• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Muzzle Brake Options

BlkExp98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
South Carolina
Im thinking about adding a muzzle brake to my .308 rem 700 and had a specific "feature" i was looking for. What i want is a brake that has the barrel face exposed. I see the RAD Rapid Brake looks like it does what i want and gets good reviews. I need to check with Hateca to see if they are still available though since i don't see them on BAD's site yet.

Are there any other makers out there that leave the face of the barrel exposed? My reason for wanting this is for fowling reasons. On my AR15 I have a YHM Phantom qd mount for my suppressor and the crown gets a lot of carbon buildup on it because that flashhider is made with a baffle right after the face of the barrel. The baffle has no exit except where the bullet passes so a buildup of carbon starts. My Vortex flashider is made the same way as are a good many brakes. I've even thought about boring out that part of the flashider but don't know what other effects it will have.

So what do you think?

ETA: The Tubb 2k brake is interesting but its for a larger thread pattern. Is there anyone who makes something like this in a 5/8 x 24? If any of you have used the tubb brake what kind of experience was it? I may can have my barrel threaded the necessary 3/4x28 if its worth it. It will just be a pain if i ever get a .308 suppressor since ill have to turn them down and maybe cut the barrel back too since the T2K threads will be longer.

Re: Muzzle Brake Options

If I follow what you're asking, the Badger FTE is a good option.

Very poor picture, but you can see the exposed crown in the FTE:

28us0og.jpg

I think Surefires brake is the best, I have one on all my guns.

Downside is its loud as hell but Hey its a brake.

Look at the RWS brakes on here. He can do pretty much anything and only charges you $45. A fantastic brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the RWS brakes on here. He can do pretty much anything and only charges you $45. A fantastic brake. </div></div>
+1 Amazing brake for only $45. I don't think he can be beat

I only use Tubb T2K on my rifles and my Shark Suppressor screws right on both of them, 5/8-24 my be more common of a thread size for brakes and cans but it's not the only one.

Here are some pics of the RWS brake.

RWSBrakePic1.jpg

RWEBrakePic2.jpg

There are no ports on the bottom of the break, therefore eliminating any trash blast.

The RWS Brake is pretty impressive. I've found his thread and have been reading through it. Ill send him a e-mail and see what kinds of changes he has made and can make to his program. I hate to pester him too much with details since he is trying to help us and keep the costs down. The noise is something im thinking about but ten again every brake ive really looked at has a similar layout and after all that is how it works. It cant be as loud as the single large port brakes can it? I also assume going with a smaller diameter will yield less recoil reduction but also less sound. Is that a fair assumption or is the pitch louder on the smaller ones so they are louder?

427Cobra: Can you give me any feedback on the Tubb 2K brake? I'm curious how it is sound wise as well as with recoil reduction. How long did you have the threads cut on you barrel? I like the fact that it can be used like a tuner and with the larger diameter threaded portion it gives the gasses a little more time to get away from the bullet as they hit the first baffle. It seems to me that may help the bullet not be disturbed as much. The offset cuts vs the top and bottom are nice too. I know at some point im going to want a suppressor for my .308 so ill look around and see who does or will offer that thread pattern.

The T2k brake is a super effective brake, it's not loud for the shooter, toddacguy has one on his 300wm, when I do load development I have the brake screwed all the way on, I look for the smallest SD/ES, then tweek seating depth for the best group, then I turn the brake out one turn at a time and recheck groups until it shrinks even more, I also find a slight cant to the left really keeps the rifles on target in screwy positions, prone my rifles hardly move at all. A lot of people talk about POI shifts with there can on, I don't have any, I think it's because of the jam nut and Shark Suppressors are not cheap stamped baffle welded together over priced mufflers, every single piece is CNC made, and hand assembled by one man.

On a somewhat unrelated note i have another opinion question for yall. Ok there are a few ways people mount a threaded attachment and i wanted to see what you thought about them.

1- Torque the item to a certain spec and leave it with a peel washer?
2- Torque the item to a certain spec agains the barrel shoulder and use locktite or rockset?
3- Screw the item in place by hand and index it while just using locktite or rockset as the "glue" to hold it in place.

What got me thinking about this was in reading about various brakes i saw where some people didnt want to put torque on their barrels so they basically did option 3. This gives you a no barrel stress install. The issue i can see happening by doing this is a sharp vibration node in the gap between the barrel shoulder and the brake. You could argue one fitted to where it was hand tight in place wouldnt have a gap so ive thought aout that too. Right there at the end of the barrel id be curious to know what effect that could have.

By using a large thread like the 3/4-28 there wouldnt be as much of a transition as there would be with a more normal 5/8-24. Also the higher pitch would allow you to possibly get a tighter fit. On my barrel I would just have enough material to turn the 3/4-28 threads so there wouldnt be much shoulder to add a wierd harmonic in. However you have to step up the diameter of the brake to around 1".

On a bolt gun is red threadlocker really needed if your not torquing the item in place?

- permetex blue has a working range to 300 degrees F but they say to heat it to 450 to get it loose. Locktite blue didnt really give a temp.
- locktite red says heat to ~500 degrees F to break free. Permetex red high strength has the same melt specs as blue however they have a high temp red that has a 450 degree working range and a 500 degree F loosening point.
- Rocksett has a high working temp of 700 to 750 degrees F.

BTW: Tubb, RWS and fabedbyjake can do 3/4-28 threads too.

You could use a crush washer, doesn't take much torque at all, and upto the suggested max 3/4 turn should align any brake (most seem to align within 1/2 a turn).

Or use a shim kit - comes in a pack with various thicknesses, a nicer option than peel washers in my opinion, and can be used with lockset if desired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Surefires brake is the best, I have one on all my guns.

</div></div>

How well does it work with a suppressor? I was thinking of getting a surefire can and i was wondering how good the mounting is on the brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Surefires brake is the best, I have one on all my guns.

</div></div>

How well does it work with a suppressor? I was thinking of getting a surefire can and i was wondering how good the mounting is on the brake. </div></div>

WORKS great,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the RWS brakes on here. He can do pretty much anything and only charges you $45. A fantastic brake. </div></div>

+1 great product, great price and great guy to deal with.

From the sounds of what your saying you may want to take a look at a brake called the Muscle Brake. I just had one put on my Rem 308 and it looks awesome. The crown of the rifle is just about flush with the back flat of the first baffle if that makes sense which is I believe what your looking for. Im out of town but can try and send you a picture or post a picture here if you'd like when Im home.