• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle threading?

Whit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Ohio
I have a question? I noticed that on brownells website on the muzzle threading bits that there is different , I am guessing thread angles ( square, 55 degree, 60 degree). What the different degree's for? Does it matter what's used? I never noticed when ordering a muzzle brake, ect they never say. If you have a threaded muzzle with a 55degree can a threaded brake with a square thread be used?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...bits/barrel-threading-lathe-bits-prod715.aspx

Last edited:
Get a machiney's handbook. Most threads are 60 deg. We've always hand ground our square bits. Good to know where to buy. The square threads are really common on shotgun mag tube extensions. I've not seen them too many other places.

55 degree threading bits would be correct for the breech end of Mauser barrels

Brownells also offers specifics in the descriptions, I cut and pasted the one from the link below:

Square Thread Bits cut true 10 tpi, square, barrel threads for '03 Springfields and Enfields. 55° Threading Bits have offset cutter and are the correct bit when threading barrels for 98 Mausers. 60° Threading Bits have cutter offset to left for closest cut possible. All types have clearance cuts.