• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brakes

Jowens

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2012
Middle TN
What are some of the brakes with the least back blast to the shooter? I've shot a few rifles that will blow you hair back with gases coming from the brake.

That's proof it's working......

The Ross Schuler brakes work well without objectionable back blast...... side blast is another story.

Last edited:
The muscle brake has its first port 90 degrees to help block the blast of the additional rearward angled baffles. My opinion only, but it offers a perfect mix of recoil reduction and minimal blast back for the shooter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I run a Surefire brake on a gas gun and, while it is louder to the shooter than a bare muzzle, it is more than comfortable for me to shoot.

I have a single chamber AAC on my 308
Its loud and the people next to me hate it.

Cut the recoil, what little there was, down to nothing

APA little bastard worked well for me. Fine behind it, loud to the sides.

I mostly shoot with cans now, so pleasant when I have the range to myself and don't need to wear hearing protection. That's a good long term route.

I have a Mini FTE and as stated above it is a loud son of a bitch to the side but no back blast.

I run JP, not much back blast, but if your on the side of it it will blow your ears, and your face. Its the Recoil Eliminator... and that it does.

I am contemplating on picking up the SilencerCO ASR brake as I want to get a specwar 7.62 once we get suppressors in Iowa.

I have a JP on my AR and don't feel much back blast at all, but then again it's only a .223. I have the JEC on my .308 and feel a bit of back blast but not to much, its much stronger if you are on the side of it.

I have a few KDF brakes, and while they are crazy loud, and side blast is tremendous, I have yet to feel any blast as the shooter.

I'm running the AAC Brakeout. There is no felt blast for the person behind the trigger.

20140619_172245.jpg
20140916_181724.jpg

I'm running a VAIS brake on my HS 300wsm. It does a great job at reducing recoil and I've never noticed any blast coming back towards me, but like others are stating, the concussion and noise to the side are pretty bad. The guys at the range found it amusing last week when a carpenter bee happened to be right next to the muzzle when I touched one off. He was disintegrated.

I use the JP reducers on my 7mm rm and .308 rifles. They do an excellent job of reducing recoil, without putting any backblast on the shooter. They also do a pretty good job of keeping the dust down, when shooting in the dirt.

Before I started using cans I used a Jp "tactical" recoil eliminator. Worked awesome

The brakes that come on POF rifles work good too. I put one on my belt fed M16 to reduce muzzle rise and it works great but you do get some concussion.

What are some of the brakes with the least back blast to the shooter?

The way a brake works is by directing gas, lots of it, in the opposite direction it would have gone if the brake were not present.
So, basically, brakes will ruffle your hair.

Anything less than a 300 WM with 208+ bullets does not need a brake, in my opinion.

A good compromise between rear/side blast and recoil reduction is Steyr's brake model used on SSG 04 and 08.

cism03.jpg

cism04.jpg

The idea is the same as for the muscle brake mentioned above -- the first chamber is oriented forward to let most of the noise go where it belongs, the next two chambers actually brake.

Tested it on .308 and .338, bought it, love it (and spotters love it too).