• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzle brakes on .308 any regrets?

Re: Muzzle brakes on .308 any regrets?

If you want to put a brake on, by all means do it. If it turns out you dont like it, you can chop off the threads and have the barrel re-crowned or just pony up and add a can.

I have no problem with brakes at my matches. I prefer cans over brakes anyday, but thats just me.

I had a 20 inch barrel w/ a Surefire brake and suppressor on it. The RSO came over and said that no class III was allowed on the range; so I took the can off and fired one round! The RSO came back over and said " on second thought; go ahead and leave your can on"!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i think muzzle brakes on tactical rifles are here to stay. most of us have learned to deal with that. if you have the ability to segregate those with a brake, that would be great. that would be difficult at most matches, in my opinion. </div></div>

It's not difficult at all, in F-class. They're simply banned entirely...and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Equipment will never make someone into a shooter. If you can't hit shit without a brake, the brake will not make the difference.

But, as stated, a brake will tame ANY cartridge. </div></div>

my bad. i though we were discussing tactical type rifles, not f-class. good luck trying to ban muzzle brakes from all tactical matches.

i don't think anyone ever stated that a muzzle brake would turn a shitty shooter into a match winner. i don't feel my 15 lb 300 win mag shooting 210 vld's at 2950 <span style="font-style: italic">needs</span> a muzzle brake. i don't have one on it now and will shoot 50 rounds in an hour and a half without issue. i have no doubt a brake will get me back on target faster though. i will put a brake on it when i rebarrel or build a new 300 win mag (not sure which i am going to do at this point). </div></div>

Well .300 WM is certainly nothing to sneeze at, I can say that.

F/TR utilizes a very similar rifle to that which you'd use in your "tactical" matches, I'd assume (I'd love to shoot those tactical type matches, but I have no idea how to get into that here).

Brakes are annoying. That is why you see emotions flare when they are discussed here.

I wouldn't mind having one on my rifle if I was shooting alone, but I sure as hell don't want to be the asshole annoying everyone at the range with my loud rifle.

I guess I've never been one to care what other people think, but I also think it's senseless not to be courteous to others at the range.

I agree with Terry, in that at competitions brakes should all be squadded together.
I've got friends that have had rifles malfunction due to the guy next to them firing while they had an ECI in and the bolt open and when it was their turn they had crap in their chambers and triggers, and I personally have developed a flinch at matches when squadded near 300WM's w/JP brakes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is how close-in sniper fire support should look...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGJTpZ-OSI </div></div>Watch the trigger finger: is that a proper technique for precision fire with a self-loader?

Terry; in honesty, I might have gotten pissed some years back, but between my heart condition and PTSD, I have tried to cultivate a more even demeanor. It's necessary to my own situation. I'm not always successful, but I try. I get beat on by hot brass often enough. Some things go with the territory, but a direct and deliberate individual and personal effort to single me out harassemt is going to get my attention. I just have to recognize my limitations, and these days, any aggression on my part is likely to end badly for me.

Conditions define etiquette.

Taking a loud braked magnum to the range in a time period when it can be reasonably expected that the line will be crowded is inconsiderate. Saving such excursions for a less busy time slot is more considerate.

Many ranges have rules and they should be respected. Even without such rules, cooler heads would mitigate against introducing exceptionally load firearms to a serious, busy line.

In the specific case of the Odessa Matches, a consensus was sought and allowance was made to accept braked rifles. I respect that consensus, regardless of my personal views.

Greg

I have seen muzzle breaks make new shooters and recoil adverse people stop flinching, enjoy shooting and shrink group sizes by half. Conversely, I have seen people at adjoining benches start to flinch, and have there day ruined because of the concussion caused by the breaked rifle next to them.

There are those that will suggest learning shooters and recoil adverse people shoot .22 rimfires with cans, or if you can't be a real man and shoot an 8lb .340 Weatherby you shouldn't be shooting at all. My experience is that it is mostly the folks with the big boomers that have muzzle-breaks on their guns, not the people shooting .308 Winchester. I have started to wear buds and muffs when at the range; it helps control the sound. However, nothing helps control the concussion if you are next to a shooter with a break. To those up in arms about the breaks I suggest you get one and maybe you will shoot better; you will certainly get even. Have fun <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i think muzzle brakes on tactical rifles are here to stay. most of us have learned to deal with that. if you have the ability to segregate those with a brake, that would be great. that would be difficult at most matches, in my opinion. </div></div>

It's not difficult at all, in F-class. They're simply banned entirely...and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Equipment will never make someone into a shooter. If you can't hit shit without a brake, the brake will not make the difference.

But, as stated, a brake will tame ANY cartridge. </div></div>

my bad. i though we were discussing tactical type rifles, not f-class. good luck trying to ban muzzle brakes from all tactical matches.

i don't think anyone ever stated that a muzzle brake would turn a shitty shooter into a match winner. i don't feel my 15 lb 300 win mag shooting 210 vld's at 2950 <span style="font-style: italic">needs</span> a muzzle brake. i don't have one on it now and will shoot 50 rounds in an hour and a half without issue. i have no doubt a brake will get me back on target faster though. i will put a brake on it when i rebarrel or build a new 300 win mag (not sure which i am going to do at this point). </div></div>

Well .300 WM is certainly nothing to sneeze at, I can say that.

F/TR utilizes a very similar rifle to that which you'd use in your "tactical" matches, I'd assume (I'd love to shoot those tactical type matches, but I have no idea how to get into that here).

Brakes are annoying. That is why you see emotions flare when they are discussed here.

