as some walker electric ear buds put into custom molds I had a hearing aid shop make for me, it really doesn’t make a notable difference between my braked 308 or JP braked 223 or my 22LR

I find that longer barrels ie 24” plus, with the right brake is not obnoxious at all. I’d much rather run a PVA brake that’s 90% effective as a Little Bastard and no concussion. Pleasant to shoot all day and no headache.

Reactions: Rob01
I find that longer barrels ie 24” plus, with the right brake is not obnoxious at all. I’d much rather run a PVA brake that’s 90% effective as a Little Bastard and no concussion. Pleasant to shoot all day and no headache.

No concussion? What’s the point in that? Next thing it’ll be flat women are better? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: RFutch
Suppressor all the time every match for me. I did a little home rang testing last week. I switched from brake to suppressor to nothing and back and forth testing felt recoil and impact shift. Much more felt recoil with nothing on the end of the barrel. Felt recoil with the brakes and suppressor was pretty similar. I was using a silencer tech single and double baffle. Not the quietest suppressors but the felt recoil impulse was impressive.

Last edited:
I cannot fathom the stunning recoil of a .22LR Centerfire Magnum, sometimes known as the .223 Remington.

The answer is to use a suppressor.

Wait... What was the question?

• Haha
Reactions: Longshot231
Key micro brake/mount. Its what i use for my 223 ai. Rarely shoot it without a can tho. Its nice to shoot 100 rounds in a day without ear pro

I would go with something like the Area 419 Hellfire system as stated above. Their brakes work great at reducing recoil and if you ever do decide on a suppressor they have suppressor mounts that will fit the majority of suppressors being made today. The self timing feature is nice as you need no tools to install or remove the brake once the universal adapter is torqued on.

This
I would go with something like the Area 419 Hellfire system as stated above. Their brakes work great at reducing recoil and if you ever do decide on a suppressor they have suppressor mounts that will fit the majority of suppressors being made today. The self timing feature is nice as you need no tools to install or remove the brake once the universal adapter is torqued on.
This right here. Shoot it without, then with a brake, then with a suppressor and choose which you like the best. Where I shoot, the brake guys have to go in the last relay with the magnums and every time I have tried this route someone always pulls the trigger just before I want to and the blast throws something off the bench so I went suppressed as well. Id shoot braked otherwise with my 26" .223

BTW thank you all for this thread. Sure needed a good laugh.. But I was really hoping the guy that said 26" slowed velocity would stick around and argue his case a little more. Sometime you guys need to set the hook and reel them in slower so we can all get some entertainment. When you go right for the kill it just ruins the fun. Big bullies :)

• Haha
Reactions: nrspence
when every you have the chance to traumatize the kids you almost have to go for it go naked , you don't need no stinking trousers .