• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzle Brake on a 308 Bolt Gun.

MudBug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2005
Arizona
I know I risk being called names for asking this... but What do you think?

I used to hate brakes, but I have them now on both my more precision oriented ARs in grendel and 223. I've really started to like them.

I'm having the barrel on my 700 chopped to 20" and have considered having it threaded for a muzzle brake.

Re: Muzzle Brake on a 308 Bolt Gun.

You're in AZ. Get a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're in AZ. Get a can. </div></div>

I've considered it, but If I did it would be that Gemtech TI can. I just may do that later but it's pricey.

Part of the reason I'm chopping the barrel is that I'm short and have stubby little dwarf arms. In our local matches I have had a lot of trouble with the position shooting stuff (Standing, sitting, etc) because I just can't get my arms out far enough to really support the weight. So I'm getting rid of my heavy stock and chopping the barrel. Adding a heavy can on the end is going the wrong direction.

I have never found much use for brakes on bolt action rifles until getting into the larger, magnum calibers like the 338LM, etc. BUT...if you are going to the trouble to have your barrel cut down...

1) get it threaded 5/8x24 (standard for .30cal muzzle applications for the most part);

2) have your smith make you a thread protector from part of the barrel that you are cutting down (keep it smooth for a "seamless" finish or get it knurled to your pref.);

3) use the threaded barrel for any of the following: a) put a brake on it and remove it when you don't want/need it or when competing and brakes aren't allowed; or b) use the threaded barrel to install a suppressor down the road (the ultimate muzzle brake/flas hider).
smile.gif

It really comes down to personal preference and the conditions you will be shooting in. If you want it threaded for a brake...go for it!!

I'm with ORD. Get a Badger FTE break in 5/8x24 and it you get a can down the road you can screw it right on as the FTE is removable for cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><SNIP></div></div>

All good info. I like the idea of the thread protector. That way I don't have to decide now, but if I get a can later I'm GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with ORD. Get a Badger FTE break in 5/8x24 and it you get a can down the road you can screw it right on as the FTE is removable for cleaning. </div></div>

Just checked out the Badger FTE. Is it a thread on that screw tightens for indexing?

Surfire brake and can is another option. Get the brake now and can later

I'll second Rob01's recommendation of the FTE. It is an excellent brake and should serve you well. They thread on and then are clamped down by a set screw.

take a look at shark suppressors if you dont want to worry about weight because they are REALLY LIGHT when you do go look at buying a can

So what are the benefits of the Badger brake over other 30 cal brakes? I'm not saying it isn't worth the big cash, just wondering what those benefits are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are the benefits of the Badger brake over other 30 cal brakes? I'm not saying it isn't worth the big cash, just wondering what those benefits are. </div></div>

Reduced recoil.....and cool looks (FTE stands for Front Towards Enemy and it is inscribed on the muzzle end of brake).

Here is my 30cal 20" with FTE brake:

16ljrxl.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are the benefits of the Badger brake over other 30 cal brakes? I'm not saying it isn't worth the big cash, just wondering what those benefits are. </div></div>

.....and cool looks (FTE stands for Front Towards Enemy and it is inscribed on the muzzle end of brake).
</div></div>

i guess that is one opinion. i think they are hideous
grin.gif

Comparing an older Near, factory Sako and Elite Iron on TRG's:
I highly recommend the Elite Iron. It's effect has to be shot to be appreciated.
To be fair, the Near was one of the older designs which has since been improved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never found much use for brakes on bolt action rifles until getting into the larger, magnum calibers like the 338LM, etc. BUT...if you are going to the trouble to have your barrel cut down...

1) get it threaded 5/8x24 (standard for .30cal muzzle applications for the most part);

2) have your smith make you a thread protector from part of the barrel that you are cutting down (keep it smooth for a "seamless" finish or get it knurled to your pref.);

3) use the threaded barrel for any of the following: a) put a brake on it and remove it when you don't want/need it or when competing and brakes aren't allowed; or b) use the threaded barrel to install a suppressor down the road (the ultimate muzzle brake/flas hider).
smile.gif

It really comes down to personal preference and the conditions you will be shooting in. If you want it threaded for a brake...go for it!! </div></div>

Good advice! I have no problem with running a break on any rifle you see fit. I run breaks on my .223's and .260 Rem competition rifles. I'm using a Badger FTE on my GAP .260 Rem and love it. I can watch my rounds go down range if the sun is right, and I have no problem seeing my bullets splash. If your going to shoot comps and they will allow you to use a break, then do so. It's an asset. For me, it's about reducing the recoil so that controlling the rifle from any shooting position is not an issue, and making sure that I see my hits, so that if I miss on the first round I can compensate and adjust for the follow up shot.

Well; it's loud, no doubt about that. It reduces recoil down to .223 levels. But .308 levels are quite tolerable, IMHO.

I'd pass.

Greg

I cut down the barrel on my sps-t 308 to 18.5 inches and put a brake on it to finish at 20.5in's. I just got it back and shot it yesterday. It definately tamed it down some more. I am on target alot quicker than before. Now it just kind of rises up a small amount but if I do my part I can stay on the target much easier now. It definatly increased how loud it is.

Not asked yet: Why do you say you like brakes; and Why do you say you want them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not asked yet: Why do you say you like brakes; and Why do you say you want them? </div></div>

I like them because they work. The only real downside is the noise.

