• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle Break

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
I shoot a R700 Short Tactical 1:12 twist. If I added a muzzle break will it + or - muzzle velocity or have any effect at all on it?

Re: Muzzle Break

velocity..... probably wont effect it enough to make it a + or - .

its there to soften the recoil... not help velocity.

the recoil is not that bad but the rifle jumps or bucks up really bad. Would a break help that? that is what I am trying to stop.

If the muzzle break is machined correctly it should not affect anything negatively. In most cases it helps the shooter not flinch, thus your groups shrink by a fraction.And yes it will help the rifle not "buck up" as much. It will be louder though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You Are correct SIR. That Damn spelling police LOL</div></div>

Trust me, you don't want a muzzle break
smile.gif

Sorry for the newbie mistake guys. wont happen again, or you can break my scull if I ever spell a muzzle brake as break.

The brake will not effect your velocity but it may your accuracy if it is a non-symmetrical design.I love to shoot my .308 with brake installed but personel to my left and right of me vacate the benches.I use double hearing protection when I shoot High power rifles with brakes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use double hearing protection when I shoot High power rifles with brakes</div></div>

I use double protection all the time now, even with pistols. My ears are still young enough that I can hear range commands when I am doubled up.

Re: Muzzle Brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brake will not effect your velocity but it may your accuracy if it is a non-symmetrical design.</div></div>

I personally do not buy this,
my 308 shot the same group size unbraked/braked/suppressed...
I did see a small POI shift, and the suppressor afforded slightly different velocities and smaller ES/SD....
my brake was not symmetric and installed by me (ie, a monkey with a lathe)

YMMV

I shoot a 300 WM currently and use a brake. Works great and doesn't effect accuracy at all. Actually it helps. Probably because it eliminates alot of the felt recoil and the rifle doesn't jump any where near as much as it does without the brake. With a 1" Decel pad and the brake on this rifle, felt recoil is near non existant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spelling and grammar aside. A properly installed brake will not affect accuracy. </div></div>

This