• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake to help reduce hop

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
Rifle is TRG-22, and I shoot left handed if that make a difference.

Is there a muzzle brake that will help reduce muzzle hop to the left? I have tried changing my position in relation to rifle; more behind it, but have not seemed to get it right yet.

I am not concerned with a brake reducing recoil, only that it reduces muzzle hop to the left.

Re: Muzzle brake to help reduce hop

What caliber are you shooting? With something like a .308, I'd say that you need to work on your form a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With something like a .308</div></div>

Yes a 308, and I will continue to work on form.

I would say if you are not worried about recoil then I wouldn't worry about the brake, just practice
smile.gif

Get some snap caps to fill up the mag, and just practice trigger control and breathing. Make sure your stock placement is good on your shoulder from shot to shot. We all started at the same point where you are at.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What caliber are you shooting? With something like a .308, I'd say that you need to work on your form a bit. </div></div>

My form is awesome, but I'm still putting a break on my 20" bbl. When you can get straight behind the rifle it's a non issue. I'm not trying to manage the recoil I need to manage the muzzle flip. I shoot often with a sling or unconventional positions. I always like to be able to spot my own shots.

Look at the RAD Rapid break. Brandon has one on his .243 and there is zero recoil or flip. I mean zero. I plan on going the same route.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2009072#Post2009072

Form can help, but if you are still looking for a brake, both the NEAR brake and the factory Sako brake work great and can be timed however you want to prevent twisting etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> factory Sako brake work great and can be timed however you want to prevent twisting etc</div></div>

I found a new Sako muzzle brake for a very good price so I went ahead and bought it.

So how do I time brake to prevent hop to left?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> factory Sako brake work great and can be timed however you want to prevent twisting etc</div></div>

I found a new Sako muzzle brake for a very good price so I went ahead and bought it.

So how do I time brake to prevent hop to left?</div></div>

If the muzzle is jumping left, turn the muzzle brake a bit to the left of center. This will neutralize it.

Pretty much, just loosen the clamp screw and turn it to wherever need it. Easy to accomplish in 10 rounds or less.

It is your shooting form. You really need to get that in shape before you try to mask it.

Rifles recoil strait back, if it is bouncing off your shoulder at a different angle, you need to make it bounce straight forward. Just practice different angles until you find what works, then practice until it becomes instinctive.

The online training offered here is worth every penny.

I shoot a JP break on my 700 and I tried every orientation I could to prevent muzzle hop to the right. Nothing worked. A buddy got me centered properly on the rifle and it stopped. I shoot the break squared up and have a little vertical movement, but no more lateral nonsense. Might not be the case with you, but my positioning was pretty bad. A second set of trained eyes helped me quite a bit. Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buddy got me centered properly on the rifle and it stopped. I shoot the break squared up and have a little vertical movement, but no more lateral nonsense. Might not be the case with you, but my positioning was pretty bad. A second set of trained eyes helped me quite a bit. Just my .02</div></div>

I got a friend at my gun club that's going to help me with my form.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ronas said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> factory Sako brake work great and can be timed however you want to prevent twisting etc</div></div>

So how do I time brake to prevent hop to left?</div></div>

If the muzzle is jumping left, turn the muzzle brake a bit to the left of center. This will neutralize it. [/
quote]

Turning the muzzle break is like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound..form is the answer. Go get some training from a marksman in your area.

With a muzzle brake you might not keep a shooting partner- they are not fun to be next to. My buddy has few friends when he fires his Badger braked .308, esp. at a range that has a shed covering the firing line. But it is effective. Plus and minus.

Do the online training. You spent all the money on a nice rifle, might as well spend a couple hundred more and get some good basics down.

Shooting technique can fix the hop as log as your willing to keep form properly. A muzzle brake helps with hop and perceptive recoil for the most part, but in relation it's a lot louder and typically doesn't help proper shooting form. It can actually make some form a flinch. Just my .02 cents.

~R

I bought the Sako muzzle brake and installed it with the small screw sticking straight up. The brake is unbelieveably effective. Rifle goes straight back and stays right on target.

At 600 yards I can watch the paint splash off the steel plate and at 800 yards I can watch the large spot appear as the bullet hits the steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ 1 working on your technique. If you want a good brake -better than factory Sako- MaxTac.

http://www.eliteiron.net/</div></div>

I've talked to them about their Bravo suppressor for my TRG. I hope to get one eventually.

My .308 with a Roedale muzzle brake feels like a .223 and almost no muzzle flip at all.

Aron-

I've got a Roedale for the TikkaT3Tac in 7.62 and absolutely no complaints with it, either. Very effective.

I agree completely with Alpha01.
The rifle is telling you that something needs fixed and giving you hints as to what it is. It is not a brake.
Try:
Getting lined up behind the gun, shoulders square, trigger finger square.

Sako brake slots are cut with a slight differential favoring a downward push (the top of the brake slots are open, the bottoms closed) -- so a slight "Hop" is unavoidable.

sakoe28099s-trg-42-338-lapua-mag-c.jpg

You can clock the brake to favor the top 10 or 11-o'clock to offset the thrust. You'll still get a hop but it won't torque to the left so drastically.

Richard Near's TRG brake isn't relieved as much towards the top --the rifle will recoil more straight to the rear:

NearBreak.jpg