The benefit is you won't be crowded at the range.

I shot next to a braked AR at the last local match. I ended up trying to time it so that I was not in the middle of my pull when they fired. That got annoying real fast. It didn't cause me any misses, but I did have to focus more.

Of course that could give you an advantage.

My AR10 project is going to get an FTE. I am setting up the rifle to be used from non-standard positions. The brake will help when "straight back" is not an option. The can will be added later when my wallet recovers and the brake will be retained for matches in "unfriendly" territory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The benefit is you won't be crowded at the range.

I shot next to a braked AR at the last local match. I ended up trying to time it so that I was not in the middle of my pull when they fired. That got annoying real fast. It didn't cause me any misses, but I did have to focus more.

Of course that could give you an advantage.

My AR10 project is going to get an FTE. I am setting up the rifle to be used from non-standard positions. The brake will help when "straight back" is not an option. The can will be added later when my wallet recovers and the brake will be retained for matches in "unfriendly" territory. </div></div>

I shot one of Zak's PRTC matches when they were still at the Wittington center. On one stage I was on the line next to the shooter from SDI who was shooting a 300 win mag with a brake, so I've been on the other side and know what it can be like. I got him back though cuz he was on my right side and I was shooting an AR10. I dropped several pieces of hot brass down the back of his shirt.
cool.gif

Now I have anotehr question.

18" or 20" from the lug. I know there have been threads on this but the forum search is failing me.

For the most part 700 yards is the absolute longest distance at our local matches, but usually less than 600 yards. Over the next year I'm gonna start buying pieces for a 6.5 Creedmore build.

Mudbug,

I don't care what ANYBODY has to say bad about putting a brake on a .308, because it's the best thing I've ever done to mine.

I put a Lawton brake on mine and it's like shooting a .223 I didn't notice an increase of noise or pressure in my face. I do double-up (Ear plugs & muffs) but I already did that before I put the brake on.

My Lawton barrel was already threaded 5/8x24 like ORD mentioned and came with a thread protector that fits so good, that when it's on you can't even tell the barrel is threaded. What’s cool about the threads is if I ever move to a free American state I can slap a suppresser on it.

The first time I shot it w/o the brake I ran about 40 rounds through it and I could feel my shoulder for about 4 or 5 days...after the brake and the same amount of rounds I felt nothing at all. I do keep the thread protector in the case so if I'm at a somewhat boxed-in range (Concrete floor, back & side walls, and a roof) I won't be running everyone else off of the firing line.

Trust me, you will NOT regret it.

-Pat

Shooting with a brake makes me feel like I'm cheating, because it eliminates exactly the issues with shooting which I need most to work on.

However, it is indeed an advantage even with the small recoil of a .308 which is totally manageable.

Get the best of both worlds and go for a can
laugh.gif

Then everyone will want to sit next to you and at the same time you'll get all the benefits of a brake.

I probably install vais brakes on 90% of my customers rifles. The ground blast isn't that bad, it's very efficient and blows a good portion of the noise down range.

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I probably install vais brakes on 90% of my customers rifles. The ground blast isn't that bad, it's very efficient and blows a good portion of the noise down range.

JamieD
</div></div>

They seem to have lots of variations. Any of them considered the best design?

Thanks oakiefired. Here is Vais's link http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/. mudbug, I have put several on some 300 Win. Mags and 300 Ulta Mags. Tames them down quit a bit. A least so there somewhat enjoyable to shoot : ) On my .260 I can spot my shots running 140's pretty much all the time. There are alot of good brakes out there but I think they have the better design even if by a little!

JamieD

I use the AAC mb, it works well for my needs

Uhg, I just did more research on the Badger FTE and I would have to have a smith install it. It seems they come made for 22 cal so that has to be bored out and the barrel has to be turned down were it clamps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot_Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The first time I shot it w/o the brake I ran about 40 rounds through it and I could feel my shoulder for about 4 or 5 days...
</div></div>

Brother, unless you have a serious injury, then shooting 40 rounds of .308 should not put you in pain. There are days I run 100+ through mine (13.5lbs, no brake). I am not bragging. It's just a matter of learning to shoot the rifle correctly.

Some folks get slapped good the first time. This can result in them subconsciously pushing the rifle away before they fire. These same folks will usually complain about "bipod hop" then seek a brake to cure both these problems.

There are good reasons to run a brake. If you are all twisted up in a shooting position dictated by terrain and concealment, then you can't get straight behind the rifle. It's still important to get a quick followup sight picture. In a match it can be real important too. A brake will help with this.

If you are "recoil sensitive" then figure out why and fix the software issue before looking for the hardware.

If a brake makes it more fun for you to shoot, then drive on! Just don't think it's fixing a problem. Most of the time it's just masking one.

Now a brake on a .50BMG is required equipment.

I agree with Lonewolf. I push 178 Amax's with 45gr of Varget out of my LTR and it bucks pretty good, certainly nothing that isn't tolerable but I do plan on breaking it in the not too distant future. Never shot a 308 I thought was punishing though. Now the 8mm yugo mauser I put 30 or so rnds through Sunday afternoon is a different story
wink.gif
. Damn I luv recoil, it makes my sticker peck out.

okie