• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Break for 308?

N2DADARK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Im looking at getting a muzzle break for the end of my rem 700 308 sps varmint. I like the vortex I put on my Bushmaster but wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, flash isn't really a problem I would like a little stablizeation, any help would be great.

Re: Muzzle Break for 308?

you can't pick a bad one for the most part. Really comes down to how it looks to you. You can choose anything from a Surefire brake, to a Badger Thruster to a APA Little Bastard and about 100 more. You have to decide if you want to be able to remove it all the time or if it's on there on a more permanent basis. For the most part they all work about the same.

i purchased the surefire muzzle break and love it and when i move to a state that allows suppressors i can attach it to the muzzle break with no problems

I shot an AI with The Answer muzzle brake the other day. I really liked it, but have no idea about their quality, etc. Maybe others here can assist with this ...

Since when does a .308 need a muzzle break?

Now if your going to attach a suppressor to the MB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since when does a .308 need a muzzle break?

Now if your going to attach a suppressor to the MB </div></div>

My thought exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at getting a muzzle break for the end of my rem 700 308 sps varmint. I like the vortex I put on my Bushmaster but wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, flash isn't really a problem I would like a little stablizeation, any help would be great. </div></div>

Unless you are shooting from strange positions, I would suggest you just learn how to build a proper position.

Unless the fearsome recoil of the .308 is getting you....

I am playing with a break on my AR10 because I plan on using it from improvised shooting platforms. When you are upside down, shooting under cars, every little bit helps. From the bench, prone, etc. proper form will take care of "stabilizing" the rifle.

Can the surefire brake accept any suppressors or only the surefire? What's your thoughts on the surefire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimzal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the surefire brake accept any suppressors or only the surefire? What's your thoughts on the surefire? </div></div>

The SureFire brake will only work with the SureFire suppressor.

Chuck

If I plan on buying a non surefire suppressor, is having the surefire brake worth it? I mean is the brake actually that good, or is it just handy for surefire suppressor folks? What's a better option to have for a brake with the same threading as most suppressor, or a brake that can accept suppressors on top of it?

After shooting 208gr bullets in my .308 I got the Badger FTE brake. Very effective and I like how easy it is to index.

i like mine sf break it really helps reduce gun hop and recoil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cicastol</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://www.roedaleprecision.com/ </div></div>
This i what i was thinking before receiving a banana shape roedale muzzlebrake badly threaded off-axis,i'm still waiting reply from Pete,that promptly respond only for selling inquiry and not for support....
mad.gif

[/quote]

Hey cicastol,

It looks awesome
whistle.gif

I recently shot a .308 with one of RWS's muzzlebrakes installed and it shot like a .223 . Great for when you are shooting on your own and want to spot your own hits . I always wondered why you would want a brake on a .308 until I shot that rifle
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pat4668</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i purchased the surefire muzzle break and love it and when i move to a state that allows suppressors i can attach it to the muzzle break with no problems </div></div>

I did the same,. Only my state does allow suppressors I just don't have the cash for the ones I want just yet. I put the 7.62 suppressor addaptor / brake on my R700 5r .300 Win. Mag. & AR-10. That brake seriously tamed the recoil on my bolt gun and it should make my AR-10's recoil just about non existant, I'll have to see when I get it back from my builder.

Maybe think about a Surefire can,.. You'll pay out the ass for it but I seriously doubt you will be unhappy with it.

if you shoot from a bipod i wouldnt get one that has holes all the way around because they throw up alot of dirt.
another thing to consider is that good muzzle brakes are hard on cheap scopes. (not saying you have a cheap scope, just saying)

I shoot one on my TRG. I ordered it with the rifle.

Do I need it? Probably not. It's a heavy rifle and I shoot 168's with a relatively mild match load for cold bore accuracy at <300 yds, which is my max deployment range. But the recoil is so tame that I can follow my own trace and follow-up shots are instant. Accuracy is phenomenal.

People next to me on the firing line occasionally see the big TRG brake and are initially are afraid of blast and noise. But after a couple of shots realize it's nothing, so no issue there.

And, besides, I like it. Even if it has no effect on my shooting... that's reason enough for me.

If you want one, go for it. It certainly won't hurt.

Cheers,

Sirhr

After shooting a friends 243 with an Badger FTE I fell in love with the FTE. I always thought only magnum rounds were in need of a brake. My 6.5 cm barely moves now that I have an FTE on it.

I am considering a Badger for my 308, M700, I like the idea of a faster follow up shot and maybe catching the impact to be able to self spot.