I wouldn't mind having one on my rifle if I was shooting alone, but I sure as hell don't want to be the asshole annoying everyone at the range with my loud rifle.

I guess I've never been one to care what other people think, but I also think it's senseless not to be courteous to others at the range.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No brake.

I can spot my own trace/impact. I can spot impacts at 100 yards in the prone. Not so much if I am in a unsteady/field position.

There are days I shoot 20 rounds. There are days I shoot 200 rounds. 308 is not a "shoulder pounder".

For competition where every advantage counts, I could see needing one. For general shooting or training, I see it as a crutch. If you are having trouble getting back on target, fix your technique not the rifle.

Just my $0.02 </div></div>
I think just about anyone can spot hits out to 100-250 yards. You can watch a bullet trace out past 400 yards and watch you bullet impact through the scope with a break on the rifle. Something I doubt you have done without one. A break allows you keep your eye on the target without trying to find the target after a hop. Put good BiPod loading and a good break and you will have a great time!

The whole bipod hop issue is improper shooting position.

I was having a hell of a time with my 300WM that weighs 17lb...20xSS so my FOV was small even at 1k, kept poping off target and having to search for it. I asked two further experianced than I shooters to correct my form by kicking me into position....doing so kept the rifle from hopping almost instantly and completly. It did however take my mild mannered rifle and put all the recoil into my body...all.....that is the correct way to shoot and if you shoot in poor position you can take alot more recoil because your body is not taking it...it rolls it away from your spine.

Point is if you are having hop problems work on technique.

To me brakes are frigging anoying, unless it is a 50cal that physically needs to have a brake....everybody knows to open your mouth and plug your ears around them though...at least after a few rounds.

Brakes on 223 and lesser rounds works if you shoot lonsomedove style and no one else is bothered by it. There will always be this disscussion just like "What caliber to buy for 1st Rifle" threads......so to those die hard brake shooters....next tie you line up...do your best to be ploite to the person next to you...put a mat under your brake and notify the surrounding shooters that they have a shit storm comming....at least give them time to prepare or run.

One thing I am curious about is it anybody makes a vertical only brake? Seems like it would push the barrel down, discharge away from fellow shooters???? Or is the single dirrection discharge detrimental to bullet flight? Somthing like Magna-porting on pistols.

Rant off.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is how close-in sniper fire support should look. Badger FTE on a DPMS 7.62:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGJTpZ-OSI </div></div>

that is some serious trigger slapping. In the famous words of Andrew or Cowboy Bravo, your not a pimp and the trigger isnt a hoe so stop slapping it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must have posted my technique on these forums for halting bipod hop in its tracks at least a dozen times by now.

I guess you can lead a horse to water, but...

I'm done here... </div></div>Greg, I appreciate all your fairly wise posts here. Would you mind posting a link to that for a noob? Thanks.

I like my brake but after 5 hours at the range I am starting to feel it in my head more and it lasts longer now. I took my brake off and will try the rifle again to compare. Nice having a factory threaded barrel.

Well, I did it. Got a Holland Quick Discharge brake installed on my .308, cant wait to shoot it. Pictures when I get the new battery for my camera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not a Tubb? </div></div>

its a Texan thing 427!!! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

if you have a match with 60 shooters and 90% of them have brakes, what are you going to do? have the 54 braked shooters on the line at one time and then have the remaining 6 take their turn? i am not sure how your match or matches you shoot at are run so i am probably not seeing something obvious.
</div></div>

At a lot of the stages at ASC last weekend they would just say, "If you have a brake, go to the right side of the line." Worked, and was was quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

if you have a match with 60 shooters and 90% of them have brakes, what are you going to do? have the 54 braked shooters on the line at one time and then have the remaining 6 take their turn? i am not sure how your match or matches you shoot at are run so i am probably not seeing something obvious.
</div></div>

At a lot of the stages at ASC last weekend they would just say, "If you have a brake, go to the right side of the line." Worked, and was was quick. </div></div>

that is the way a f class type match i shot a couple weeks ago worked. they allowed the guys (and gals) with brakes to shoot but placed them at the end of the line. this was very cool of them to allow us to shoot with them. i was on a spotting scope scoring for two people that both had brakes, one was a 260 with a brake i made and another was a 7wsm with what i think is a little bastard brake. i didn't even notice the 260 but i could tell the 7wsm had a brake. it didn't bother me in the least even though i was in about a direct path of it's sideways blast. i was hoping to get some gravel flung up at me from the brake but that never happened
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

At a lot of the stages at ASC last weekend they would just say, "If you have a brake, go to the right side of the line." Worked, and was was quick. </div></div>

Hope my brake wasn't too bad on ya Jamie.
smile.gif

Many matches around here throw the brakes together on one side of the line.

Man, after shooting beside y'all for half a day I already had a headache. Those are some effective brakes you were running! I needed some muffs to put on over my earplugs.

But, it was worth it obviously, since I stayed down there with y'all instead of going back to the unbraked side of the line.

I cannot believe how many festering vah-jay-jays are here. Y'all need to roll with it or turn in your man card.

Reactions: carlos-danger

Brakes are obnoxious and anti-social. If you like shooting alone, have at it. Far better solution is to get a suppressor...if you can. If you can't, a brake is still a terrible idea. Do you like to hunt? Do you think anyone wants to hunt with you if you have a brake?

If you've ever fired or stood near an M82, then you know how serious muzzle blast can get.

Spent some time at Quantico back in the 90's and they told us simply that you wear double hearing protection or you're deaf permanently, period.

I judge recoil and muzzle blast accordingly. Actually, recoil was not much different from a 12ga slug gun; very effective, but loud, brake.

Greg