• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake for .300 win mag help?

HarryBallz2029

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Houston Texas
Just wondering what a good option would be to go with for my R700 5R Milspec .300 WM 24" TB,in a AICS 2.0. What brake would you go with and what do I need to have done to make it work on my rifle(new to muzzle brakes). Thanks.

Re: Muzzle Brake for .300 win mag help?

APA Fat Bastard, or a soon to be released muzzle brake made by a fellow Texan. These are the most effective that I have ever tried. You'll have to have you barrel threaded and indexed (so when it threads all the way on it is oriented correctly) by a gunsmith. Actually, when the soon to be released brake comes out, it will have a crush washer like an AR, so you don't have to have it indexed. They both make a 300 Ultra mag like a 308 or less.

Badger's FTE is a good starting place. It's not open on the bottom so not much of a dust signature. The FTE is also not timed, so you can remove it easily for cleaning by loosening the one bolt clamp. I put one on my 8mm RM and it's now a dream to shoot. Muzzle needs to be threaded; they come in 5/8-24 and 3/4-?

Shooting with a brake on a crowded firing line is an experience you'll learn about as they direct the sound as well as the blast. One of my instructor's said that it's not only a recoil eliminator but a competitor eliminator as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA Fat Bastard, or a soon to be released muzzle brake made by a fellow Texan. These are the most effective that I have ever tried. You'll have to have you barrel threaded and indexed (so when it threads all the way on it is oriented correctly) by a gunsmith. Actually, when the soon to be released brake comes out, it will have a crush washer like an AR, so you don't have to have it indexed. They both make a 300 Ultra mag like a 308 or less.</div></div>

+1 for the fatbastard reducing recoil to less than 308. You'll piss off anyone to the side of you (oh-well).

i have the JP enterprises brake on my 338 lapua it really tames recoil compared to the factory radial brake and has far less dust signature. its 5/8-24.

guys thanks for all the input now I have some options to look at and a general direction. Thanks again.

Badger FTE works great and I believe was designed specifically for the .300WM.

I like the Badger thruster on my 300 WSM. It really took away from the recoil of the rifle. After I had it installed, while bore-sighting my scope, I watched the holes appear in my target at 25 yards. And it can be contoured to the profile of your barrel.

Straight Shot Gunsmithing produces some excellent muzzle brakes.

http://straightshotgunsmithing.com/

4brake.JPG

The JP Bennie Cooley Large brake is the way to go. I just put one on my 300, and WOW! Installation was a pita, shadetree gunsmith (me) installed it with a little bit of stainless shavings in the threads and it galled on... but I got a new crown out of it! Works great tho.

+1 for the APA Fatbastard. Awesome brake and works great! As metioned before it does reduce recoil to less than that of a 308.

I went with the APA Little Bastard on my Sendero, Works great, looks good too. Really minimizes recoil but it is loud ... an acceptable tradeoff IMO.

DSCN0794.jpg

Another for the Bastard product line. I was worried about the noise, with a set of the orange disposable ear plug and my normal ear muffs and all is fine. My 1st range trip I had a guy next to me shooting a AR10 and he wasn't bothered by the brake.

Just fine someone good to do the install.

The G.A.P titan is great. had them put it on a remington 5R 300 win mag and it's now a pussy cat.

I just had a Shrewd (i think thats spelled right) brake installed on my 300 XCR LRT, and damn if it didnt reduce recoil a ton, but at the same time, no one can shoot within a couple benches of me cause its loud as hell. The concussion it produces is impressive, but it allowed me to shoot my 300WM now a 100 times a day and no worry about it. Before, I couldnt shoot it 25times and i was flinching like crazy (and I dont flinch easily).

I bought an AAC BRAKE. IT SCREWS ON and works great. I had a HOLLAND brake put on another 300WM, WITH 26 inch barrel and I didn't like the concussion. Sometimes I think these devices work too well. The gun doesn't hit you but the concussion does. The AAC was a better balance for me.

Just ordered a fat bastard for my 300 sendero hope to tame down the 230gr load

Will post some results once its installed

Vais will make you a custom brake in no time. I have one threaded on my 300 win. Recoil is less than my 308. Really clean looks, no evidence that it is threaded on.

Here is the Allen Precision PainKiller in the large 5 port version. Going on a 338 build.

PainKiller.jpg

I have the APA LB on a .300 wm and .308 and it is amazing how little recoil both guns have with that brake.