• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake for 5.56 LWRC

stemikel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2020
I just purchased a LWRC m61c A5. I wanted to upgrade the flash suppressor to a high quality muzzle brake. LGS guy recommends Surefire Warmcomp and Warden. Any other suggestions? Not able to run suppressed where I live.

This is the third in the shootout series. There are a lot of other options not tested in the three videos. In the end, I went with a titanium unit from Hancock Armory. Haven't had a chance to see how well it works or how obnoxious it is.

Good luck finding a Warden in stock. ( Or pay at Surefire.com NOW to get one in black )
Seriously, they come in to stock and are gone fast.
Watch some videos on youtube about the Warden... be aware they work awesome at directing blast away from you and people beside you... but can be flashy at night... no matter what muzzle brake / flash suppressor you use.

Another possible "issue" is a change in the POI .

As for the Warcomp... if you want flash suppression buy one... flash suppression has its place on a combat oriented build, and is now taking over my shorter barrel muzzle device priority.
Between a comp and flash suppression , I would want flash suppression first and foremost ( on barrels under 16" )... then, as a bonus any comp properties.

Last edited:
I saw some of the videos that show the Warden changing POI. I thought that this would also decrease visible signature. Am I wrong?

I saw some of the videos that show the Warden changing POI. I thought that this would also decrease visible signature. Am I wrong?
The Warden's main / primary function is to direct blast forward. ... and away from you and others by your sides. ( Think close quarters / vehicle interiors )

You will need a quality Flash Hider to control ( without the Warden installed ) muzzle flash.
The Warden will "amplify" muzzle signature in many videos I have seen. ( Still waiting to fire mine at night. )

As far a s POI change... you will see some, anytime you add weight to the end of a barrel. be it a .. suppressor, Warden, different muzzle device, etc... ( changes barrel harmonics ) ... but, IMHO the Warden isn't intended for long range precision shooting use.... again, it is meant for up close shooting"
And even if you wanted to use it for LRPS... you'd just account for the changes.
That said... the Warden is a snug fitting device, and that is important to precision ( accuracy ).

The Gen I Lantac BMD's I bought were a loose/ sloppy fit... and my precision with it installed was dismal from known accurate barrels.
Those Lantac Gen I BMD's have since been regulated to close quarter firearms... where long range shooting is not a priority.

The Wardens attached fit is far, far better then the Lantac BMD Gen I ( FWIW, I have a Gen II Lantac BMD on order... and it appears to be a far better connection design...still using the many BMD collars I have installed.... we will see. )

FWIW, I also have the Griffin Armament QD Blast Shield ( Gen 2 ) in use... those will fit a lot of other muzzle devices. BUT... not all , so you would need to try them on a specific muzzle device prior to use to assure proper complete lock up. ( Complicated matter , I have another write up else where. )

And am also trying the Ferfrans 308 device.

Last edited:
The Warden's main / primary function is to direct blast forward. ... and away from you and others by your sides. ( Think close quarters / vehicle interiors )

You will need a quality Flash Hider to control ( without the Warden installed ) muzzle flash.
The Warden will "amplify" muzzle signature in many videos I have seen. ( Still waiting to fire mine at night. )

As far a s POI change... you will see some, anytime you add weight to the end of a barrel. be it a .. suppressor, Warden, different muzzle device, etc... ( changes barrel harmonics ) ... but, IMHO the Warden isn't intended for long range precision shooting use.... again, it is meant for up close shooting"
And even if you wanted to use it for LRPS... you'd just account for the changes.
That said... the Warden is a snug fitting device, and that is important to precision ( accuracy ).

The Gen I Lantac BMD's I bought were a loose/ sloppy fit... and my precision with it installed was dismal from known accurate barrels.
Those Lantac Gen I BMD's have since been regulated to close quarter firearms... where long range shooting is not a priority.

The Wardens attached fit is far, far better then the Lantac BMD Gen I ( FWIW, I have a Gen II Lantac BMD on order... and it appears to be a far better connection design...still using the many BMD collars I have installed.... we will see. )

FWIW, I also have the Griffin Armament QD Blast Shield ( Gen 2 ) in use... those will fit a lot of other muzzle devices. BUT... not all , so you would need to try them on a specific muzzle device prior to use to assure proper complete lock up. ( Complicated matter , I have another write up else where. )

And am also trying the Ferfrans 308 device.

Thanks for the links. I did see the one with Chris Cheng. But I did not see the one with the 7.62. I ordered a Warcomp. I will have to think throught the Warden.. Can you give us an update as you fire her in the dark? Thanks, in advance.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Get a surefire brake. Not the warcomp. Then you can just put on a warden if you are at the range and don't want to bust eardrums. Was never a fan of the warcomp as it does not compensate the way a brake does. This is just my opinion. But you are definitely right with surefire.