• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake help

Mohawk3a

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
California
Looking for advice on the best muzzle brake to put on my pecision rifle. I'm most concerned with accuracy first, recoil reduction second. It will be for a 6x47 lapua, 6.5 necked down. I really like the surefire adapter/brake. I would probably have to get the 5.56 surefire and have my smith modify it since they don't offer one for a 6mm. Please share you experiences with brakes on precision rifles. I have only tried the surefire, and I could use some help. Thanks

Re: Muzzle brake help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mohawk3A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for advice on the best muzzle brake to put on my pecision rifle. I'm most concerned with accuracy first, recoil reduction second. It will be for a 6x47 lapua, 6.5 necked down. I really like the surefire adapter/brake. I would probably have to get the 5.56 surefire and have my smith modify it since they don't offer one for a 6mm. Please share you experiences with brakes on precision rifles. I have only tried the surefire, and I could use some help. Thanks </div></div>

If you interested in accuracy only, don't get a muzzle brake, it really does little in enhancing it. Putting a brake on your rifle is really for recoil reduction, and does help in seeing your follow-on shots (not losing sight picture, et al). Accuracy of the all important first shot does NOT get better with a brake, and may get worse, depending of course on the gun smith/butcher chosen to install/thread it.

Of course if your very recoil sensitive, shoot a hard kicker and/or prone to flinching with anything that goes bang, then the recoil reduction properties of a muzzle brake can be valuable, for some.

Some smith's do an excellent job on trouble free installation, and many of those can be found around this joint, oddly enough.

IMHO,

Bob

Thanks. Im not looking for a brake to help with accuracy. When I said accuracy is most important, I meant that I dont want recoil reduction at the expense to lossed accuracy. I guess bad wording on my part. I would like recoil reduction, for follow up shots ect.

Shoot it without the brake and I'll bet that you will realize that you don't need one. The recoil isn't that much different from a 6XC and the 6XC that I shot was very soft shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mohawk3A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for advice on the best muzzle brake to put on my pecision rifle. I'm most concerned with accuracy first, recoil reduction second. It will be for a 6x47 lapua, 6.5 necked down. I really like the surefire adapter/brake. I would probably have to get the 5.56 surefire and have my smith modify it since they don't offer one for a 6mm. Please share you experiences with brakes on precision rifles. I have only tried the surefire, and I could use some help. Thanks </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...473#Post1916473

I have a brake on my .308... it doesnt need it I just threw one on there to maintain sight picture whilst at high magnification and to piss off all of the old farts next to me at the range
laugh.gif

Its a Roedale brake, so it doesnt require threading, just slips on and is tensioned down.

Next time the gun is at the smith I will consider having him thread the barrel and actually indexing and installing a new brake... probably a holland radial.

Not that I dont like the Roedale, I would just prefer something I never have to check every 50 or so rounds to see if the bolts are tight. They never move but you never know

204_0.JPG

I ordered a clmap-on C21 Roedale-brake too, also for a ,308. I haven't received it yet, but can I be sure it won't come off after a few shots? It should be specially made for my type of rifle (Howa 1500), which was the first reason why I did not choose a threaded one. Just hope it will work out fine, it costs enough, that is, if I ever receive any answers from Roedale to my questions.

If your like most people get a big ugly brake and hang it off your barrel. Only then will you be cool. ( Internet cool that is.)

I bought the muzzle break not so much for the recoil reduction for my .308, as for 1) the possibility to mount a mirage band 2 ) the looks. I must say the Roedale muzzle breaks look awefully good. I'm just not too familiar with the way they actually work in practice. If there are people not at all happy with the clamp - on system, please inform me. I was told it was specially designed for the Howa 1500 and thus ideal without the need of threading, which also costs a few euro's if done well by a good gunsmith.

With being cool on internet, it has nothing to do in my case. I don't go around filming everything I do with my firearms, just to show it to the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...939#Post2050939 </div></div>

This is the cleanest brake I've seen on the market. Not to mention the only brake I would even consider. Why some people need to hang a pineapple off their barrel I'll never understand. To each their own.

I see a lot of suppressors on that website. These are forbidden for civilians in belgistan, euhm Belgium.

I run the Smith Enterprises brake on my 243. The OD of the brake matches the factory Rem 700 bbl OD. The finish is also a close match. For my 260 AI, I use the PRI Quite Control in SS. For 308 and 300WM I am using the Vais. They all work well and are loud as hell but, they make it easier to spot hits at distance.

if the rifle is going to weigh at least 10lbs don't bother with a brake on that caliber. i have a 6x47 with a brake and my shooting partner has same rifle without. neither recoil for shit and mine is significantly louder. we are both running mak xc tube guns and they don't even have a recoil pad its just plastic and its still comfortable to shoot in t shirt all day. both rifle shoot 1/2moa so accuracy is a mute point.

so far my favorite brakes are the R&D precision removable and the badger thruster. r&d is removeable and badger is not, but both are very light and effective.

Ishapore does a great job at reducing felt recoil and stays on pretty snug.

I actually had it clamped on at less than the specified torque settings and it didnt come off after 100 rounds down range.

I did have a small POI shift so I had to reset my scope turrets.

If your after something clean looking then having a Holland Radial fitted to match your barrel profile with minimal taper... its the bee's knee's

Thanks quys for the tips. And good to know, when fixed well the brake won't come off. Now, problem is, the brake has been ordered and payed a few weeks ago; so buying another one in stead, will not help.

The only thing I'm really getting angry about is the people from Roedale don't answer e-mails within a reasonable delay. As a matter of fact I sent an e-mail last saturday 4th december and uptill now, I haven't received an answer. Never had that before. I'm a very regular internet-buyer, but this kind of 'service' (if you can call it a service at all), I've never had to experience before. And when I read complaints about the Roedale guys from other people here on this forum, I'm really starting to get worried if I'm ever going to see that muzzle brake.

I've seen that Pete Lincoln reply very regularly in older posts, but I'm wondering where he is now.

Ishapore, believe me on this one... dont stress about it

I will tell you now that Pete is a very busy man and your product may take a little while.

My brake took about 7-8 weeks to get me if that helps. At the time of ordering his site said it was a 4 week wait.

Took a while but the end product is good.

Still, no news from our busy men from Roedale yet....

And still no news from Roedale.......

Where is this Pete Lincoln? I'm really getting very angry about their "excellent" service. This is something I haven't experienced before. Worst service ever!!!!!!!!!!

I ordererd it 17th november 2010. Hallo Roedale? 27 january 2011.

What the hell is going on in that firm. I'm really considering asking my money back

No muzzle brake is worth a 6 month wait, or even a 2 month wait in my opinion. You could make one with a block of steel and a chainsaw file in that amount of time.

The point is not so much whether it's worth waiting for some kind of object, the point is, I payed for it and that after two mounths it hasn't been delivered and that the service is very poor. I live in Belgium, the brakes are made in neighbouring country Germany. Nobody seems to be interested in reading questions from worried customers. I will contact them one last time and ask my money back. They did not live up to their part of the agreement (delivery within 4 weeks), so they have no reason to not give back my money. I'll order a muzzle brake from Ebiarms instead. They - real Germans - no English would be salesman - at least answer my mails. I've made my mind up: f*ck Roedale

The recent weeks I've been getting regular updates on that order of the 17 november. Makes me a lot happier. Normally it should arrive this week. Let's us hope it does and that it works well.
smile.gif

I have an opps inc on my 300WM. This thing is a laser. I read a lot about brakes before I bought one. Sure I could have just bought a harrels for something like 35 bucks but I wanted one that was closed on the bottom. I have shot too many Magnums with open bottom mags. I do not like having dirt, grass, rocks, mud, bugs and everything else that gets kicked up hitting me in the face. The only thing I could find about that break where someone was not happy was the cost. Mine was 125 but the recoil is less than a 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ishapore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a clmap-on C21 Roedale-brake too, also for a ,308. I haven't received it yet, but can I be sure it won't come off after a few shots? It should be specially made for my type of rifle (Howa 1500), which was the first reason why I did not choose a threaded one. Just hope it will work out fine, it costs enough, that is, if I ever receive any answers from Roedale to my questions. </div></div>

I had a c21 on my 308 and no problems first few times using it. but it made a spectacular departure during a night shoot, when it was impossible to look at at it every shot. Long Story short, I only use threaded brakes now. I had another one on a 300wsm that had no issues but i sold it anyway just because i didn't want to keep worrying and checking it. You only need it to happen too you once and you won't do it again!

when reading this thread at first I was regretting not getting this amazing clamp on brake then happy mine's off getting the badger FTE threaded brake installed.. and now <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">very </span></span>happy Im getting a threaded model!
grin.gif

That's indead the only worry one has, when choosing a clamp on system. From what I read before, the thing should stay ont its place when mounted well. I mean, they've been making them for a while now, so I gather this clamp-on system should have passed the 'test-phase' for quite some time now.
In the beginning I'll put a marking on the rifle with a whiteboard marker. If it has not moved a crimp after 10 - 15 shots why would it do so after the 16th? No?

