• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake for the wife's rifle

cfiore99

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
Colorado
So my wife loves shooting so it was a great opportunity for me to get "my own" new AR. Anyway, she doesn't mind the recoil too much, but would like to try a muzzle brake for reduced muzzle rise and reduced recoil. I am not sure which to get for her. I was thinking about this one: Muzzle brake Anyone have any experience with them? Good or bad? I have read the Surfires are nice and work well as well. Thanks for any advice or input.

Re: Muzzle Brake for the wife's rifle

I have a Michlick (sp) and a JP both are good brakes. I also like the lookes of the MSTN and wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Look at the BCE and Spike's DynaComp devices. Only a slight brake pulse, very tolerable to shooters on a line. I think BCM has a new one out, too, but I don't know what its impulse is like.

I hate people with competition brakes who think they should be able to run on the same line as everyone else. No, they belong several spaces down. I might just get a braked SBR to pull out when they sidle up next to me.

Love my surefire brake don't have an experience on any other brakes. It's a little loud but not bad.

I have PWS, Surefire and OPs Inc. I like the Surefire best for rise control, but it is loud if you are next to it.

i have the JP, and rainier. the rainier does a good job for sure, hard to beat the price.

I love my ARP MCD! Recoil & muzzle jump reduction. Also closed in, to prevent snagging. 'H'makes really good muzzle devices.

If you can, have her try shooting an extended session with a muzzle brake before you buy one. My two kids, age 13 and 9 like shooting the M4orgery but hate the extra muzzle blast compared to my ARs with 20" barrel and no brake. Recoil with 5.56 isn't an issue. My daughter won't shoot the AR with the brake anymore as it gives her a headache after a mag or two. This was shooting outdoors, but under a covered firing point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncarguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PWS break works great and isn't too loud. I like that its not too big either.
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6 </div></div>

I have this on my 6.8. I agree. </div></div>

+2 PWS on my AR and can't complain. Good price, functional and the guys sitting next to me don't have anything to complain about.

I have a couple PWS FSC556's and I put a Surefire MB556 on my Wifes AR.

There is decreased (IMO) recoil and the rifles are easier for us (non-pro shooters) to shoot. This does come at a price of increased concussion. Neither of us feel it's a big deal but others might...

These are the only pictures I have of them on this computer:

spr2a.jpg

sprweb-1.jpg

arweb-1.jpg

If you can find an Ares armory. I found them last year. They are adjustable. I was skeptical at first. But I used it and it work perfect. Great product. They are kind of hard to find right now. But if scan the Internet hard you can find one. Good luck!

I have a surefire and absolutely love it! The only downside, in my opinion, is that it's really loud for people standing on the side of you.

21st Century Gunfighter has a 5 video review of numerous brakes/compensators on YouTube.

I have had experience with SureFire and PWS breaks and I would probably prefer the SureFire over the PWS but both are pretty solid muzzle devices. Honestly, unless the rifle is being run in competition a break is unnecessary and may be counter productive (won't know until you try it) due to the more intense auditory feedback. Most women who aren't as accustom to shooting are startled by the sudden sound in conjunction with the movement of the rifle... even if it is just a slight jolt. The most important thing is to make sure she isn't standing completely upright when firing the weapon and has that proper bend and weight distribution behind the rifle. My exgf was in the Army for 8 years and is small... 5'2 115... she scored expert on all her marksmanship qualifications and is very good following shots up due to her form.. not her equipment.