• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake on .22lr accuracy

PPS LRPS.260

Flunky paratrooper
Minuteman
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Arizona
    Ok, i just bought a ats tuner for my vudoo and it looks goofy as hell with just the thread protector, so i have a brake on the way,and no its not for recoil its for total looks only,but im curious if it will affect p.o.i with the tuner? Im thinking so,and is no big deal . I will adjust tuner till it shoots one hole again then go from there,just curious what others have done. i bought it for tighter groups out at 200 plus yrds. And yes it works, on a 6in plate at 200 yrds it was shooting a estimated 2-4 in group now its shooting a 1.5 in group. Any input on what others have found would be great,gonna add this brake and retune.thanks .

I run mine with the thread protector, personally don't think it looks odd....

It doesn't look bad ,just looks like something is missing. I will have to retune when i out the brake on

I am having one custom made, because of the distance i have from putting the tuner on so im limited to thread length,but its a selftimed brake made by a local machinist. Plus its not outrageous in price 75.00 and its a custom made brake 3 port. Hopefully it will work out as planned.

Lead and crap builds up on baffles/ports. Buildup encroaches into bore (or chunks of buildup break off and fall into bore) and deflects bullet.
    If you insist on using a brake, you will have to add scraping lead to your maintenance regimen.

Reactions: Gjmen22
    Ok, i just bought a ats tuner for my vudoo and it looks goofy as hell with just the thread protector, so i have a brake on the way,and no its not for recoil its for total looks only,but im curious if it will affect p.o.i with the tuner? Im thinking so,and is no big deal . I will adjust tuner till it shoots one hole again then go from there,just curious what others have done. i bought it for tighter groups out at 200 plus yrds. And yes it works, on a 6in plate at 200 yrds it was shooting a estimated 2-4 in group now its shooting a 1.5 in group. Any input on what others have found would be great,gonna add this brake and retune.thanks .
    1.5" groups @ 200 yds is some damn nice shooting. 👍

interested to see a pic with the tuner on for reference.

Ok ,when i get it i will have to post some pics. As of now heres how it looks

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_095310702.jpg
      IMG_20210412_095310702.jpg
      383.5 KB · Views: 488
    • IMG_20210412_095316439.jpg
      IMG_20210412_095316439.jpg
      511.5 KB · Views: 443
    • Love
    Reactions: Luka and Badjujuu
    Im pretty anal about cleaning,so shouldn't be a issue and if it does cause issues,it will come off.

Sweet, looks good - i have a 22" MTU lefty on order and this gives me good vibes on what'll look like....

How's the balance?

Reactions: Luka
    Balance is perfect, I thought of putting a can on it, but will throw my balance off and makes it a bit combursome, and i have a buddy that has a area 419 brake in his and its maybe,maybe ,1decibal lounder,im shooting center x and Midas plus so not much of a issue shooting that ammo,no HV ammo for me

Lead and crap builds up on baffles/ports. Buildup encroaches into bore (or chunks of buildup break off and fall into bore) and deflects bullet.
    If you insist on using a brake, you will have to add scraping lead to your maintenance regimen.
    On a .22LR? I haven't tried a brake on my .22s, but is that really an issue?

No, like i said in the beginning it is for looks only, i just wanted to see what others were doing for the a.t.s. barrel tuner, it shoots lights out already but now it shoots even better out to distance , tighter groups. I just dint like the way it looks, like something is missing.... Sooooooo im just having a brake built to help with looks.

Reactions: STex
    On a .22LR? I haven't tried a brake on my .22s, but is that really an issue?
    Ever notice how much smoke comes out the muzzle end of a .22? What do you think is in that smoke? It's particlized lead and lube, and unburnt powder residue. All of that crap will settle on any surface ahead of the muzzle and, since there's comparatively little heat at the muzzle, there is no burn-off so it cools and hardens and builds-up until either it intrudes into the bore or a piece is knocked loose and falls into the bore.
    It's the same thing as what happens inside of a rimfire suppressor.

Last edited:
    Harrells brake tuner is basically the same thing. I just put it on tonight so I can’t say if it helps or not.

Attachments

• 9B8FB992-334F-4170-AF3B-7DE7E4107033.jpeg
      9B8FB992-334F-4170-AF3B-7DE7E4107033.jpeg
      374.2 KB · Views: 108
    Reactions: BisSilent and STex
    Good to see im not the only one...looks great, i should get my brake tomarrow,then gotta test

No muzzle brake here. They do look nice but not into something that’s not functional. Now a tuner would be different. Otherwise no and but a suppressor always looks badass and saves your hearing

the first photo is 5 shot group at 50 without a brake. SK Rifle Match. The second photo is 3 5 shot groups with a brake. This is a 20" Kukri Bartline barrel. The difference blew me away. I wanted a brake for just the looks of matching my CF Rifles. It was removed a put in the gun box.