Tomcat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: godofwar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey cicastol,

It looks awesome
whistle.gif
</div></div>

frown.gif
whistle.gif

Well thanks for all of you with the suggestions, I was looking at the JP brakes and it looks like a large chunk of hardware on the end of the barrel to have. I want a break because very rairly do I have someone to come spot with me, and I would like to stay on target as much as possable after making a shot. I shoot from both a bi-pod and from my range bag.....occasionaly my wife lets me from her shoulder. Also going thru around 100rnds on a setting is alot for my shoulder to take, as well as dirt, dust, rocks, and vegitation flying into the air. So for the ones who say "since when dose a .308 need a break" F**K off, do you know what I do for a living, how much I lift in a normal work day, if I have to hike with a pack on to get the range, how many times Ive fallen in a Motocross race, or how many times Ive dislocated my shoulder, pulled it out of socket, torn something, and/or had surgery on it...NO, if I wanted your oppinion on if a .308 need one I would have asked but I didnt I simply stated that I wanted to get one was looking into getting a vortex and asked for suggestions. So if you dont have any information that could help me with the process, or suggestions and product reviews, and only what to try to comment on someone whom you know nothing about look else where, cause I didnt ask you for you F**KING thoughts on myself, and if you have a problem with it then get your ass off your couch, or that fancy swiviling chair in your own personal reloading room and come see me in Iraq, Im here for the next 6 months.

I'm giving you suggestions, but do what you like. It's your money.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well thanks for all of you with the suggestions, I was looking at the JP brakes and it looks like a large chunk of hardware on the end of the barrel to have. I want a break because very rarely do I have someone to come spot with me,(<span style="color: #FF0000">Learn how to load a bi-pod, problem solved. Check out the online training here at Snipershide.)</span> and I would like to stay on target as much as possible after making a shot. I shoot from both a bi-pod and from my range bag.....occasionally my wife lets me from her shoulder. Also going thru around 100rnds on a setting is a lot for my shoulder to take,(<span style="color: #FF0000">I do the same and so does a lot of members here. Bi-pod loading also reduces the felt recoil</span>) as well as dirt, dust, rocks, and vegetation flying into the air.(<span style="color: #FF0000">Putting a break on the end of your stick isn't going to help here, only make matters worse.</span>) So for the ones who say "since when dose a .308 need a break" F**K off, do you know what I do for a living, how much I lift in a normal work day,(<span style="color: #FF0000">probably no more than me, I work outside for a living 50-60 hours a week. Again with a little training I believe you would find the break useless</span>) if I have to hike with a pack on to get the range, how many times I've fallen in a Motocross race, or how many times I've dislocated my shoulder, pulled it out of socket, torn something, and/or had surgery on it...NO,(<span style="color: #FF0000">Now if you have a medical reason I for one do not believe any member here would fault you for wanting, rather needing a break</span>) if I wanted your opinion on if a .308 need one I would have asked (<span style="color: #FF0000">You need to understand this question is asked very often. More often then not it's for taticool reasons, that's why you got some guff about breaking a .308</span>)but I didn't I simply stated that I wanted to get one was looking into getting a vortex and asked for suggestions. So if you don't have any information that could help me with the process, or suggestions and product reviews, and only what to try to comment on someone whom you know nothing about look else where, cause I didn't ask you for you F**KING thoughts on myself, and if you have a problem with it then get your ass off your couch, or that fancy swiveling chair in your own personal reloading room and come see me in Iraq, I'm here for the next 6 months. (<span style="color: #FF0000">There are many, many, many, members here that have been there done that, still doing that and so fourth. Your asking members not to judge you without merit but at the same time casting your own judgment upon the members here. Your begging to get flamed, and you will be obliged. I would suggest for future posting be as detail oriented as possible. This will result in meaningful responses. (for the most part</span>)</div></div>

Here are a few videos from the online training. These videos show what loading the bi-pod can do for you, enjoy, and try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some videos where you can clearly see the muzzle moving in a straight line.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqFH0A7Py1Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqFH0A7Py1Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VjG1JZxiui0&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VjG1JZxiui0&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Yeah I guess Im a little out of line but the movies are alot better then saying that you dont feel you need a muzzle break. Trying to help out is alot better stating your opinion and leaving it at that, just tired of it I guess. Just a bad time lost a good ridding buddy yesterday and Im stuck in the freaken beach with no water or alcohol or hot chicks.......By the way its not Francis, Gaylord...<-- humor

It's "brake" ... not "break" fer fuks sake. Geezus.
mad.gif

What a buncha maroons.
smirk.gif

Now I'm not gonna claim to be an expert at the precision rifle thing, but it seems to me there are two ways people build into their rifle to mitigate the effects of recoil (this is aside from the techniques used to deal with it)and that it muzzle brakes and weight. Anyone with a rifle that weighs more than 10 pounds should probably not be bashing someone for using a brake.

I am not going to get into rather you should have one or not. But I will tell you I prefer the brakes that exit from the top and sides. Bottom exits seem to kick up a lot of dust. Again not a deal breaker, but something to consider if shooting in dusty conditions.