Today new update received. It appears Roedale is very well working on the service these days.

Another thing. I'm not saying the inert forces on muzzle brakes are necessarely all similar with the ones on your mounted scope, but, think of this: scope rings on large caliber rifles aren't threaded either. The rings do nothing more than 'clamping' the tube of a riflescope by a few screws. How comes a riflescope with good (per definition clamp-up) scoperings on even very large caliber rifles will stay perfectly on it's place when mounted well?

The most important thing of clamp-on systems is the precision with which they are made. A clamp that covers every micro-inch of the surface will work perfectly. Roedale claims to concentrate on this precision depending on the type and make of rifle. If that is the case, I'm pretty sure the brake won't fly off the muzzle of my 308 HOWA. The amount of pressure on these few square inchs by these 4 big screws must be incredible.

What I just wonder, can it help to satisfy the mind of some people if the Roedale Muzzle brake is mounted with a little bit of blue loctite?

there really is a reason 99% of brakes sold are threaded.

I would suggest getting your most trusted gunsmith to give you his advice on clamp on brakes.

Ishapore, did we have a chat the other day? think you will find a package at your door shortly.

now when i comes down to muzzle brakes. I would be the 1st to say thread the muzzle. All my muzzles on all my own rifles are threaded.

However, in some states, countries etc it is not legal to thread a muzzle, also some rifle owners do not wish to have the muzzle threaded.

Our clamp on style brakes work 100% on the rifles they where designed for and in the calibers they where designed for.
To date we haven't had 1 single brake come off a rifle that couldn't be traced to operator fitting error.

If fitted correctly, following the mounting instructions on a rifle and caliber the brake is designed for than you will have no issues,.

even some of the Sako TRG's in .338 Lapua use clamp on brakes.

regards Pete

I can vouch that the clamp on works 100% I love mine and it will stay with the rifle for as long as I have it. I put about 150-200 rounds through mine already and its right on. Thanks Pete for the great product!
laugh.gif

Hello Pete,
Got the brake and Mirage band last week.
I had to wait a while, I started to get a little angry because of the fact that communication with Roedale was in the past not good at all. You probably noticed that on this forum. Recent weeks everything was going very well in terms of communication.
Tested the brake. Conclusion: it is GREAT! Not only does it look really cool, is it very well finished too, and it really works. I 've been shooting Sellier&Bellot competition factory ammo and the way the HOWA 1500 rifle handles this not too impressive ammo in combination with the Roedale Muzzle brake is simply superb. I'm very happy with the choice for the Roedale clamp-on system!
Best regards
Peter

if you want a brake like the roedale, try this guy

http://stores.ebay.com/DARKMETAL-DESIGN

same design, us made, a lot cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a brake on my .308... it doesnt need it I just threw one on there to maintain sight picture whilst at high magnification and to piss off all of the old farts next to me at the range
laugh.gif

Its a Roedale brake, so it doesnt require threading, just slips on and is tensioned down.

Next time the gun is at the smith I will consider having him thread the barrel and actually indexing and installing a new brake... probably a holland radial.

Not that I dont like the Roedale, I would just prefer something I never have to check every 50 or so rounds to see if the bolts are tight. They never move but you never know

204_0.JPG
</div></div>

whats that screw in the top of the brake for??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats that screw in the top of the brake for?? </div></div>

It's for attaching a mirage band to.

Axman I think you will find that the Darkmetal brake is a not quite exact copy of the older version of the brakes we used to sell from EBI-ARMS.
Our new model is original Roedale design and is the version that was developed in conjunction with the boffins at the University of Applied Science here in Osnabrück. It is far more efficient than the older model and available in far more versions.
you will also notice the absence of the stainless steel bore insert in the Dark Metal brake, this ommission reduces the cost of the brake, and reduces the efficiency.

rgds Pete

I'm running a AAC Brake, so I can thread on my AAC 762SD silencer.
The brake is pretty effective.
You will have to look at a .30 cal silencer for your 6mm.
I can use my 762SD on a 6.5 bolt rifle and my AR15's with the right muzzle adapters.