• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle threads

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
What dictates Muzzle thread size?
I am building a .223 bolt rifle. I am gathering all the parts now. Does a .223 have to be 1/2x28 or is 5/8x24 fine too? I ask as I have a TBAC Ultra 7 .30 I will use on this rifle also. They make a 1/2" mount and a 5/8" mount (like on my .308)

Barrel will most likely be a light or med palma @ 22".

Thank you.

I you plan to use a 30 cal screw on can on the 223 the cans thread will dictate what you need on the 223 barrel assuming it is a large enough diameter to do it.

No sir, my can uses their CB mount. They make the mount to fit either thread size. So, in this case the can does not dictate which size.

If it were me I would go 5/8-24 if the barrel is large enough to do so it’s really the barrel that dictates size of thread if its a Thin barrel then you would have to go 1/2-28 always go with largest thread you can but some time equipment will dictated thread size also good luck

I’m doing the same thing for a .223AI and will have it threaded 5/8x24. I want more meat at the muzzle. My only concern was giving up a little effectiveness on the brake when the can is not on due to the .30 cal aperture on the brake vs the .223 caliber aperture on the .223 brake. I figured with the light recoil it doesn’t really matter anyway.