• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Muzzle Break Cleaning question.

smckenna03

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi All,

I am new to posting here, I have been a member for awhile just now getting into PRS shooting, I am new to shooting with a muzzle break and want to see what people are doing to clean them.

Thank you,
Shawn

Brass brush and solvent is probably the best way to remove caked up shit

Reactions: gconnoyer
Does your muzzle brake remove from the rifle easily? I set mine in a coffee can of CLR while I clean the rifle. Wipes clean with paper towel and Q-tips. I used to use elbow grease and the solvent of the day, but CLR cuts right through that crusted carbon.

Reactions: character0
Use an engine carb cleaner, boretech style cleaner or clr and put it in a something, I use a shot glass, coffee can could work too, and put the rifle, muzzle down in it and let the carbon get soft. Then take a wire brush to it. That really speeds it up. The clr will eat the annodization off given enough time but it does work well.

I do it when ever I notice the silencer scraping over the build up, it gets right crusty.

Fuel injector or carburator cleaner, let it soak for a while and brush it.

The best thing to do it clean it often. I often see guys spending hours soaking and scrubbing and trying different chemicals.

I just pull mine off after each range trip (mine is a suppressor mount so it gets dirty after just 100-200rds) clean the crown, and clean the brake.
I've found that Sweets 7.62 or a carbon remover work awesome.

I can pretty much just drizzle some sweets on, give it a quick scrub with a nylon or brass brush, make one pass and wipe it off.

I dunk mine in CLR, the carbon just dissolves off. My breaks are made from stainless and clr doesn’t have any adverse effects, that may not be the same with other metals.

I use CLR or Limeshine then wipe it off with a Qtip.

If you can protect your crown, or preferably remove it easily, a sandblaster makes short work of it. Pretty hot ticket for pistols at least.

I use a clean vegetable can, fill it most-way with a mix of Odorless Mineral Spirits and Hoppe's Oil (much more spirits than oil), and stand the rifle up muzzle down in the can overnight. The next day, the crud is pretty much all softened up and should wipe away easily. Repeat if needed. The area involving the barrel crown is where the most accuracy gain (if any) will come from. The oil penetrates and should provide good corrosion protection. Wipe it 'dry' before use or storage. For cleaning prior to long term storage, mix in a little white petroleum jelly.

Let time and the solvent do the work.

Greg

Last edited: