• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle Brake is crooked. Any problem with that?

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
So I'm looking for your opinions on a minor issue that I'm having......

I recently had a well known gunsmith on this board thread and install a Surefire muzzle brake onto my LR-308 upper. After receiving it back, upon inspection I could see that the brake was turned approximately 3 degrees from center causing the brake to appear slightly crooked when the rifle was held perfectly vertical. I'm not sure if the threading was short or the Surefire brake improperly indexed but the net result is that it is noticeable and will cause one side to port gas lower to one side than the other.

My question to you is this, would you send it back and have them redo it or is plus/minus 3 degrees really not a big deal? If I leave it, will there be any adverse problems to performance that I may notice?

I've never dealt with a crooked muzzle brake before and would think the only negative would be potentially kicking up dirt on one side versus the other but as for performance and handling, I wouldn't notice it. Your advice is appreciate.

Re: Muzzle Brake is crooked. Any problem with that?

Does not matter what we think, if you are unhappy with the way it looks, send it back.

I would probably take it off myself and sand the back of the brake down slightly to get the other 3 degrees on it, but you would not be wrong to return it amd let the smith do it. Stuff happens sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would probably take it off myself and sand the back of the brake down slightly to get the other 3 degrees on it, but you would not be wrong to return it amd let the smith do it. Stuff happens sometimes. </div></div>

the surefire brake uses shims to time it. it is possible to time it by setting back the shoulder on the barrel at the time of threading but that is not something that can be fixed by sanding. you can't reach the shoulder of the brake because it is internal. the surefire brake also comes with some cement to bond it to the barrel. if that cement was used, it may not come off easy.

if it really bugged me, i'd contact the smith and find out if the brake is bonded to the barrel. if not, and the brake needs to be turned 3* clockwise when looking at the muzzle, i'd tighten it until it is timed right. if it is not bonded and the brake needs to turn 3* counterclockwise, i'd ask him to send the rest of the shim kit and the timing chart that came with the brake and do it myself. if it is bonded, i'd let the smith take care of it but you better make sure you are correct about the timing being off.

You're not happy with it, send it back.

Be nice about it, like mscott said "stuff happens", tell the smith you noticed it was a little crooked and it's been bothering you. Ask how long would it take to get back if you sent it back in the next few days or would it be better to wait until next week. So you're trying to work with him too and not being demanding.

Just my $.02

Seekers

Re: Muzzle Brake is crooked. Any problem with tha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you measure approx 3 degrees? </div></div>

I hung a plumb line off the barrel, leveled the firearm action using a bubble level, then placed a 360 degree protractor over the muzzle aligned with the flat base to get an accurate measure of the difference of the alignment of the brake to the plumb line. Simple.........

How else would you measure it?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Muzzle Brake is crooked. Any problem with that?
</div></div>

From an operation stand point no, not enough to worry about. I mean are you going to be able to hold your rifle perfectly plumb during every shot?

If you just have to have it perfect you will need to add torque (be careful too much torque can cause other issues) or add or replace a shim to get the brake to time correctly before adding torque.

Send it back to the smith. Let him have the headache of fixing it.
If you mess with it and something happens the smith can say he wont fix it because you messed with it.

Just a thought.

Mac