• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Threading...Could I Kill My Accuracy?

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    I've got a couple of older rifles, a Winchester M70 "Heavy Varmint" and a Tikka M595 Master Sporter from the 1990s that are both tack drivers. I recently got my first suppressor and as I was warned, I now hate shooting anything without one. So I am considering having the muzzles of these two rifles threaded. Assuming the work is done correctly by a skilled gunsmith, is there any reason to fear that the accuracy of the rifles could be negatively affected? I know the POI will change when using the can, but that doesn't bother me since it's easily accounted for.

As long as the one doing the work knows what they are doing it should not affect them at all

Reactions: Arc Light
    Thanks guys, that makes me feel better about doing it.

Are most gunsmiths able to thread a muzzle with the action attached? Can it be done without damaging the finish on the barrel?

To the best of my knowledge, only rimfire suffers accuracy issues due to muzzle threads.

Every factory rifle I've had threaded was done with the action attached. If you are located in GA, I can tell you who I go to.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better about doing it.

Are most gunsmiths able to thread a muzzle with the action attached? Can it be done without damaging the finish on the barrel?
    How big are the muzzles? Which can? What caliber are the rifles?

If you stick with the minimum muzzle diameter threads that Thunderbeast recommends (even if it isn't a tbac) you should be fine. Adding the weight of the can could change group sizes some but that's because you are adding a weight and changing harmonics.

LRI can do it. They 5 axis threadmill the muzzles.

Reactions: VargmatII
    Go with the largest dia thread you can to keep the wall thickness as heavy as possible.