• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzle Dia on 300 Win Mag 5r

TaylorM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2008
Cedar Point,KS
Hey guys i just ordered a 5r chambered in 300 Win Mag 26" I have found some conflicting info on the muzzle dia. Was wondering if anyone had one and or new for sure the dia.? I was wanting to go ahead and order a brake.So I can get it threaded and installed as soon as I have it in my hands.

Re: Muzzle Dia on 300 Win Mag 5r

They run .835"ish. By a brake that can be tunred down and blended to the OD of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option is to buy a brake such as the Badger FTE and then you do not need to worry about barrel diameter. </div></div>

Why do you think that? Wouldn't the barrel still need to be turned down to a specific diameter for the Badger to fit?

There is a flat that needs to be turned down for the FTE. I'd look at the Badger Thruster or APA Little Bastard.

So if a factory 5R or 700P barrel is threaded,5/8x24 this brake will work with no other modification?

Side venting brakes like the Thruster and Little Bastard have to be timed (vents to the sides) other than that, no. Thay are however blended for cosmetic reasons but the function is same/same.

I thought they were in the .830ish catagory but I was told some came out in the .900 diameter. Didn't think that was right but it never hurts to ask. Plaining on having it turned just wanted to have the right starting point.

I don't understand, I guess it would help to see what is being done to the barrel or the parts of the brake.

I thought it just gets screwed on and then tightened like a clamp around the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand, I guess it would help to see what is being done to the barrel or the parts of the brake.

I thought it just gets screwed on and then tightened like a clamp around the barrel. </div></div>

Barrel needs to be turned down like this for the FTE to work.
fte5.jpg

fte2.jpg

It depends on the brake. A brake that vents 360 Vais doesn't need to be timed, just threaded and installed. A holland,thruster, etc. has to be timed so the ports are to the side not vertical. An FTE brake is threaded and also has a machined clamping surface. It's not timed but still a side port brake.

Thanks Randy, now I see what needs to be done for this to fit, a specific diameter is needed for the clampnig area, so this is a gunsmith insall only.

I like it, might need one on my 700P 300wm.

I have a first production run model 5R with a 24" barrel and the muzzle is .830. I am not sure how old it is but it does have the new adjustable X-Pro trigger on it. I don't know what the difference is between the 24" and the 26" model but the 24's came with a 20MOA picatinny base made by Ken Farrell on them.