** The Odd Groups are the Bergara the Vudoo replaced. **
    tempImageeQmwuy.png
    tempImageoF8Jjb.png

Got the muzzle break put on but to dam windy in az. To shoot . Doesn't do a dam thing but looks better than just the thread protector....

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_121849445.jpg
      IMG_20210421_121849445.jpg
      626.8 KB · Views: 98
    Reactions: Delboy 71 and STex
    Not a fan of mr. know it all.. and not into bling bling shiny things on my rifle,all that ec tuner is missing is some fuzzy dice ,and a big gold chain.... Lol thanks tho... Still shoots lights out

• Haha
    Reactions: Snuby642
    Harrells brake tuner is basically the same thing. I just put it on tonight so I can’t say if it helps or not.
    First time out with tuner brake was a learning experience. Setting 87 was the best I found and averaged .471 for seven five shot groups at fifty yards. That’s the same as without. Hopefully I can do better.

Attachments

• F78DBB49-223D-4121-A641-D936D92DBA4E.jpeg
      F78DBB49-223D-4121-A641-D936D92DBA4E.jpeg
      555.9 KB · Views: 96
    Possibly you have hit the limit of the equipment you have.

Everything has a limit in my case it includes my personal skills.

Sometimes on my loads I hit a wall. I pass the gun around to a couple rso's young hot shots to make sure it's not me.

Some days it's fun to see I had the best group and the young hot shots are like wtf old guy.

Other days it's me and have to shoot part of the groups over.

Point is if a device can not be found to make a difference it probably should be removed.

But another shooter to help verify lends confidence some days for me.

Example being one of the regular rso's watched me have 2 shit days in a row. He knew my normall abilities and groups.

After some maintenance I had snugged tight instead of torqued my scope base.
    Always carry a batch of controll ammo even if not the best it's a constant.

Edit: One day the hot shot rso shot the best group he ever had with my reload. He cut it from the sheet to show off to his friends. A couple came to that section of the range and I let them shoot it all.
    Too bad that barrel wore out and looks like a smooth bore, it was good.

Last edited:
    Possibly you have hit the limit of the equipment you have.

Everything has a limit in my case it includes my personal skills.

Sometimes on my loads I hit a wall. I pass the gun around to a couple rso's young hot shots to make sure it's not me.

Some days it's fun to see I had the best group and the young hot shots are like wtf old guy.

Other days it's me and have to shoot part of the groups over.

Point is if a device can not be found to make a difference it probably should be removed.

But another shooter to help verify lends confidence some days for me.

Example being one of the regular rso's watched me have 2 shit days in a row. He knew my normall abilities and groups.

After some maintenance I had snugged tight instead of torqued my scope base.
    Always carry a batch of controll ammo even if not the best it's a constant.
    I think you might be right. If I can’t get it to do better I will probably put it on a ar15.

Yep same here,test test try this try that all else fails get rid of it.. 1.5 in groups at 200 yrds isnt bad with center x ammo in a 22lr im pretty stoked... 50 yrd groups stayed the same one hole.

Started at #1 and finished where the circled sharpie is those were 5 shot groups at 50 yrds.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_102546003.jpg
      IMG_20210412_102546003.jpg
      317.6 KB · Views: 167
    Reactions: Big Bo
    Yep that’s centerfire accuracy.
    Wut? Maybe from a wobbly barricade

I'd be surprised if the EC tuner brake has enough moving weight to make a difference on whats become standard: MTU 20" 22 barrels

Even the ATS (i have one. Havent played with it yet cause winter) might be a little light. There's a reason it goes from adjustments of small to half rotation when going centerfire to rimfire

Wut? Maybe from a wobbly barricade

I'd be surprised if the EC tuner brake has enough moving weight to make a difference on whats become standard: MTU 20" 22 barrels

Even the ATS (i have one. Havent played with it yet cause winter) might be a little light. There's a reason it goes from adjustments of small to half rotation when going centerfire to rimfire
    I have the Harrell tuner brake on a Bergara. Maybe it is too light.

Sounds about right,i have one on my 6.5x47L works like it should. The one on the vudoo is a a.t.s. seems to be working great