• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle break suggestions for sps 223

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Mark at short action customs just finished my sps Remington 223 and thinking of puttin a muzzle break on it any suggestions thanks guys

Re: Muzzle break suggestions for sps 223

Is recoil a pretty big concern for you on a .223? Would you like something that is easily removable? Do you want something that matches the contour of the barrel? How much is the rifle going to weight in the first place? Most of the time a muzzle break on a 223 makes them more loud than anything especially depending on rifle weight.

That's true thanks for the comment mark threded the barrel he suggested a muzzle break or a suppressor so I'm thinkin about that but money is money suppressors are not cheap

Think about this. The reason for a brake on an AR is for rapid followup shots. You can't "double tap" with a bolt gun. You are still going to need to run the bolt.

All a brake on a .223 700 will be is a noise reflector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

+1, I usually put breaks on everything, but On my current .223 build, I'm just threading for a can. Dont need a break on it.

Ok sounds good thanks I'll just go for the can now I'll have to pinch pennies for it

Or just have a thread protector made to match the contour of the barrel. I have a savage fcp-k 223 that came with a muzzle brake. I actually took it off and am taking it to a local gunsmith tomorrow to have them turn it down to be just that - a contour-matched thread protector...

Had a break on a Browning A-bolt, made it very obnoxious on the ears!

Fitting a can is a much better option, nice and quiet and hardly any felt recoil.

I agree with all the other posters.Cans are great with a 223 bolt gun,brakes suck,way too much noise.Just go with a thread protector until you get your can.

Gotta agree. Don't run a break unless you need the recoil reduction. Just too loud.

Wow, wish I could have have warned you, if I were you go with what your you want to, Im sure like myself you had something in mind I would go with it other wise asking on this site will only get you this

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=157818&Number=1738592#Post1738592 http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...592#Post1738592

30% want to help you out, the others just want an reaction and see what they post on there screen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think about this. The reason for a brake on an AR is for rapid followup shots. You can't "double tap" with a bolt gun. You are still going to need to run the bolt.

</div></div>

+1 - only brake I have on a .223 is an AR - it's a 3 gun rifle so you need to be able to double tap. Not necessary in a .223 bolt gun.