• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake on a AR?

silentbutdeadly

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Orange County, California
I'm building a 5.56 varmint/precision AR. I have JD Machine upper and lowers, and a free floated 24" ss fluted barrel. I will buy a Magpul PRS stock for it. I am researching triggers, and muzzle brakes. What trigger should I get? Should I have the bbl end threaded for a muzzle brake? What brake works well? Any gunsmith recommendations for installing the bbl work?

OK, I realize a 5.56 doesn't really need a brake, but I want this rig to work well and look cool also.

Regards,

Rick

Re: Muzzle brake on a AR?

LMAO, you are goin to get flamed a bit so stand by. search button is also usefull. but i'll try to help

triggers:
ar gold
geissele
timney

muzzle brake:
badger thruster
PWS
surefire
the list for brakes are endless

@ BigJoe, Hahaha, I knew as I was writing my post that asking about a muzzle brake for a 5.56 that I sounded too tacticool/poser-ish. On the other hand, asking a question like that on this forum, I felt like I would get a straight answer rather than what I would get from the mall ninja's in the other forums. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Rick

Bill Springfield in Colorado does a great trigger job. Very reasonable, too. You can send in you trigger group for rework or he will sell you one out right. I know there may be "fancier" setups out there, bit his triggers are quite smooth.

http://triggerwork.net/index.html

Have fun!

Put a Surefire Brake on it, and then a Surefire can. I know you'll be able to see your hits at as close as 150 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> @ BigJoe, Hahaha, I knew as I was writing my post that asking about a muzzle brake for a 5.56 that I sounded too tacticool/poser-ish. On the other hand, asking a question like that on this forum, I felt like I would get a straight answer rather than what I would get from the mall ninja's in the other forums. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Rick </div></div>

It wasnt the question. It was not searching first. I just posted in one of the threads the other day. But I will do it again for the next guy that searches.

I like my SJC Titan a lot. It's the most effective I tried. The gun barely moves.

I have a couple of JP upper builds and they use the Cooley type brakes. Very effective.

As for a brake on a AR....again...I like brakes regardless of caliber. I like the ability to spot my own shots and fat fallow up shots.

I am using 3 lbs. Timney triggers in both of mine. They are decent triggers. One of these days I would like to try one of those AR Gold triggers.

Take care,Stan

PS...here are some videos of my braked AR's..look at the (lack) of recoil.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSfxXZfMnNk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSfxXZfMnNk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVQjXOLb6Sw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVQjXOLb6Sw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I did do a search = "AR muzzle brake" and variations of that search, didn't get many hits that were much help.

I like the looks of the Cooley Tactical Comp, is it blind on one side?

Great video's...

I filled out my profile.

I just recently joined SH. My knees are toast from racing dirt bikes and shooting IPSC, so now I want to get into precision/long range shooting. My most recent projects: I am just about done building an M1a. Started with a Std-loaded, bought a JAE stock (still waiting for it) Nightforce scope 5.5-22x56 mil/mil, Sadlak mount, badger rings, sadlak Ti-coated gas piston, and a few other goodies. Finishing up my JD Machine upper/lower AR. Next I want to build a .308 Remington based precision bolt gun. SH is a wealth of information.

Regards,

Rick

You're in the OC, so contact Jojo Vidanes and JV Dynamics in Norco. He can take care of it. Trigger-wise, keep it simple and go JP. On the brake...well...that's a matter of personal preference, but since you're in California, unless you plan on visiting America, don't worry about adapters for cans.

Best bang for the buck is the DPMS/Miculek comp. At like $30 it's by far one of the best performing comps. Just lacks the "sexy" factor for some. JP's Bennie Cooley comp, Triangle Shooting Sports' Rolling Thunder, SJC's Titan and PRI's comps are all sweet. You're in the $75-100 range, but they all work and look cool too.

Just comes down to what you're looking for. FWIW, you don't need a 24" barrel. Remember...whatever you hike in with, you have to hike out with and the lighter the better.

Rich

If you want a single stage trigger (a good thing for long-range precision), I like my Timney 3# a lot. Improved my groups by .25moa-ish. Not sure the AR Gold would improve it much more, so I don't see why it's worth the addition funds.

A good trigger on an AR is a must - its the crappest part of the overall design (IMHO).

As someone else said, no need to brake a heavy, long, stainless barrel in 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giessele and Surefire</div></div>

+1 that's what I run, great combination.

Try a Chip McKormick drop in trigger unit. For a brake look for RWS on the hide - about $50 for the brake and a very few more $$ to thread the barrel

I have brakes on all my ARs except for the 24" varmint rig. That beast is so damn heavy with the scope and PRS stock, it hardly moves at all.