Am still building my first long-range rifle platform (Savage 10 FP- LEA2). Should be getting my rings (Farrell's) tomorrow (the last puzzle piece). I had my .308 barrel threaded 5/8-24 so I could experiment with brakes and FHs. I shoot with several guys who have the SEI QC cans, so I bought the SEI USCG style brake and the Vortex so I could use their cans on occassion. I have read nothing about SEI products on the 'Hide yet. The guys at SEI go a long way to supporting our troops, even donating their products to front-line operators (or so their web-site states) hint-hint. Had a few phone conversations with Ron Smith (a no-nonsense guy)and he stated that SIG recently rated a sample of his USCG brake as the most effective they have seen. I'll let you know what I discovered once I've mounted my glass (SN3 3.2-17X ERGO) and punch some paper. Best Regards!! Joe

Damn, since when should anyone feel the need to defend thier desire to have a brake on ANY rifle? Since when does reducing recoil on ANYTHING have any kind of negative effect? He asked for advice on brake effectivness and instead (along with good advice) got schooled on what he needs and what he dosn't. There's several reasons to brake a weapon, making it more comfortable to shoot is just one.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, since when should anyone feel the need to defend thier desire to have a brake on ANY rifle? Since when does reducing recoil on ANYTHING have any kind of negative effect? He asked for advice on brake effectivness and instead (along with good advice) got schooled on what he needs and what he dosn't. There's several reasons to brake a weapon, making it more comfortable to shoot is just one.

okie </div></div>

+1

Brakes on EVERYTHING

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it aint broke it needs a break </div></div>

lmfao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, since when should anyone feel the need to defend thier desire to have a brake on ANY rifle? Since when does reducing recoil on ANYTHING have any kind of negative effect? He asked for advice on brake effectivness and instead (along with good advice) got schooled on what he needs and what he dosn't. There's several reasons to brake a weapon, making it more comfortable to shoot is just one.

okie </div></div>

and many reasons not to
wink.gif

Which has was told. Most people asking about putting one on a .308 are going with the fashion route and would not understand why for the little you gain you can be giving up a fair bit more. Should it be assumed people know what they are doing and allow them to make mistakes or should people try and help by presenting both sides of an issue?

I have no issues with people making an informed choice. IF he has some injury, IF he can't cope with recoil, IF it's a female shooter who is going to be using it and can't cope with recoil, lots of reasons why he should and should not get one. Maybe he just wanted one! Best to present the facts and let him decide. Which was done
wink.gif
I also saw enough in his posts to think he was not aware of all the factors needed to make an informed choice......

Besides blast of debree from prone (which can be greatly deminished by design) and cost, what are the many negative reasons? So far, I think most that've been mentioned are positive so lets inform him. There seems to be an assumption that low tollerence to recoil is the problem the OP is dealing with even though he never mentioned that. I'm not saying a brake is needed or not on a 308, thats always gonna be an opinion based on what use is intended. Just saying "need or not" was not the question asked by the OP. You assumed he was uninformed and maybe I made an assumption too but there always seems to be some swingin dicks waitin to call someone pussy for wanting a brake on a non mag rifle when recoil is only one small reason. Not wantin to start any shit just sayin..........to each his or her own. Good shootin, braked or not.
smile.gif

okie

shit we just built a 243AI that shoots 105 A Max's out fast with a massive break the owner sits on his back verandah and nails any critters coming into his crop out to 500m with it and he has zero recoil and can see the critters explode. did he need a break No i shot the rifle with it and without but with the break it is awsome fun to shoot.
Now he is on his own property and the noise he makes is his problem but the rifle actualy has a negative recoil impulse jumping forward with a tracker stock and heavy barrel.

So i say go for it it is your shoice as for a good break the SSG V port breaks work well as do the Lawton breaks. we just fitted a JP break this week and it was 12"28 we were disapointed in the threading on it as we cut the threads perfectly but the break threads were oversize making a sloppy fit and we had a new tap to cut the thread cap that is a snug fit on the barrel so dont think it is the barrel threading. Just not what i expected from them. Also their breaks have a larger hole to allow for stacked tolerences as they stated.

Any break with side ports and a small amount of top porting will serve you well just dont get a break with bottom ports they throw shit everywhere.

I have a break on my 223 because I need one, not want but need. People chuckle when I mention a have a brake on a 223 and make the usual wimp or pussy comments until they hear the reason why.

The reason I NEED a brake on a 223 is because I am very recoil sensitive. The reason I am is that I was in a helicopter crash in 2008. The impact did a lot of damage to my back that the recoil aggravates when I shoot. Even the lowly 223 had enough recoil to cause me pain after a few strings if I don't have it braked. I can enjoy shooting now with the brake when before it was to painful.

My brake is one with side ports and a few top holes. It works well enough I can see hits out to 400 yards in a 12x scope.

Dolomite

Nice break, DK. I need to grab one for my WSM, that one makes the short list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it aint broke it needs a break </div></div>

The awesomeness of this post cannot be contained.

You should visit motorcycling forums and educate the plebs.
mad.gif

The vais works great and is easy to fit. I often shoot prone so its not an option. It throws dirt in my face. Ive been using the badger fte and will use no other.